• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB thread 2021-22

PAC 12 been the same way.  Montgomery while at Stanford would never do. 
Cal has done more but they have also been irrelevant for a long time.  
Hats off to Jay Wright and Villanova cause they continue the Big 5 tradition.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

12 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

He's right and even though they lost tonite, it's going to help them down the line in conference play when they're in a hostile situation.  Could also help in the NCAA Tournament if they get there and they're playing a mid-major and the arena is against them.  I think more coaches should do it.  Would Texas have rather lost to Abilene Christian at Abilene in December or do it in front of the whole nation on the big stage in March?  Plus, it's good for the game when the big boys go into the smaller arenas and sell them out.  If we could get someone marquee-worthy into SECU and we sell the place out (even if it's with the opposition's fans) and then play decently, that could be a good marketing tool.  But it's nice to see a team like Virginia do this and I'd love to see other big name teams do the same.

I dont get why we dont do 2 for 1's with the likes of nova / rutgers / umd / etc

34 minutes ago, sr16 said:

I dont get why we dont do 2 for 1's with the likes of nova / rutgers / umd / etc

I am sure we would LOVE to do 2 for 1's with those that you mentioned among others but it is those type of teams that don't want to come to the SECU.  We've played at Pitt twice in the last few years?  I won't expect them to visit us anytime soon.  We have also played Villanova a few times but I am not holding my breath for a return trip.  Home or away I am kind f surprised we have not played Rutgers yet.  Would have been ideal to play them this year, talk about a vulnerable BIG10 squad.   

The only way such schools make visits to the likes of our arena usually is if there is some sort of relationship that the visiting coach has with the school.  Skerry's relationship with Pitt I guess only has garnered two trips to the 'burgh.  UVA's loss last night to JMU have many of the Power 5 schools nodding their heads and saying "See that's why we play at home until conference."  

So I'm just gonna keep laughing at these big-name teams when they lose to the mid-majors in the tournament because the coaches are too scared/elitist to get themselves in a hostile situation in November or December when a loss there really doesn't matter to them.  You think a tourney team like Ohio State is gonna get hurt much by a loss on the road at Akron now?  Not hardly.  Will they be hurt by a loss to Akron in a neutral site in the 4-13 game of the NCAA Tournament?  You're damn right they will be.  Duke is another great example.  K won't go into another team's gym unless forced to by the Big Ten/ACC Challenge schedule.  Whenever he'd play Temple 'on the road', he'd play them in the Wells Fargo Center instead of playing them on campus (10,000-seat arena).  Duke's history of flameouts or near flame-outs to mid-major teams in the last 7-8 years is documented.  As a college basketball fan, games like Virginia at James Madison and UNC at Charleston are a lot spicier than the other way around.  But the vast majority of power 5 conference coaches are either too elitist or too scared (or both) to take a risk on just one game in their non-con season.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

So I'm just gonna keep laughing at these big-name teams when they lose to the mid-majors in the tournament because the coaches are too scared/elitist to get themselves in a hostile situation in November or December when a loss there really doesn't matter to them.  You think a tourney team like Ohio State is gonna get hurt much by a loss on the road at Akron now?  Not hardly.  Will they be hurt by a loss to Akron in a neutral site in the 4-13 game of the NCAA Tournament?  You're damn right they will be.  Duke is another great example.  K won't go into another team's gym unless forced to by the Big Ten/ACC Challenge schedule.  Whenever he'd play Temple 'on the road', he'd play them in the Wells Fargo Center instead of playing them on campus (10,000-seat arena).  Duke's history of flameouts or near flame-outs to mid-major teams in the last 7-8 years is documented.  As a college basketball fan, games like Virginia at James Madison and UNC at Charleston are a lot spicier than the other way around.  But the vast majority of power 5 conference coaches are either too elitist or too scared (or both) to take a risk on just one game in their non-con season.

The difference is that the Tournament is at a neutral site and high major programs play mid majors at home or in tournaments. Does it really hurt them to lose? Not necessarily computer wise. Ask the alums of schools that lost to mid majors on the road. As for Towson, I would play a 2 for 1 just to get a big name team at home but that’s me.

2 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

Not to go down a rabbit hole here but Duke is not a great example.  They have as many national titles (2) as they do "upset" losses (2) in the tournament over their last 10 NCAA tournament appearances.  Anybody in the nation would take this success over a 10 year period. 

2009-2010- National Title

2010-2011- Sweet 16 loss to Arizona (Duke 1 Arizona 5)

2011-2012- Round of 64 loss to Lehigh

2012-2013- Elite 8 loss to Louisville (Duke 1 Ville 2)

2013-2014- Round of 64 loss to Mercer

2014-2015- National Title

2015-2016- Sweet 16 loss to Oregon (Duke 4 Oregon 1)

2016-2017- Round of 32 loss to South Carolina (Duke 2 SC 7, SC went to final 4 that year) 

2017-2018- Elite 8 loss to Kansas (Duke 2 Kansas 1)

2018-2019- Elite 8 loss to Michigan State (Duke 1 Mich St 2)

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

Not to go down a rabbit hole here but Duke is not a great example.  They have as many national titles (2) as they do "upset" losses (2) in the tournament over their last 10 NCAA tournament appearances.  Anybody in the nation would take this success over a 10 year period. 

2009-2010- National Title

2010-2011- Sweet 16 loss to Arizona (Duke 1 Arizona 5)

2011-2012- Round of 64 loss to Lehigh

2012-2013- Elite 8 loss to Louisville (Duke 1 Ville 2)

2013-2014- Round of 64 loss to Mercer

2014-2015- National Title

2015-2016- Sweet 16 loss to Oregon (Duke 4 Oregon 1)

2016-2017- Round of 32 loss to South Carolina (Duke 2 SC 7, SC went to final 4 that year) 

2017-2018- Elite 8 loss to Kansas (Duke 2 Kansas 1)

2018-2019- Elite 8 loss to Michigan State (Duke 1 Mich St 2)

Duke did play Elon “at home” in the Greensboro coliseum a few years ago. They split the gate but that’s more than Elon woulda made Hosting radford or Campbell at home. Got their logo on center court which is good for tv.  That’s a game where Grayson Allen got ejected for tripping someone (not a shocker)

One thing we have to remember about scheduling home games against high-major teams or high-profile programs is that you want a team that would sell out the place. Pitt is not selling out the place. Maryland would and so would elite Big 10 and ACC programs. But they aren't coming, even if we offer two-for-one. Now, there are teams that want two-for-one, that aren't worth it. You aren't going to sell out SECU by playing an A-10 team, no matter how good or bad they are. Not Mason. Not VCU. Not Temple. Not Duquesne. 

I guess the key to playing North Carolina is hiring somebody like Tyler Hansbrough or some former UNC player as an assistant and maybe Hubert Davis would come up here.