• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Drexel upends MBB 73-66 in overtime

It sucks we have so many what if’s with this program. What if Gibson was healthy? What if CT didn’t get hurt in the tournament last year? What if Johnny Davis didn’t get shot during the JB run? What if CT made his two free throws against CofC? Ugh mind boggling 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Blounge said:

It sucks we have so many what if’s with this program. What if Gibson was healthy? What if CT didn’t get hurt in the tournament last year? What if Johnny Davis didn’t get shot during the JB run? What if CT made his two free throws against CofC? Ugh mind boggling 

With all due respect........what ifs are brought up by folks who have lost. Championship teams overcome the obstacles. Whether it is the players who suck it up and get the job done.....or coaches who figure out ways to overcome obstacles.....that is what makes them champions. Not sure we have either. What if Jeffrey Maier had a cold and could not have gone to the Oriole Yankee game!....none of them matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Among yesterday's many disappointments were two consecutive unforced turnovers committed by Sylla in the first half -- back-to-back-possessions where he couldn't complete a simple pass to a teammate. I don't know what to attribute that to. Low basketball IQ isn't quite right, just ... ineptitude. There's no guarantee we would have scored either time, but in a game that's tied at the end of regulation, crap like that matters.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Among yesterday's many disappointments were two consecutive unforced turnovers committed by Sylla in the first half -- back-to-back-possessions where he couldn't complete a simple pass to a teammate. I don't know what to attribute that to. Low basketball IQ isn't quite right, just ... ineptitude. There's no guarantee we would have scored either time, but in a game that's tied at the end of regulation, crap like that matters.

No objective observer of TU basketball could disagree that Sylla was a bad recruit, D2 player of the year notwithstanding. He’s too small to be effective inside against decent bigs, he’s not athletic enough to create his own shot and even if they could create open looks for him, he’s not a good enough shooter to knock them down. It makes me wonder who on the staff recommended signing him, and why Skerry signed off on it 

To me a small piece of good news was the way Cam Holden played. I know he wasn't very efficient, but I liked his aggressiveness and if our supporting cast plays a little better I think it is enough to get the win. Scoring 25 pts, grabbing 7 boards, dishing four assists and only having one turnover is what this team is going to need out of him. Would have preferred he not have to shoot 21 shots do it, but I do think Amari Williams had a lot to do with that shooting percentage since Cam was attacking the basket a lot. I do think Williams is probably the most defensively disruptive big man in the league. I also imagine he was playing with a chip on his shoulder from the first game. I don't always love Holden's choices, but yesterday's game did reaffirm to me that he is one of the top 3-4 talents in this league. 

We do have to give a little tip of the cap to Drexel who is the only team not to lose in conference play at home this year. I think Hofstra and Charleston are probably better than us, but it is ridiculous that Hofstra doesn't play Charleston or UNC-Wilmington twice and doesn't have to play Drexel at home. What a ridiculous schedule distribution! 

As for the tournament, if chalk holds up it is tough to believe this team wins 3 in 3 days, and if we don't get a top 4 seed we can forget about it. However, there have been some weird results in this league this year so you never know. I believe we can beat anyone in this league on any day, it is just hard to imagine running a gauntlet of 5th or 6th seed, Hofstra and Charleston (in whichever order it comes). For now, forget about winning three game to three days I just want to see these guys win the first two to get us somewhere we have not been since 1992. Not saying I would find it acceptable, but I just want to see this team get past the semifinals for once. 

On 2/12/2023 at 11:44 AM, TigerFan54 said:

The missed dunk was the killer. Along with poor foul shooting. Could have easily prevented going into ot. The questionable plays at the end are the norm out of this team/staff