• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

Sad

I could have chosen pitiful, pathetic, inept and embarrassing, but whatever. 

Folks, we just got trucked (I don’t care what the final score was, we all know we were manhandled) by a MEAC team, picked to finish 5th, in a 6 team conference. We lost to a team that lost their season opener to a D2 team. I don’t want to hear about the weather. Last time I checked, it rained on Norfolk too.

We gave up 350 rushing yards. Let that marinate for a moment. Here’s some of the other lowlights:

2 defensive offside penalties; 2 unsportsmanlike penalties; a blocked punt negated by a penalty; a comically bad 2 minute drill to end the game. Much of this has to be attributed to the coaching staff.

Our running game primarily consists of running a 5’4 RB into the line. Our passing game is dinks and dunks, with no downfield threat. Our starting QB is mediocre, to put it charitably and since they won’t put the backup in, we can only assume he’s even worse. The offense is completely unimaginative and wholly unproductive. TBH, I don’t see how we win a game the rest of the season.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine is that this was a bad hire. I’m not trying to hear about first year honeymoon after today’s debacle. A near 60 year old coach, with limited D1 experience and no recruiting chops in the DMV is a bad hire. He had oodles of time to hit the portal and what did he bring in? I have to question Eigenbrot’s judgment at this point. This was an opportunity to hire a young aggressive coach with ties to the DMV. This is on him. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I could have chosen pitiful, pathetic, inept and embarrassing, but whatever. 

Folks, we just got trucked (I don’t care what the final score was, we all know we were manhandled) by a MEAC team, picked to finish 5th, in a 6 team conference. We lost to a team that lost their season opener to a D2 team. I don’t want to hear about the weather. Last time I checked, it rained on Norfolk too.

We gave up 350 rushing yards. Let that marinate for a moment. Here’s some of the other lowlights:

2 defensive offside penalties; 2 unsportsmanlike penalties; a blocked punt negated by a penalty; a comically bad 2 minute drill to end the game. Much of this has to be attributed to the coaching staff.

Our running game primarily consists of running a 5’4 RB into the line. Our passing game is dinks and dunks, with no downfield threat. Our starting QB is mediocre, to put it charitably and since they won’t put the backup in, we can only assume he’s even worse. The offense is completely unimaginative and wholly unproductive. TBH, I don’t see how we win a game the rest of the season.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine is that this was a bad hire. I’m not trying to hear about first year honeymoon after today’s debacle. A near 60 year old coach, with limited D1 experience and no recruiting chops in the DMV is a bad hire. He had oodles of time to hit the portal and what did he bring in? I have to question Eigenbrot’s judgment at this point. This was an opportunity to hire a young aggressive coach with ties to the DMV. This is on him. 

X2. This their first non hbcu win in two years and that was against st Francis… there have been a lot of awful losses the last decade or so. Was this the worst? Could be.  This is embarrassing and one of the lowest points for sure. This program doesn’t have a pulse. 

• Thanks 1

Disgraceful, disgusting, pathetic, pitiful effort all around by everybody today. Why would anyone buy season tickets to sit through THAT? Especially when you have UMD who is 4-0 and has an NFL QBs brother as a starter. You have Penn State who’s ranked every year.(they actually let you tailgate freely with 107,000 other friends no sweat) i thought I’d try to be a fan of this program because i went to school there but Jesus Christ it’s tough to support such a limp dick program. Pete Shinnick is a thief and a con artist for how much money he took to lose to Norfolk state and Monmouth. Just barely scraped by Morgan state and gave the players a trophy for beating the hbcu next door for the 6th time in a row. Rob Ambrose is probably sick to his stomach that he slaved over this program for a decade just for this shit to be the end result. They either need massive change now or shut the program down entirely 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Don’t forget we were 18 point favorites! If Norfolk state didn’t punt the ball 5 yards and commit dumb penalties we would have lost 21-7. 

Good luck marketing this dreck to prospective ticket buyers next season. It’s one thing to be awful, it’s another to be awful + boring as hell. This is after all supposed to have an element of entertainment to it. I’m a sap, so I’ll renew my season tickets, but it’s getting increasingly more difficult to justify spending discretionary money on this product 

I still think it’s too early to proclaim Shinnick a bad hire. Things weren’t  always rosy with Gordy and Rob and there were some mind boggling losses with them as well. I’m one of those that pretty much wrote this season off before it began. Need I remind you that Ambrose went 3-19 in his first 2 seasons. 

• Like 5

Only Towson fans, many whom asked for Rob Ambrose to get the axe because he was mediocre, arrogant and mean, want to fire his successor and cut the program after four games and one horrible loss. Disappointed? Beyond. Frustrated? Of course. This program has been through so much shit over the past 50+ years that a bad loss or bad season is not going to destroy us. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So is the belief that this roster is stacked with superior talent and that Coach is inept for not being able to win with what he has? 

It appears to me he’s working with a patch-work group of marginal players. Leftovers from Ambrose, transfers who didn’t cut it at other programs, dudes looking for a last chance to play college ball and first year kids. This isn’t a terribly impressive group of players. Let the man have a couple of proper recruiting cycles.

Also, his UWF team, a team he literally built, is currently 3-1. What’s that you say? It’s not comparable since it’s a D2 program? It’s all relative, the guy knows football and the kind of players it takes to win at the respective level. I think UWF would beat this Towson team today. 

I’ll tell you what’s set Towson football back behind so many other programs. It was Towson’s refusal to part ways with “lifetime contract” coaches like Gordy Combs and Ambrose. Year after year of mediocre seasons with no consequences. The program was managed like a high school team. And you’re shocked that an outsider can’t come in and can’t get things rolling after 4 games?? A few of you are delusional. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Only Towson fans, many whom asked for Rob Ambrose to get the axe because he was mediocre, arrogant and mean, want to fire his successor and cut the program after four games and one horrible loss. Disappointed? Beyond. Frustrated? Of course. This program has been through so much shit over the past 50+ years that a bad loss or bad season is not going to destroy us. 

Sorry but it’s ok to be pissed off with the performance the last 3 weeks. Some on here are just rosey and happy about everything hence the complacency .  

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

So is the belief that this roster is stacked with superior talent and that Coach is inept for not being able to win with what he has? 

It appears to me he’s working with a patch-work group of marginal players. Leftovers from Ambrose, transfers who didn’t cut it at other programs, dudes looking for a last chance to play college ball and first year kids. This isn’t a terribly impressive group of players. Let the man have a couple of proper recruiting cycles.

Also, his UWF team, a team he literally built, is currently 3-1. What’s that you say? It’s not comparable since it’s a D2 program? It’s all relative, the guy knows football and the kind of players it takes to win at the respective level. I think UWF would beat this Towson team today. 

I’ll tell you what’s set Towson football back behind so many other programs. It was Towson’s refusal to part ways with “lifetime contract” coaches like Gordy Combs and Ambrose. Year after year of mediocre seasons with no consequences. The program was managed like a high school team. And you’re shocked that an outsider can’t come in and can’t get things rolling after 4 games?? A few of you are delusional. 

No I don’t think anyone thinks that. Some of the players back from last year were ok and others were all conference. Where are they?!

“Recruiting cycle”. Lol it’s 2023, not expecting a blounge sanders turnover but it’s A LOT easier to rebuild a team quickly now. Of course an issue was the AD waiting to make a decision on the hire. Blame for this mess goes all around. 

There’s no one denying that he built a program from the ground up. It’s impressive but that was 7-8 years ago, he’s different now. To your last point I totally agree, it’s been run with a “let’s just keep our guy around because he played here” and “happy to just have a team” (even though we are the jokes of the conference). That makes me think this situation is probably more difficult than starting from scratch.  And no disrespect I bet half the d2 a beat us by a few scores. Hell a crappy meac team that got steamrolled by a d2 earlier this year beat the living shit out of us. 

it’s not delusional to think we should be beating some of these teams. We aren’t even really competitive. Play calling is questionable. Running up the gut with a 5’5 running back is questionable. The penalties aren’t acceptable. The players quitting isn’t acceptable.