• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023 General Football News

8 minutes ago, tigerjake said:

Well... Delaware is making the move to FBS, set to join Conference USA in the 2025-26 season

Not surprising. My question is where does this leave us? The CAA is devolving into a low rent, “we’ll take anybody” conference, at least as far as basketball. I can’t imagine C of C hanging around, although maybe their strategy is to have a clear yearly path to the dance, by dominating a bunch of weaklings. Do we have any sort of exit strategy, or are we resigned to staying in the CAA? 

Putting this nicely, we completely fumbled all the good momentum that was built in the early 2010s over the past 10 years. Coastal Athletic Association will be back at 10 team in a couple years unless add any more crap like Morgan or NJIT: Hampton, NCAT, Campbell, Stony Brook, Drexel, Elon, Monmouth, Hofstra, Northeastern, and us. Can't expect anyone within our institution to react other than do nothing and be happy with whatever hand we're dealt.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Not surprising. My question is where does this leave us? The CAA is devolving into a low rent, “we’ll take anybody” conference, at least as far as basketball. I can’t imagine C of C hanging around, although maybe their strategy is to have a clear yearly path to the dance, by dominating a bunch of weaklings. Do we have any sort of exit strategy, or are we resigned to staying in the CAA? 

I think you already know the answer to that… Reactive not proactive 

Charleston to the A10 makes too much sense. Would be their 16th member. 

Again, this leaves us in purgatory. League has lost half dozen or so public universities in the last decade plus and replaced them with small private colleges. 

3 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Was there an official announcement Delaware is leaving? Is that set in stone?

With these, where there’s  smoke there’s fire. It is kind of funny they are leaving after the price went up from 5,000 to 5 million 

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

5 million dollar application fee? Even if we wanted to move up to FBS, where’s that money going to come from? Let’s be honest, given last year’s football attendance, paying 5 million (even if we have that kind of money just lying around) would seem absurd. What precisely would that 5 million buy us? The other question that comes to mind is what if the CAA keeps hemorrhaging schools and ceases to exist at some point in the future? Then where are we? Are these issues being discussed in the war room of our athletic department? 

A lot of things could happen. I think having a new president who cares about sports will help. I just know that we can’t stay in the CAA and FCS football forever. There will be a point where G5 schools will be closer to what FCS used to be and P5/6 schools will live in a different universe with more scholarships.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, there will be no "gravy train" conference upgrade for Towson.  We've had to deal with years of inept leadership from both the University side as well as the conference side.  Dull, passive and unimaginative Athletic Directors, indifferent University Presidents and horrific conference commissioners with dreadful media partnerships.  Perhaps some programs can succeed in spite of one, bad university leadership OR bad conference leadership, but it's pretty hard to overcome both.   

Credit to the powers that be at Delaware for not standing on the sidelines (pun intended) and watching with their thumbs up their rear as other schools jockey for better situations.  They were proactive, decisive and were able to harness the support of fans & alumni.

• Like 2