• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Datres

TOWSON 77, ELON 60 (story up)

https://towsontigers.com/news/2018/12/28/mens-basketball-tigers-roar-past-elon-77-60.aspx

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=242068

When did Alex Thomas morph into Raul de Pablo?????  Holy crap, if he ever gets consistent with that 15-17 foot jumper, that's going to open things up.  Offensively, great job working the ball around and getting open looks.  Took care of the ball for the most part and didn't force too much.  Got a little raw around the basket with Solomon but that'll come.  Dottin at the point seemed to calm things down and I like how he penetrates looking for something to happen.  To me, he's a much better ballhandler than Howard is.

Defensively, we got a lot of 1-and-dones at that end.  Rebounding was on point the entire game, even more so in the 2nd half.  And they did a decent job of paying attention to the shooters and keeping them from lighting it up from 3.

1-0, on to Williamsburg.

Went on a 34-6 run in the second half. Fobbs and Howard both had 21 points. We shot 10 of 17 from 3-point range. That probably won't happen again but I think it's all about spacing, better passing and playing Howard more off the ball. If you watch him shooting off the dribble, he's bad. When he sets his feet, he can make shots. Fobbs was very unselfish tonight with five assists. We actually had 13 in the second half.

10 for 17 from 3!!!   Warriors like..  well last season Dubs!!!!

Correcf me if I’m wrong..  we have “4” Juniors starting.  

William & Mary coming to play Sunday..  was hoping only Mary. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

I’m loving the crow I’m eating, after I predicted we’d lose 56-53. Heck, we scored 53 in the 2nd half alone. Hoping this wasn’t an aberration, but great way to start the conference season. So refreshing to see good shooting. Hope we keep it up in Williamsburg on Sunday 

Look, not sure we'll have another road win other than Drexel so I was hoping this would be the one. Then Santa Ana starts with that cast on his left thumb and still plays pretty well. Seibring drains some tough shots, gets hurt twice but the rest of the group is not very good. Here some quotes from Skerry after the game on the radio.

Nice as we go from laughingstock last Saturday to first conference win.

"Elon is a good offensive team. Our defensive numbers in the second half was not where we wanted it to be. We had just seven turnovers. Our junior college guards were great, Fobbs and Howard. Did the job on the backboards"

"I should play Jakigh (Dottin) more. We wanted Allen (Betrand) or Jordan on Santa Ana. We wanted Dennis or Alex on Seibring. Trying to wear those two guys down"

"Didn't guard as well as we wanted do. Better spacing in the second half on offense. We have guys that can shoot. Lost heartbreaking games at the buzzer against Elon (in the past) Have played better since Bahamas. Big environment on Sunday against Tribe."

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m loving the crow I’m eating, after I predicted we’d lose 56-53. Heck, we scored 53 in the 2nd half alone. Hoping this wasn’t an aberration, but great way to start the conference season. So refreshing to see good shooting. Hope we keep it up in Williamsburg on Sunday 

Just have to enjoy the win. SEVEN TURNOVERS. At least they're unpredictable but again, it's Fobbs and we need one other player to step up. Tonight it was Howard but Thomas was huge and Sanders had a strong second half until he picked up that fourth foul on that hedge. Dottin and Solomon do have a future. Betrand has struggled on offense but his defense is pretty good. He has to give us 15 minutes a game with Timberlake out.

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Mat, maybe you’re on to something with suggesting Howard & Dottin play together 

I think it's a pretty good idea because Dottin can at least try to draw Howard's defender off of him with his penetration and then kick it out to a set Howard for shots.  I thought when Dottin was in the game early 2nd half, Skerry didn't do him any favors by not having any offense on the floor -- no Howard, no Fobbs.  Until Betrand finds his offense, he's not that great of an option.  But when Howard came into the game and the two of them were out there together, things opened up more.  That and Thomas decided to shoot lights out.

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Mat, maybe you’re on to something with suggesting Howard & Dottin play together 

Yeah, thanks. I thought you agreed with that earlier but Pat had mentioned that over the summer. I wondered why he didn't and it's mainly due to defense. But against a tough press or just to change things around, no reason why you can't play them together about 7-10 minutes per game. As I've noticed lately, Howard can shoot it when you set him up and he sets his feet. That's what Fobbs did tonight. But Howard off the dribble is nearly as bad as McNeill. We just don't have guys that can score off the dribble other than Fobbs at times. So you need better spacing, better passing.