• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB dominates No. 1 UNCW 79-55

Huge W in a hostile environment. Held UNCW to 16 made baskets and only 3 3’s, dominated them on the boards and had 17 assists to their 4. Great balanced scoring, with 53% shooting and 50% on 3’s. Just wow. C of C will be tough on Saturday, but hopefully the momentum from tonight will carry over. Wilmington still has a couple tough games. And Hofstra is right in the mix, with probably the easiest remaining schedule between the three teams 

Ok, so UNCW showed Monday night in an overtime game that you can only get behind so many times before it bites you in the ass. Maybe they were a bit tired tonight since we didn't play on Monday, but we've been on the other side of that. They are an excellent team, but tonight we beat them, their sell-out crowd and Teddy TV. In what universe does soft-spoken Juwan Gray foul out on a charge and technical foul or Cam Holden pick up a block because he flopped? Didn't UNCW players flop 4 or 5 times tonight and we saw no blocking fouls?

Anyhow, forget the refs. This was about avenging a bad loss in a game where we had a 12-point lead at home and couldn't hold on. This team showed two weeks ago that they could beat a very good Hofstra team on the road without the same raucous crowd. Now, they beat a team that might not be quite as talented, but they certainly know how to win. I think it started with slowing dowing Phillips, who killed us the first game and in OT. Playing zone, putting all sorts of defenders on him including Nolan, Rizzuto and just bigger and longer defenders helped. I also think Charles did a great job helping out anybody that beat our guards off the dribble. He was there just for an intimidation factor. The little things really help. Charles' offensive production could be the difference in the tournament. His rebounding has also been terrific lately.

Jason Gibson really had some onions tonight in those three 3-pointers in the second half. I thought Rizzuto played his best all-around game of the season. Not just the three-pointers, but defending and using his strength to get a steal or literally steal a rebound. 

Charleston is huge. So is every game from now on. I know they don't want to go into the CAA Tournament as the third seed. If they go in as the second seed and lose to Delaware, as long as they win the rest, I'm fine with that. Dylan Painter (ankle) came back tonight against Elon and while he scored just one point, he'll be close to 100% on Feb. 28. We're going to have to make up nine points in the last 18:42. That's doable but depends on the mindset of both teams.

Finally, Spiro if you are reading this. Our thoughts. prayers, and sympathies on the loss of your father. I couldn't imagine how you broadcast that game tonight. Hell of a job and few, if any could have accomplished that feat. 

20 wins!!!!  Was tied up with HS sports today but had my live stats and Towson alum buzzing my phone.  
50% from 3!!!

My best to Spiro….  All the cards are on the table for us to 🕺 next month. 

It is our time!!

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

The best part about tonite's win is now it's all in our hands.  We don't have to worry about what anyone else does.  It would certainly be helpful if UNCW and Hofstra lost one more time but if we take care of our own business, then we're hanging a banner and at least going to the NIT.  Next stop, Charleston.  I know we've all been conditioned to expect the trap door to open at some point but as I've been saying since really the beginning of the season, these guys are different.  You can see it in every adverse situation they've faced in games.  The only thing that has sunk them has been when the 3's and outside game hasn't been falling.  If that happens again, and it will, I'd hope they'd learn from the NE game and go to the basket sooner rather than settling and trying to shoot out of the slump.  

• Like 2

Tremendous win.  They had no answer for our defense.  However, the officials helped chop the game up, hoping that they would “ flurry “ us,and get back in it. 

Spiro, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Godspeed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

The best part about tonite's win is now it's all in our hands.  We don't have to worry about what anyone else does.  It would certainly be helpful if UNCW and Hofstra lost one more time but if we take care of our own business, then we're hanging a banner and at least going to the NIT.  Next stop, Charleston.  I know we've all been conditioned to expect the trap door to open at some point but as I've been saying since really the beginning of the season, these guys are different.  You can see it in every adverse situation they've faced in games.  The only thing that has sunk them has been when the 3's and outside game hasn't been falling.  If that happens again, and it will, I'd hope they'd learn from the NE game and go to the basket sooner rather than settling and trying to shoot out of the slump.  

Hopefully the northeastern game and first half against Wm was the trap door.