• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

All on point. It is quite sad. BUT WE DID BEAT A TEAM (not entirely the same but won’t get into that) WHO BEAT KENTUCKY!  LIKE WE ARE GOOD. DONT BE A DEBBIE DOWNER. SHEESH

Why do you conflate two issues? Not a single, solitary post on this board has even remotely tried to rationalize the ridiculous extension he got. That being said, is it the player’s fault that he got it? Should we take no pleasure in beating UNCW? Nobody, I repeat nobody, has any false allusions about this team. I grudgingly defend your right to express your opinions, but you really do at times sap the energy from this forum and I suspect you’ve so worn down some folks that they no longer post, or worse, no longer even read posts on here. We get it, Skerry can’t win close games; can’t win in the conference tournament; can’t recruit a PG; plays a desultory style of basketball and certainly didn’t deserve the 8-year extension, or the last secretive one. I mean, nobody’s disputing any of these things-you’re arguing with phantoms. You’ve made your points, ad nauseum. ENOUGH!!!

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Why do you conflate two issues? Not a single, solitary post on this board has even remotely tried to rationalize the ridiculous extension he got. That being said, is it the player’s fault that he got it? Should we take no pleasure in beating UNCW? Nobody, I repeat nobody, has any false allusions about this team. I grudgingly defend your right to express your opinions, but you really do at times sap the energy from this forum and I suspect you’ve so worn down some folks that they no longer post, or worse, no longer even read posts on here. We get it, Skerry can’t win close games; can’t win in the conference tournament; can’t recruit a PG; plays a desultory style of basketball and certainly didn’t deserve the 8-year extension, or the last secretive one. I mean, nobody’s disputing any of these things-you’re arguing with phantoms. You’ve made your points, ad nauseum. ENOUGH!!!

Disagree. Sorry there are A LOT of people on here (not you) with false allusions about this team and program.  Way more than there should be and I’m obviously on the differing opinion on that, but I’m much closer to the truth than those. Blazer was commenting on the fact that another undeserved extension was given. I responded that some on here are giddy as hell after Saturday to climb back to 500. My point to him was, again, they are good with it.

Give us something to talk about then. Everyone on here repeats the same shit and their opinions. Mine doesn’t align with yours, so what?!  Not playing like hot garbage against Monmouth with 2 weeks to prepare for that one.  Uncw was a nice win. I thought an injured and tired team coming off a loss in Philly would come in and assert themselves they didn’t.  This was probably a top 5-7 win all time for Pat, which really says something. Players showed up when it counted Saturday. kudos to them. 

Criticism of skerry is warranted and directed that way. I’m a lot more vocal about the players but try to keep a good amount out. The older guys can take it, ie charles. So that goes to the coach. We all (the ones who want to win) think there should be changes made to the gameplan/strategy to help play to our strengths.  I don’t mind playing at a snails pace, if we win (like uva). 

Again we will be solid at home. So Thursday at 9:15pm some will be ready to start on the statue but then go silent when we sit 2-3 after an ugly game in Charleston. It’s a message board everyone, don’t get too upset…

Edited by TuTigers2012
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Everyone on here repeats the same shit

Pot, meet kettle 

12 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Disagree. Sorry there are A LOT of people on here (not you) with false allusions about this team and program.  Way more than there should be and I’m obviously on the differing opinion on that, but I’m much closer to the truth than those. Blazer was commenting on the fact that another undeserved extension was given. I responded that some on here are giddy as hell after Saturday to climb back to 500. My point to him was, again, they are good with it.

Give us something to talk about then. Everyone on here repeats the same shit and their opinions. Mine doesn’t align with yours, so what?!  Not playing like hot garbage against Monmouth with 2 weeks to prepare for that one.  Uncw was a nice win. I thought an injured and tired team coming off a loss in Philly would come in and assert themselves they didn’t.  This was probably a top 5-7 win all time for Pat, which really says something. Players showed up when it counted Saturday. kudos to them. 

Criticism of skerry is warranted and directed that way. I’m a lot more vocal about the players but try to keep a good amount out. The older guys can take it, ie charles. So that goes to the coach. We all (the ones who want to win) think there should be changes made to the gameplan/strategy to help play to our strengths.  I don’t mind playing at a snails pace, if we win (like uva). 

Again we will be solid at home. So Thursday at 9:15pm some will be ready to start on the statue but then go silent when we sit 2-3 after an ugly game in Charleston. It’s a message board everyone, don’t get too upset…

I actually think that with the talent on this team, they would win more games without this coaching staff. Let the guys get together in time outs and work out what they want to do. The players have talent. The coaching staff does not. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Pot, meet kettle 

I never said I didn’t! 😂.  There’s a good bit of negative thoughts that I have, comes with being a pessimist by nature, but unfortunately there’s a lot of truth with those as well. Sometimes the truth hurts. Life ain’t always sunshine and rainbows!

54 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Life ain’t always sunshine and rainbows!

True indeed. On the other hand it’s not always gloom and doom either. Anyway, I’m done with this topic…for now 

The difference of opinions is part of the fun of the message board. However, I still think every season is different in some way or another no matter how similar the coaches approach is to it. Especially, when it comes to all of the new players on the roster.

I just prefer to dwell on the games going on in front of us and not the macro picture during the season. Where I completely agree with most on here is hating the slow down style where we give ourselves less margin of error when we aren't shooting well. I think I beat that with a dead horse with the stats I share. It has hurt us at times already this year, but I do think it worked to some extent against UNC-W. I still don't like it or the sub patterns.

I think Skerry has done a good job of recruiting and raising the level of talent since he has been here. I just worry that sometimes the sub patterns and style of play make it hard for these players to thrive or play freely without concerns of being yanked in and out of the lineup. I think with the transfers and young talent we have this is a pretty deep and athletic rosters that can get better, but we also don't really have a true go-to player yet. I do agree with what one poster said on this thread about Skerry not getting the most out of the roster. It still remains to be seen, but I have felt like that at times this year and I think he may even think that in analyzing these games sometimes. I think those are all part of the interesting storylines to this season that are worth dwelling on both positively and negatively as it continues. 

No one can deny Monmouth was a beyond crappy offensive performance, although they may be better than people think (Rice just went for 29 points in 24 minutes against Northeastern, but they also aren't very good). Also, the UNC-W win was a good one, but I think those of us who aren't overly negative expected at a minimum a good effort and a decent shot at a victory. There are no parades or celebrations for one win, but I also enjoy seeing the players have success and I enjoy analyzing what they are doing better when we win. That shouldn't be viewed as accepting mediocrity. I think it is following the season as a fan and rooting for the team, and every conference season has different dynamics to it (except unfortunately that Charleston seems to have picked up where it left off last year). 

I also think the criticisms of Eigonbrot regarding the football hire and women's basketball hire are unfair (although I do have questions about the suspension). I don't think it is fair to judge any football on their first season with mostly what they inherited. For better or worse, we will find our more about Shinnick next year. Laura Harper was good last year (until the conference tournament final, which was awful). The suspension has been a weird situation, which definitely took some shine off last year, but I will wait to hear more before I judge and also am interested to see what the program does this year (the NC A&T loss was a little disappointing, but they are solid and it was on the road).

As for Skerry, every AD worth their salt comes in with their list of basketball coaches they are ready to call if a change is needed. I know there is a lot of history of lack of success in the conference tournament, but think about this from Eigonbrot's standpoint. He was hired with Skerry coming off tying for the regular-season conference title. Last year, they were 21-12, 12-6 in conference play and had a shot to beat Charleston in the semifinals. This year, has been up and down in non-conference play, but there is a long way to go.

From Eigonbrot's standpoint, what about that would make you want to make a change. The one-year extension was not handled well, and as a state school should be more transparent, but are one-year extensions a big deal? I know at other schools that are just part of helping the coach recruit for the future, and either lowering or keeping buyouts where they are. I know many of you know more about the ins and outs specific to Towson than I do so I will let you speculate on any further, but outside of the way it was handled it doesn't seem to mean much from my viewpoint.  

One day away from Stony Brook.  Believe they shot 16-30 from beyond the arc against Bryant.  
There will be hell to pay if we let Stephenson-Moore go off for 30 or more.  

Then at Northeastern on Saturday.   We could easily be 1-3 before heading to Charleston. 

Does Hicks return this week at any time? 
I know concussion protocol has changed through the years.  Be nice to have another perimeter defender tomorrow 🙏

Our opponents have been shooting 31% from 3 against us!  Stony Brook shoots 35%   

Guess I’ll have to wait for the Sprio show 📻

What a great day to be a Tiger 🐯 right now. 🏀❄️

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

From Eigonbrot's standpoint, what about that would make you want to make a change. 

The prudent thing for him to have done would have been to have done nothing. It’s doubtful we were in jeopardy of Skerry leaving for another job. He was coming off yet another conference tournament where he failed to win more than one game (coming close vs C of C was still a fail; a close fail, but a fail nonetheless). He should have simply tabled any talk of an extension until after this season. And I don’t buy any argument that an extension was necessary to avoid Skerry being labeled a lame duck coach during recruiting. Maybe that’s an issue with high school recruits, but it doesn’t hold water when it comes to guys in the portal, who are short term rentals 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

The prudent thing for him to have done would have been to have done nothing. It’s doubtful we were in jeopardy of Skerry leaving for another job. He was coming off yet another conference tournament where he failed to win more than one game (coming close vs C of C was still a fail; a close fail, but a fail nonetheless). He should have simply tabled any talk of an extension until after this season. And I don’t buy any argument that an extension was necessary to avoid Skerry being labeled a lame duck coach during recruiting. Maybe that’s an issue with high school recruits, but it doesn’t hold water when it comes to guys in the portal, who are short term rentals 

Yeah, there was zero reason for an extension.  Nothing has been done to earn that and by inferred logic, you could guess that a simple trip to the conference championship game will merit another year on the contract.  Sometimes, a little job insecurity gives one a bit of extra incentive to up their production and I agree with you that in this age of the portal and short-term players, a lame duck situation isn't as dire as it used to be.

• Like 4