• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB gets blasted by North Texas 65-39

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=494376&_gl=1*yxj3js*_ga*NDg5NjI1NzQyLjE2OTc5MjI1MTY.*_ga_2ZWVK1X7BJ*MTcwMDQyMjQ2OC42LjEuMTcwMDQyMzE0NC4wLjAuMA..

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/11/19/mens-basketball-towson-mens-basketball-closes-charleston-classic-with-65-39-loss-against-north-texas.aspx

Towson just didn't show up today. Yes, Radhir Hicks was out and there was one point guard (barely) in Dylan Williamson. But North Texas took advantage, double teaming the post and pressuring everyone from Williamson to Mekhi Lowery. Messiah Jones had a brutal game with five turnovers in eight minutes. It's one game and he's been inconsistent, but when we look at the power forward position this season, we have an old-school power forward, who really doesn't score much or is not smooth in the post. Tomiwa Sulaiman had just two rebounds in 24 minutes and went 0-for-3 from three-point range. He is playing with an ankle injury, but here's the problem with this team aside from the four guys out (Hicks, Tarke, Watson, Cole), a four-guard lineup worked for us last season. Jones is really slow in terms of footspeed. He can't guard guys from the perimeter. I'd consider starting Sulaiman at the 4 or Tejada, so you can have better pacing. The only bright spot was that May made 3 of 5 treys, but even he struggled defensively. 

We turned the ball over 21 times. At least we had a variety. Some were just really bad passes. Some guys just dropped the ball. We invented some new ones. We hadn't turned the ball over like this in the first seven games. But I am worried if Hicks (head) doesn't return shortly and we never see Tarke or Cole until December. Teams will see this tape and press the shit out of is even if they aren't a pressing team. I'm not going to blame a terrible loss on Tyler Coleman (3 TOs), but when he's your 9th man instead of your 12th or 13th and plays 11 minutes, you're in trouble. Even Skerry knew late in the first half, probably early, that we just didn't have it. Wasn't running up and down the sidelines and yelling like he normally does.

Skerry’s postgame comments on TowsonTigers.com

“North Texas is very good. I didn’t have our guys ready to play. Not a good sense of urgency. Strivng to be consistent. Maybe a hangover from the previous loss. We had a lot of issues today. Outplayed and outcoached. If we take care of the ball, we have a chance. Didn’t shoot well. Hard to evaluate it. They were 18-0 off of turnovers in the first half. They helped, they swarmed. We didn’t pass it well and weren't strong with it.

Makai was good. We need Christian. Starting to get better driving the ball. Needs to change his finishes and driving and kick. Come with experience. Didn’t do a lot of things well. They had something to do with it. We knew they were a good team. We just didn’t play clean early. Didn’t take care of the ball. Didn’t like our end of clock defense. Had a lot of live ball turnovers. Made pretty good strides in the first couple of games and now, we’re like who are we? We have to figure out how to do that. We have nine guys and they played a lot.

We have to travel back. They need a day or two. Hopefully we will get some guys back. If not, the guys he have and we’ll try. Everyone is optimistic, I don’t know know whos coming back. Having been overly informed in those areas. Those guys need a couple of days to get healthy. Some are playing through some things (injuries)."

I spent a lot of money at the business school at towson so I might as well profit off the knowledge I’ve gained. We cannot score and we cannot win in tournament! I wish i bet more. It being on ESPN made it so obvious we weren’t winning this one. 

39D762FA-954E-4FFC-9D15-9653C114617B.png

• Like 1

If you suffered through this weekend you shouldn’t be losing money on towson fandom. Make some cheese off our inability to score. BET THE UNDER. It’s not betting against our guys, it’s betting against points!

B59EAA3D-0302-4963-BD82-FB2BF02719CD.png

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

Skerry critics are coming out of the woodworks!

There is a reason for that and the reason is not because the team is playing so well.

Reality check time: he’s got 3 years, after this season, left on his contract and he’s not getting bought out. I don’t know what’s going to happen when we start the real season, i.e., conference play. If the CAA is as weak as some believe, we might be able to hold our heads above water. I don’t have any inside information, but I’m going to assume Tarke’s not going to see the court this season. Without him, we may have one of the worst offenses in the country. And as high as I am on Cole, he’s a completely unknown commodity. The real villain here isn’t Skerry (not his fault on Conway, Tarke, Watson) but rather Tim Leonard, for giving Skerry that insane 8-year extension, which we now wear like an albatross around our necks 

Edited by TSU88