• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB outlasts Delaware 69-62

Good defense always saves shaky offense. This team seems to be locked in on the road. Now they have to do it at home on Thursday and Saturday. Unfortunately we don’t get a real break until early February so our bench is going to be needed.

Was last night Skerrys “biggest” win in 5+ years??  On the road against, what could be our biggest rival, down a key player for most of the game, and hanging on to beat a pretty good Delaware team who was 7-0 at home on the year. 
Their only losses were @Davidson. @Temple. @uncw. @hofstra. Neutral to Oakland and Iona. Those are all teams well over 500

They gave us a little flashback of the uncw game last night. Up by like 12 then having the lead dwindle away, but this time we dug deep and pulled out the W. Gotta love that progress in the program. Lots of teams of the past would have faltered on the road after giving up that lead. Kudos to the staff and team on an impressive win! Guys on this board have talked about that “killer instinct” I really wanna see our guys put teams away in the second half, get a lead, then put their foot on their throats and keep running the lead up to 20. Our team has a lot of nice guys but when the mask comes on and it’s game time we need them to be assassins. When things are grim, be the grim reaper! Would love to sweep the hens back to back! Thursday can’t come soon enough 

• Like 1

Good to see us win another game that required us to be mentally tough down the stretch. That is now two of those in three games with the win over Charleston in similar fashion. Of course, UNC-Wilmington out toughed (I know now a real word) us down the stretch and they have been doing that to everyone. It wasn't pretty, but I think it says a lot about the character of this team that they did this with Nolan Jr. getting hurt midway through the game, against one of the most talented teams in the conference (seems like it is Delaware, us and maybe Hofstra, although I know UNC-W begs to differ) on the road, and in their fifth game in nine days.

Matt, I always appreciate you posting the postgame quotes, and when I read Skerry's quote about not being able to practice and the schedule it seemed like an excuse. However, when I went back and looked I realized because of make-up games we were playing two more games (11 total) in January then anyone else in the conference. We have just played a stretch from January 15-24, where we had one day off in between four of the five games and two days in between the other one. I think one or two other teams had similar schedules in the stretch (I believe UNC-W was one of them). That being said, I like the grit and determination this group has show. 

The health of Hicks and Nolan Jr. was mentioned earlier in this thread, and even though we are still able to beat quality teams I really hope we can get Nolan Jr. healthy and back into the flow of the team before the conference tournament. I really feel like when both Nolan Jr. and Holden are playing well and everyone else can slide into supporting roles and lean into their strengths we are a team that could be favored to win the conference. Without Nolan Jr. at a high level we still have a chance, but it will be a little more of a crapshoot and we will have to continue to with toughness like we did last night. 

I only listened and did not get to see the game so I don't know how much to attribute to our defense holding Delaware to 5-26 from three-point shooting range, but I imagine they will shoot better on Thursday. It was good to see us outrebound Delaware, grab 10 offensive boards and go to the free-throw line 20 times. I like it when we can combine the good characteristics of the past Skerry teams (offensive rebounding and getting to the free-throw line) with some of the timely outside shooting and Holden's consistency (even though he is obviously still getting back to full strength). 

• Like 2

Good bounce back win. Always good to beat the hens. Forgot the game was on (some may have missed me in the chat and welcomed that..).. lol

26 minutes ago, tualum said:

Good bounce back win. Always good to beat the hens. Forgot the game was on (some may have missed me in the chat and welcomed that..).. lol

The jinx!  How much do you want to stay away for the rest of the year?! 😅

• Haha 1

I think we can continue to remain competitive for the regular season but I dont think we have much of a chance to win 3 games in 3 days in the conference tournament without a healthy Nolan.  I think we need his presence on both ends of the floor and you see how our assist rate goes down when he's out.  I hope he take the right amount of time to get fully healthy and can be back on the floor for the late season stretch. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

I think we can continue to remain competitive for the regular season but I dont think we have much of a chance to win 3 games in 3 days in the conference tournament without a healthy Nolan.  I think we need his presence on both ends of the floor and you see how our assist rate goes down when he's out.  I hope he take the right amount of time to get fully healthy and can be back on the floor for the late season stretch. 

I tend to agree, though hope I’m wrong. Without him on offense we lose a semi-consistent scorer, but, more importantly, a ball distributor. And without him, we become much slower at the guard position on D, although if Hicks returns that would help. No one knows when either Nolan or Hicks will be back, or even if 1 or both will be back at all. Needless to say, their health is priority 1, but we have to at least acknowledge the possibility that they may be out for extended periods of time, with the worst case scenario being out for the rest of the season 

3 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The jinx!  How much do you want to stay away for the rest of the year?! 😅

10k should do.. lol