• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Northeastern preview

Very quick turnaround following a long And OT game.
Hopefully the 600 or so people there and the cold air from that hockey rink house of horrors, affect our game. 
Gonna be a slow affair

With our last couple of games, we have passed Virginia for the second-slowest tempo in nation and our closed to passing North Texas for third-slowed (360). Northeastern is slow at 265th, but still averages almost five possessions more per game. 

We are tied for fifth in the nation in offensive rebounding. As has been stated here, you can see how our pace pushes up our defensive numbers. We are 33rd in the nation in scoring defense (64.4 ppg), while sitting at 171st in field goal percentage defense. Like UNC-W, Northeastern is a good free-throw shooting team (60th in the nation at 74.8%) and does not foul much (14.9 fouls per game, we are at 16.4 for a comparison). Even thought they have slow pace, they are still 239th in the nation scoring defense (73.8 ppg), and have the 331st-ranked field goal defense (339th in 3pt FG defense). They are in the upper third nationally in field percentage offensively. 

I don't know what to make out of the fact that we have been outscored in all three conference games in points in the paint by a total of 92-66 so far. There is probably some combination of good defense and luck (I would have to see a chart of quality vs. contested shots), but we are holding opponents to 9-41 from 3pt-FGs in our three conference games, which a little under 22%. 

19 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

With our last couple of games, we have passed Virginia for the second-slowest tempo in nation and our closed to passing North Texas for third-slowed (360). Northeastern is slow at 265th, but still averages almost five possessions more per game. 

We are tied for fifth in the nation in offensive rebounding. As has been stated here, you can see how our pace pushes up our defensive numbers. We are 33rd in the nation in scoring defense (64.4 ppg), while sitting at 171st in field goal percentage defense. Like UNC-W, Northeastern is a good free-throw shooting team (60th in the nation at 74.8%) and does not foul much (14.9 fouls per game, we are at 16.4 for a comparison). Even thought they have slow pace, they are still 239th in the nation scoring defense (73.8 ppg), and have the 331st-ranked field goal defense (339th in 3pt FG defense). They are in the upper third nationally in field percentage offensively. 

I don't know what to make out of the fact that we have been outscored in all three conference games in points in the paint by a total of 92-66 so far. There is probably some combination of good defense and luck (I would have to see a chart of quality vs. contested shots), but we are holding opponents to 9-41 from 3pt-FGs in our three conference games, which a little under 22%. 

Seems to me that our mind numbingly slow pace helps other teams stay close in games, since we rarely, if ever, take advantage of opportunities to build a lead by pushing the ball. We’ve got guys who can run the court, but Skerry is never going to change. If he had the Showtime Lakers, he would rein them in. Imagine what the scores of our games would be if there were no shot clock, like in the old Phil Ford, 4 corners era 

Edited by TSU88

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

I’ll give you a good one. They shot 20-28 from inside the arc last night.  Yes it’s Hofstra and they don’t defend well but still. 

Northeastern backdoored the hell out of them in the 2H. Hofstra guards nobody. Northeastern moved the ball incredibly well and are patient on the offensive end. 

If Towson shows up (unlike Monmouth) they will win. 

• Thanks 1