• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls in double OT to Bryant 101-93

31 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Eh. I tend to think so because their leader constantly shits the bed in those types of games. Not having a lead guard or guy who can get their own shot hurts. Sorry to the one who thinks we have Dwayne Wade on our team.  

But I think it’s just as much, the other staff and team knows we will choke in due time. Just call us shooter mcgavin. 

Top player out, interim coach, some of the other players fouled out, no depth and we still couldn’t finish the job.  We talk about getting fans to games, additions to stadiums, NIL (lmfao), it’s all semantics if we aren’t going to win games

Said Dylan’s style of play reminds me of Dwayne Wade.   Didn’t say he was D Wade!  
And by the way.  He’s been great for us this season.  

• Haha 1

After a deep breath and bashing my head against the wall, I'm going to try and take the emotion out of it and look at this loss (collapse) somewhat analytically in the good, bad and ugly.

Good

*Rebounding 61-35. Read something on Twitter/X (always right) that Towson was the first team since 2010 to lose a game with 26 more rebounds and at least six double-digit scorers.

*May continues to shoot well, Made 6 of 11 and 3-of-6 from 3pt.

*Mekhi Lowery was fantastic at times with 12 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists and two steals. I was going to highlight the play he made underneath the basket had we won. As the ball was going out of bounds off a miss, he rebounded the ball and somehow managed to get the ball to Jones, who was standing underneath the basket. Now that was a high IQ play for a freshman or non freshman.

Bad

*Nendah Tarke was underwhelming in his first stint off the bench with 3 points on 1-of-7 from 3 point range. Normally, I don't think he'd take that many threes, but it was in the second overtime when everyone fouled out that he and Tejada just started launching and missing threes. Did have one steal and had his hands on at least two other balls that were deflections. He also should have been on the floor more when it counted to help break the press late in the game. Don't understand hi just standing in the corner and waiting for the ball. But he was overly  unselfish and you could see that when he dished a hard pass to Chase Paar (not known for great hands) and he lost it. So even if he practied with these guys, he's still trying to figure out strengths and weaknesses. Would like to see him start and get May and Williamson the ball near the 3-point line.

*Defense was awful around the arc. Not just one person. Thought May struggled defensively. Jones and Tejada are going to have their issues against smaller and quicker guys.

*Free throw shooting. Kind of used to it now. May misses two late in crunch time. He's shooting better but this was a rare time with him on the floor and he seemed to shy away from the ball. It can't be just Williamson and Thompson playing 2 on 5 at the end of games. 

*Free throw shooting. Neither team was great. But unless it's Williamson going to the line (84.6%) most of the time or Tejada (75.7%), who was barely in the game, we don't have any reliable FT shooters. May should not be shooting 53.6% from the line with that stroke . Jones (65.6%) was a bit better at the line at Wofford (71%). Lowery is a mess right now (10-of-26, 38.5%) at the line. He does so many things right, but I'm not putting him on the floor late in games, but you need more ballhandlers if you are facing a press and Tarke (54% last year) might be a disaster. Hicks is 6 of 6 this year from the line, so I guess he can be our Four/Gibby late in game (half joking). Charles (59.6%) did make 3 of 4 late in the game. Sulaiman (13 of 16) is actually pretty good from the line but he was M.I.A late in the game.

Ugly

*Finishing near the cup. Again, Charles Thompson going 2 for 10 and (not his fault) was handling the ball everywhere around the floor and trying to break the press. He's not a point guard, point forward or point center. Six turnovers is way too much and you wonder why he's regressed from finishing near the basket. He is shooting just 39.1% from the field. That's incredibly low for somebody who shot 56.5% from the field last season around that coming into this season for his four-year career. 

*Coleman for Sulaiman. Unless there's an injury I didn't know about or a sickness, this was an odd move. I know it was for defense, I assume. But Coleman missed a huge wide open layup during the game in 11 minutes and grabbed just one rebound in 11 minutes. I know Sulaiman was -19 or something like that in 8 minutes. 

*Decisions late in the game. Not to guard the inbounder in the last few seconds. Fouling that far from the basket and yes, he suckered May into fouling him (Edert) as he was releasing the ball. If they tied the game on a difficult three, would we have been pounding the coaching staff for not fouling? Probably. But it would have taken a tough shot for them to tie it. 

Why has CT regressed finishing at the cup?  He hasn't been schooled correctly in how to finish.  I've mentioned over and over about using tackling dummies on him to build toughness and finishing through contact.  Instead, he shies away from it as much as possible.

Free throws an epic disaster.  CT at the line late with 1 to take the lead and it was last year's home game against Charleston all over again.  May can NOT be that bad from the line for as good a shooter as he is everywhere else on the floor.  It's completely unacceptable to be that consistently bad from the line and when you lose tight games, that's the first place you can go to look.

As for the end of regulation, I'm a proponent of fouling when up by 3.  *BUT*, if the other team has :04 and they gotta go 94 feet, then unless they loft the first pass into the frontcourt, let em chuck up a prayer and if it goes in, happy birthday.  Reading that we didn't put a man on the inbounds pass makes this mess an even more horrendous error in tactic (PUT A MAN ON THE BALL, PITINO!!).  If the first pass ends up in the backcourt, then play it out.  I'd love to know what the instruction was in the huddle before that play happened.

But here's the hidden play -- and the fact the Rules Committee changed this a few years ago really sucks -- used to be, if you got a technical foul, you lost the ball.  Now, it's point of interruption.  It's ludicrous (don't show up in my living room, Luda) that a team gets to keep the ball after a technical foul.  Bryant took advantage and scored right away on the resumption of play whereas the way it's supposed to be (and still is in HS), we'd have had the ball up 4 and probably close things out.

An incredibly frustrating loss but the silver lining is that it wasn't in conference so in the whole scheme of things, it really doesn't register much of a blip.

Edited by Chris Datres
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mat1992 said:

After a deep breath and bashing my head against the wall, I'm going to try and take the emotion out of it and look at this loss (collapse) somewhat analytically in the good, bad and ugly.

Good

*Rebounding 61-35. Read something on Twitter/X (always right) that Towson was the first team since 2010 to lose a game with 26 more rebounds and at least six double-digit scorers.

*May continues to shoot well, Made 6 of 11 and 3-of-6 from 3pt.

*Mekhi Lowery was fantastic at times with 12 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists and two steals. I was going to highlight the play he made underneath the basket had we won. As the ball was going out of bounds off a miss, he rebounded the ball and somehow managed to get the ball to Jones, who was standing underneath the basket. Now that was a high IQ play for a freshman or non freshman.

Bad

*Nendah Tarke was underwhelming in his first stint off the bench with 3 points on 1-of-7 from 3 point range. Normally, I don't think he'd take that many threes, but it was in the second overtime when everyone fouled out that he and Tejada just started launching and missing threes. Did have one steal and had his hands on at least two other balls that were deflections. He also should have been on the floor more when it counted to help break the press late in the game. Don't understand hi just standing in the corner and waiting for the ball. But he was overly  unselfish and you could see that when he dished a hard pass to Chase Paar (not known for great hands) and he lost it. So even if he practied with these guys, he's still trying to figure out strengths and weaknesses. Would like to see him start and get May and Williamson the ball near the 3-point line.

*Defense was awful around the arc. Not just one person. Thought May struggled defensively. Jones and Tejada are going to have their issues against smaller and quicker guys.

*Free throw shooting. Kind of used to it now. May misses two late in crunch time. He's shooting better but this was a rare time with him on the floor and he seemed to shy away from the ball. It can't be just Williamson and Thompson playing 2 on 5 at the end of games. 

*Free throw shooting. Neither team was great. But unless it's Williamson going to the line (84.6%) most of the time or Tejada (75.7%), who was barely in the game, we don't have any reliable FT shooters. May should not be shooting 53.6% from the line with that stroke . Jones (65.6%) was a bit better at the line at Wofford (71%). Lowery is a mess right now (10-of-26, 38.5%) at the line. He does so many things right, but I'm not putting him on the floor late in games, but you need more ballhandlers if you are facing a press and Tarke (54% last year) might be a disaster. Hicks is 6 of 6 this year from the line, so I guess he can be our Four/Gibby late in game (half joking). Charles (59.6%) did make 3 of 4 late in the game. Sulaiman (13 of 16) is actually pretty good from the line but he was M.I.A late in the game.

Ugly

*Finishing near the cup. Again, Charles Thompson going 2 for 10 and (not his fault) was handling the ball everywhere around the floor and trying to break the press. He's not a point guard, point forward or point center. Six turnovers is way too much and you wonder why he's regressed from finishing near the basket. He is shooting just 39.1% from the field. That's incredibly low for somebody who shot 56.5% from the field last season around that coming into this season for his four-year career. 

*Coleman for Sulaiman. Unless there's an injury I didn't know about or a sickness, this was an odd move. I know it was for defense, I assume. But Coleman missed a huge wide open layup during the game in 11 minutes and grabbed just one rebound in 11 minutes. I know Sulaiman was -19 or something like that in 8 minutes. 

*Decisions late in the game. Not to guard the inbounder in the last few seconds. Fouling that far from the basket and yes, he suckered May into fouling him (Edert) as he was releasing the ball. If they tied the game on a difficult three, would we have been pounding the coaching staff for not fouling? Probably. But it would have taken a tough shot for them to tie it. 

Everything was bad minus the one semi bright spot this year, Lowery.  

Defense horrific 

senior play beyond horrific

Playing Coleman over Suliman? Horrific

Shooting. Horrific. 

basketball iq non existent 

coaching. lol. N/A since there was none

Agree it’s baffling that we don’t get the ball to our better offensive players more. Instead we force feed an undersized soft role player who cannot finish.  Was like warm on tarke. Think he will help a bit. More so it’s another body but that will take some time. He’s a nice role player. Like everyone else 

Good news is, the king of college hoops ruled that this game didn’t count!!! (Wonder would it would have been ruled as if we didn’t yak up an 8 point play under 4 media. 

After sleeping on it, I thought I’d be less aggravated this morning. In fact, it’s just the opposite. Not guarding the inbounds pass? Are you kidding me? Playing Coleman? In fairness, it’s not all Skerry’s fault (just most of it). The FT shooting was dreadful, but Bryant’s was too. 

Look, concededly this game makes no difference in terms of any postseason aspirations. But it’s emblematic of 13 years of futility when it comes to trying to win games like this 

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

After sleeping on it, I thought I’d be less aggravated this morning. In fact, it’s just the opposite. Not guarding the inbounds pass? Are you kidding me? Playing Coleman? In fairness, it’s not all Skerry’s fault (just most of it). The FT shooting was dreadful, but Bryant’s was too. 

Look, concededly this game makes no difference in terms of any postseason aspirations. But it’s emblematic of 13 years of futility when it comes to trying to win games like this 

A. Poor free throw shooting can be corrected by proper coaching. They call it a free throw for a reason. 

B. None of the regular season games make a difference for postseason aspirations. As I have said before we play a twenty some game exhibition season for the few games that matter in March. 

In the end, it is ALL ABUT COACHING............

40 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Everything was bad minus the one semi bright spot this year, Lowery.  

Defense horrific 

senior play beyond horrific

Playing Coleman over Suliman? Horrific

Shooting. Horrific. 

basketball iq non existent 

coaching. lol. N/A since there was none

Agree it’s baffling that we don’t get the ball to our better offensive players more. Instead we force feed an undersized soft role player who cannot finish.  Was like warm on tarke. Think he will help a bit. More so it’s another body but that will take some time. He’s a nice role player. Like everyone else 

Good news is, the king of college hoops ruled that this game didn’t count!!! (Wonder would it would have been ruled as if we didn’t yak up an 8 point play under 4 media. 

fucking pathetic 

Let me understand this.  Maybe I’m misunderstanding..  the only bright spot has been Lowery this season so far!?

Tejada has been a solid freshman contributor… averaging 11 pts & 4 boards in 27 minutes a game.  Some freshman turnovers that will lower as the season goes on. 
May had back to back high scoring games before this loss…  his 11 point avg will bump up to 15-17 a game come CAA play.

Williamson has been our PG..  40 assists to 22 turnovers.  

We’ve been killing Jones and yesterday he has his best game.   CT has struggled mightily scoring but he is still contributing with his defense and rebounding.

2012 you are like Larry Brown..  love your players one day and hate them the next and you are a valued Towson fan so you have that right cause you follow and support this team 24-7..  no doubt about that. 

It was a devastating loss but we have young guys contributing early this season and IF they are coached up right will be really good for us. 

40 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Free throw shooting doesn’t bother me a ton. It’s usually a point a game difference from 62-70%. And as previously stated we usually don’t play close games. This time we did and it bit us in the ass but we shot around same %. May incapable of making fts is inexcusable though. 

Not guarding inbound is inexcusable but his “coaching”(use that loosely) style.  
The games all matter. Loser mentality. Yesterdays loss does a lot more harm than a win would have. 

32 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

A. Poor free throw shooting can be corrected by proper coaching. They call it a free throw for a reason. 

B. None of the regular season games make a difference for postseason aspirations. As I have said before we play a twenty some game exhibition season for the few games that matter in March. 

In the end, it is ALL ABUT COACHING............

It is all about coaching.  And we are behind the 8 ball there 

hey maybe we found another opponent for skerry to “rack up” easy wins against 

https://x.com/darenstoltzfus/status/1736257192846615028?s=46&t=Ngq04lxeei-KO1HZI6wvxg