• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

20 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m underwhelmed by Mr. Eigenbrot so far 

His first hire who was on a super secret admin leave for over 6 months. 

Hired a 57 year old d3 football coach with zero d1 experience. It’s too early to tell but underwhelming to say the least 

Gave an extension to a career .500 coach after a season where the team regressed mightily. This coach has also never sniffed the ncaas let alone a conference championship game. The longest tenured coach to not do either of those. 

We truly need to re-asses being a division one institution. There’s too much money wasted and there’s zero incentive to win. If the goal is to graduate young men and women we can do that in the centennial conference 

30 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

1. Why did the AD give this?  Last years team drastically didn’t meet expectations.

2. Why was this kept quiet for 9 months?!

Looks like we have pulled a Chris Davis with Seven Eigenbrot. Big swing and a miss.

Honestly not sure why the university kept it quiet. They also kept the COVID extension quiet, which means that back-to-back one-year extensions were kept quiet. 

I talked to Pat today and he told me that he isn't interested with the attention that comes with announcing contract extensions. I get that, but students' athletics fees go toward paying salaries for coaches... right? I'd think the public has a right to know when coaches are getting extended.

Not announcing it only makes matters worse for them because now it seems like a secretive move where they have no control over the narrative.

• Like 4

Just now, TuTigers2012 said:

His first hire who was on a super secret admin leave for over 6 months. 

Hired a 57 year old d3 football coach with zero d1 experience. It’s too early to tell but underwhelming to say the least 

Gave an extension to a career .500 coach after a season where the team regressed mightily. This coach has also never sniffed the ncaas let alone a conference championship game. The longest tenured coach to not do either of those. 

We truly need to re-asses being a division one institution. There’s too much money wasted and there’s zero incentive to win. If the goal is to graduate young men and women we can do that in the centennial conference 

Well, I strenuously disagree about moving down divisions. But I do agree that early returns on his decisions regarding MBB, WBB & football should be scrutinized closely. I’ll defer on the WBB hire as, quite candidly, I do not follow that program. But his football hire disappointed me. I think he squandered an opportunity to bring in a young coach with DMV recruiting ties, who hopefully would have used as a lily pad by building up the program and then moving on to greener pastures. Now, it is entirely possible I’ll be proven wrong on Shinnick, and all the better if so. But extending Skerry is indefensible. Was he not aware of Skerry’s dismal postseason record? If he wasn’t, shame on him. If he was, why in the hell extend him? I doubt other schools were beating down Skerry’s door. I only wish that had been the case. Giving him an extension was completely tone deaf and a major fail 

9 minutes ago, tigerjake said:

talked to Pat today and he told me that he isn't interested with the attention that comes with announcing contract extensions

He isn’t interested? I’m sure he’s not. But what about the fanbase (all 15 of us 😆) and the faculty & students. The optics on this are bad. Even if it’s not the case, it comes off as a back room deal, designed to keep the extension hush hush

This is bad form all around.

I believe Pat’s preference for keeping it under wraps has more to do with knowing a collective groan would come from those who pay attention and not any supposed humility or focus on the next game. 

Those who signed off on this extension must 

1. Sincerely believe that his record and “achievements” warrant this reward. Mediocrity is the goal and that goal has been achieved and/or exceeded.

2. Have zero belief that Towson is capable, worthy or in need of finding an upgrade at the head coaching position.

3. Think that all Pat needs is 4 more years to finally get it right and break through. Chance after chance after chance…..

Let’s all remember this the next time someone from the school/athletic department reaches out requesting a donation. 

This honestly makes me furious. 

• Thanks 1

Pat Skerry needs to give next years starting 5 recruits $100,000 each in NIL money. Re-invest in the program! You have already taken enough money from the university!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

This is bad form all around.

I believe Pat’s preference for keeping it under wraps has more to do with knowing a collective groan would come from those who pay attention and not any supposed humility or focus on the next game. 

Those who signed off on this extension must 

1. Sincerely believe that his record and “achievements” warrant this reward. Mediocrity is the goal and that goal has been achieved and/or exceeded.

2. Have zero belief that Towson is capable, worthy or in need of finding an upgrade at the head coaching position.

3. Think that all Pat needs is 4 more years to finally get it right and break through. Chance after chance after chance…..

Let’s all remember this the next time someone from the school/athletic department reaches out requesting a donation. 

This honestly makes me furious. 

Whole heartily agree.  This will be my last year donating a dime to athletics. My decade long season tickets will also not be renewed (like football during the last few Ambrose seasons)

Unfortunately lots of people at Towson and on here are ok with mediocrity. 500k for a coach who can’t get a team to score 44 points in year 13. 187-161 (being generous) gets you another 4 years?!  
Keep stacking those imaginary wins against galludet l, goucher, rio grande, Bryn anthem, Arcadia, central penn bible college and West Virginia school of pharmacy!

2 hours ago, tigerjake said:

Honestly not sure why the university kept it quiet. They also kept the COVID extension quiet, which means that back-to-back one-year extensions were kept quiet. 

I talked to Pat today and he told me that he isn't interested with the attention that comes with announcing contract extensions. I get that, but students' athletics fees go toward paying salaries for coaches... right? I'd think the public has a right to know when coaches are getting extended.

Not announcing it only makes matters worse for them because now it seems like a secretive move where they have no control over the narrative.

We are a public university as well. Extensions are always announced as they are to “celebrate” and promote the coach and program.  Jesus F Christ  This is bad all around. Seriously what does tacking one year on at a time do?! Very shady indeed. 
Thank you for bringing this up!

88 you were right about the years he had left, unfortunately though for us fans and alum 

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Well, I strenuously disagree about moving down divisions. But I do agree that early returns on his decisions regarding MBB, WBB & football should be scrutinized closely. I’ll defer on the WBB hire as, quite candidly, I do not follow that program. But his football hire disappointed me. I think he squandered an opportunity to bring in a young coach with DMV recruiting ties, who hopefully would have used as a lily pad by building up the program and then moving on to greener pastures. Now, it is entirely possible I’ll be proven wrong on Shinnick, and all the better if so. But extending Skerry is indefensible. Was he not aware of Skerry’s dismal postseason record? If he wasn’t, shame on him. If he was, why in the hell extend him? I doubt other schools were beating down Skerry’s door. I only wish that had been the case. Giving him an extension was completely tone deaf and a major fail 

The goal should be to win. Coaches who aren’t winning are fired. EVERYWHERE but here.  If winning isn’t the end goal,  move down.  

37 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Pat Skerry needs to give next years starting 5 recruits $100,000 each in NIL money. Re-invest in the program! You have already taken enough money from the university!

Haha. Unfortunately unlike Monmouth, his son isn’t a mid major star, just a potential walk on. 😂

Going to start keep track of the amount we spent per win. 

Kind of interesting watching the KU/TCU game on DVR. Forgot that I was taping their games and it was Timberlake against Jameer Nelson Jr. Ok, that only lasted about five minutes but Jameer attacked him for obvious reasons. Nick did get a steal off of him.  Nick played ok in 11 minutes. Took just three shots, making two, and scored five points. 

On 1/5/2024 at 5:27 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

Well if we all weren’t depressed after last night… the misery well never end

https://thetowerlight.com/pat-skerry-signed-contract-extension-in-april-2023-now-under-contract-until-2027/

Love Skerry's quote that he appreciates the opportunity..........I GUESS HE DOES....considering he has not earned it and would not get it anywhere else........SINCE APRIL.......ARE YOU KIDDING??????????

• Like 1