• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Cole debuts but MBB still falls to South Dakota State 61-48

http://pentagon.sidearmsports.com/sidearmstats/mbball/individual;team=away

The Tigers were down 27-17 at the half against South Dakota State and never recovered as they fell 61-48 from the Pentagon in South Dakota on Friday night. 

Nothing shocking here as senior Charles Thompson (1-for-6, 3pts) and sophomore guard Christian May (3pts, 1-8 FG, 0-5 3pt) continue to struggle from the field. Even though Tyler Tejada had 13 points to lead the Tigers, he struggled from the field, going 4 for 14.

Freshman guard Jaiden Cole made his debut and went 0-for-1 in just three minutes.

Quick hits

*Tomiwa Sulaiman had 10 points and two threes with five rebounds and two blocks. It's time to start him and move Jones to the bench.

*Who cares if you outrebound teams and can't finish shots from 5 feet and in? 

*Williamson had just one assist tonight with no turnovers. Needs to be more in control on his drives. Needs help as well. He's not a point guard and neither is Lowery, but there are no other options at this point.

*Tarke, Watson, and Hicks can all be eligible and healthy. It doesn't matter if May, Williamson, Tejada and (eventually) Cole are not making threes. Open threes. I though May took some forced threes tonight after missing some open ones. Maybe he needs to back to the basics. Drive it, take mid-range shots and only take 3s when you're open and set up. 

More from Skerry after the game on TSN

"We took care of the ball better in the second half. Going to define our success is the ability of taking care of the ball. Keep spacing and follow our training. We're not doing that.

"Didn't make a lot of shots. Missed a lot of threes. Good threes. Have to get that fixed in terms of good shooters missing shots. We got to the glass in the second half. We have to figure out how to keep getting better. Simplify the offense."

"Can't shoot the ball that bad from 2 and 3 against a good team and win. We're playing hard and the guys are working. It's going to take a little more than that to get to where we need to get to."

"We have to finish or get fouled. Score the ball. At least 55% from the 8 feet and in mark. We're not near that. Second key after taking care of the ball. That's the reality. Finish our get fouled. Their guys were 12 for 21. Those guys kept us at by. They finished at the rim. Right now, we haven't. Have to coach better. Work smarter. That's where it's at. Capable of playing more efficiently."

lol. “Cole debuts”   Year 13 and we still stink. This offense is worse than 1-31 season. Let that sink in. Charles has regressed a ton. NAIA May is the probably the worst player statistically in the country.  When your offense is getting misses but you miss those too, it’s not going to work.  Hofstras top to scorers average over 44. We average 57… let that sink in 

We can’t score now, it’ll be worse when league play starts.  Thank god we have played an easy schedule so far. Otherwise we would be averaging 50 a game instead of the paltry 57. 

how many more years of this garbage do we have left to deal with until a better coach comes in?

21 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

lol. “Cole debuts”   Year 13 and we still stink. This offense is worse than 1-31 season. Let that sink in. Charles has regressed a ton. NAIA May is the probably the worst player statistically in the country.  When your offense is getting misses but you miss those too, it’s not going to work.  Hofstras top to scorers average over 44. We average 57… let that sink in 

We can’t score now, it’ll be worse when league play starts.  Thank god we have played an easy schedule so far. Otherwise we would be averaging 50 a game instead of the paltry 57. 

how many more years of this garbage do we have left to deal with until a better coach comes in?

I don’t see us getting worse when conference play starts.  Tyler and Dylan didn’t shoot it great tonight but like mentioned they are both freshman playing out of their normal positions.  Taking our lumps now.  
Sulaiman has been a great addition.  CT & May have really struggled but we are only 8 games into it. They will play better.. may not be all CAA caliber though.. TBD. 

Like to see Cole with more minutes rest of the way.  Been a rough start 3-5 but I like some of the young pieces we have in place.  Obviously need more help.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I’d say until at least the end of the 2026-27 season. I mean this dreck we’re seeing now is unwatchable and indefensible, but anyone who thinks there’s going to be a regime change before Skerry’s contract expires is delusional. The buck stops with him, but ain’t no way he’s getting bought out. 

Even if Tarke comes onboard at some point, he’s not MJ 2.0. It’s not realistic to expect he can fix this mess single-handedly. May’s shooting is beyond dreadful so far, CT is a try hard guy who will always struggle to finish close, and I haven’t a clue what they saw in Jones. I’m still high on Cole, but he’s a work in progress. Maybe come conference play, but time will tell. Watson is about 4 months out from his injury, so it’s hard to imagine he’s riding to the rescue anytime soon. I mean, it is what it is…right now we have one of the most impotent, unwatchable offenses in the country.  I doubt any objective observer would suggest otherwise 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

I don’t see us getting worse when conference play starts

Good grief, how could we?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

I don’t see us getting worse when conference play starts.  Tyler and Dylan didn’t shoot it great tonight but like mentioned they are both freshman playing out of their normal positions.  Taking our lumps now.  
Sulaiman has been a great addition.  CT & May have really struggled but we are only 8 games into it. They will play better.. may not be all CAA caliber though.. TBD. 

Like to see Cole with more minutes rest of the way.  Been a rough start 3-5 but I like some of the young pieces we have in place.  Obviously need more help.  

It’s 8 games that’s over 25% of the season. They have been dreadful to say the least. I don’t think anyone can possibly play worse. 
A few role players but not much more. Scoring typically goes down in conference play… so 

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’d say until at least the end of the 2026-27 season. I mean this dreck we’re seeing now is unwatchable and indefensible, but anyone who thinks there’s going to be a regime change before Skerry’s contract expires is delusional. The buck stops with him, but ain’t no way he’s getting bought out. 

Even if Tarke comes onboard at some point, he’s not MJ 2.0. It’s not realistic to expect he can fix this mess single-handedly. May’s shooting is beyond dreadful so far, CT is a try hard guy who will always struggle to finish close, and I haven’t a clue what they saw in Jones. I’m still high on Cole, but he’s a work in progress. Maybe come conference play, but time will tell. Watson is about 4 months out from his injury, so it’s hard to imagine he’s riding to the rescue anytime soon. I mean, it is what it is…right now we have one of the most impotent, unwatchable offenses in the country.  I doubt any objective observer would suggest otherwise 

He just makes excuses after excuses. High on cole? Based off of what.  Just asking.  
57 points.  Shooting 37 percent and 28 from three is horrific. By far this was sdsu lowest points allowed this year. That includes 2 non d1!

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It’s 8 games that’s over 25% of the season. They have been dreadful to say the least. I don’t think anyone can possibly play worse. 
A few role players but not much more. Scoring typically goes down in conference play… so 

He just makes excuses after excuses. High on cole? Based off of what.  Just asking.  
57 points.  Shooting 37 percent and 28 from three is horrific. By far this was sdsu lowest points allowed this year. That includes 2 non d1!

I agree that the postgame pressers are just empty words in the wind. OTOH, what can he say, “we stink and have an excruciatingly bad offense”?  While such candor might be refreshing, I doubt it’ll be forthcoming.

My being high on Cole is based on the video I’ve seen of him from when he played in the NBA Academy. I’m intrigued by his combination of height, athleticism and shooting ability. Look, Cole is the least of our problems. Let’s see what the kid does going forward. 

Just now, TSU88 said:

I agree that the postgame pressers are just empty words in the wind. OTOH, what can he say, “we stink and have an excruciatingly bad offense”?  While such candor might be refreshing, I doubt it’ll be forthcoming.

My being high on Cole is based on the video I’ve seen of him from when he played in the NBA Academy. I’m intrigued by his combination of height, athleticism and shooting ability. Look, Cole is the least of our problems. Let’s see what the kid does going forward. 

He can make adjustments and not rub your head into the freaking wall for 40 minutes. Some here don’t mind this start. Just waiting on hicks and cole to be back.. 

Good news there’s atleast 7-10 people who won’t be back next year