• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Northeastern upends Towson 67-59

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=486267&_gl=1*5lkb1t*_ga*NDg5NjI1NzQyLjE2OTc5MjI1MTY.*_ga_2ZWVK1X7BJ*MTcwNTE3Mjc3NC4xMy4wLjE3MDUxNzI3NzQuMC4wLjA.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/1/13/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-falls-at-northeastern-67-59-on-saturday.aspx

Chris Doherty scored 16 points to lead Northeastern (2-2 CAA) to a fairly comfortable 67-59 win over Towson (2-2 CAA) on Saturday afternoon. Towson couldn't overcome a terrible first half where they shot just 24% (4-17) from the field and committed nine turnovers. They had just three turnovers in the second half.

After being down 28-17 at the half, TU opened with a Dylan Williamson three from the corner. The Tigers did cut the lead to one but never could get over the hump. They gave up countless backdoor layups and were crushed in the paint. Northeastern shot 58% from the field for the game and had 42 points in the paint to 20 for the Tigers. Towson was also outrebounded 28-21.

Nendah Tarke led the Tigers with a season-high 17 points (9-11 FT). Towson shot their season. average from the line and that's not good as they were 19-of-30 (63.3%). Towson is back in action on Thursday night when they travel to Charleston. 

• Like 1

So, terrible first half effort similar to Monmouth, but defensively this was much worse. Not unpredictable with the quick turnaround and the overtime/30-minute delay game, but that's why you need to win that game in regulation. The oddest player tonight was Williamson and his usage. He played just 21 minutes and scored nine points with three turnovers. He was bad in the first half, but when you need a basket or a three, I'm not running Mekhi Lowery at the point. He can't shoot past five feet and that includes FTs. You have to get Williamson back in the game with 2-3 minutes left unless you think there's no chance or you're punishing him for a bad half. Sure, when your quarterback has a bad half, he disrupts the team. 

Other issues. Tejada's defense. Oh wow, he just gave up a wide open layup in the second half. You can call it a backdoor but he was just covering an area and lost his man completely. The paint defense was even worse. Not saying to play Paar more because he's limited, but Charles just didn't have it defensively tonight. The whole team seemed a step slow defensively, but he is the QB on defense. Way too many easy paint points for NE and to their credit, they also made some tough contested shots. Doherty was terrific today other than the turnovers (6). He plays similar to Charles in that he runs the offense, dribbles it better and is an excellent passer. It also looks like he's in much better shape than he was in the past. But defensively, you have to take advantage of him.

Would be nice if May can get off to better starts on the road and away from him. Again, I thought he found a rhythm in the second half and then he gets pulled. Sure, he played 41 minutes the other night but they need him to play both ends. Power forward position still a problem on both ends of the floor. Sulaiman has to give more than 4 pts and 2 rebs in 22 minutes. In 16 minutes, Jones had no points, took one shot, had 2 rebounds and 2 steals. 

Good news was that Jaiden Cole played a minute and played some point. Not sure what else to say.

Also, team showed backcourt pressure but didn't really trap until the end. Like to see more of that. Predictable loss, but it ain't getting any easier on Thursday. If they get off to a similar start, this team will get blown out of the gym in South Carolina.

Only good news was the play of Tarke in the second half. He's driving and getting to the line. He's actually making his FTs (9 of 11). 

Pete Shinnock used the team "little margin for error" a lot this season. Meaning lack of talent so you better make very few mistakes. Feel the same was about men's hoops. There's young talent but you have four freshmen and three getting time. The upperclassmen are just not good enough to carry the team. 

• Like 1

At what point are there more grandiose desires than 20-14 seasons, top 4 conference finishes, and semifinal exits? Year 20 or year 25? This year's team won't sniff achieve that success above, more like 16-17, 7th-9th seed and quarterfinals but at least we have that jan 6th uncw banner to hang, right guys?

Sorry if this offends anyone

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Royal Tiger said:

At what point are there more grandiose desires than 20-14 seasons, top 4 conference finishes, and semifinal exits? Year 20 or year 25? This year's team won't sniff achieve that success above, more like 16-17, 7th-9th seed and quarterfinals but at least we have that jan 6th uncw banner to hang, right guys?

You’re not alone in your frustration. Disclaimer: I didn’t watch the game today, as I knew it would be another depressing outcome. I did glance at the score occasionally online, and wasn’t surprised to see we had 17 points at the end of the first half. Two conference road games & 2 losses, with 102 points scored (for an average of 51 points per game). Needless to say, conference road wins will be at a premium. And you’re right, the ceiling for this team is around 16 wins, a middle of the pack finish in the conference, and a quick exit from the conference tournament. I wish I could say there’s light at the end of the tunnel, but sadly I don’t think there is. No matter how many potentially promising freshmen and/or portal players he brings in, history has shown something will go off the rails. This may be harsh, but he’s not a winner. 3 more years of this (at least). The thought of this unentertaining and unsuccessful brand of ball 🏀 is tough to fathom, but that’s the reality.  Sad that I’ve reconciled myself to this. I guess it’s one of the stages of grief 

Our offensive system is pathetic for the talent that is on the floor.  The sub patterns again mystified me.  As Mat mentioned, May finally gets into a rhythm and he gets pulled.  Charles helps get us within 1 with 10:00 left and he gets pulled.  Doherty immediately schools Paar and we never get back into it.  We're in mid-January and we have zero clue as to a rotation that works.  Of course, if guys play in 2-3 minute shifts, how can you ever figure out a rotation?  I stated this after the Monmouth debacle but our best offensive players need to be getting 30-35 minutes per night.  You can't get into any offensive flow when the personnel changes on every other stoppage.  Then when they actually get into a flow, someone's coming out for no reason.

Charleston is going to be a bloodbath.  If that line is anywhere in single digits, lay the wood on CoC.

• Thanks 1

What a kooky conundrum. These guy are BAD at scoring (on the road) yet somehow we are good enough to win 15 in a row at home and beat a team that beat #6 Kentucky

are we an elite mid major?

are we frauds?

We never beat CofC so i have no confidence we go down there and get a win Thursday. Sheesh! Glad that one isn’t televised 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Royal Tiger said:

Why would an opinion offend anyone unless it’s regurgitated 500 times? This game was over at the half. They fight hard to make it a game but when you get little help on the boards from your big guys, they don’t have the guard play to overcome the rebounding issues or defensive lapses. I think the quick turnaround may have something to do with lack of energy on defense but the offense is pretty much rinse and repeat. They ran a nice play for Williamson to start the half a nice ally oop for Tejada off an inbounds play. Need more of that

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

You’re not alone in your frustration. Disclaimer: I didn’t watch the game today, as I knew it would be another depressing outcome. I did glance at the score occasionally online, and wasn’t surprised to see we had 17 points at the end of the first half. Two conference road games & 2 losses, with 102 points scored (for an average of 51 points per game). Needless to say, conference road wins will be at a premium. And you’re right, the ceiling for this team is around 16 wins, a middle of the pack finish in the conference, and a quick exit from the conference tournament. I wish I could say there’s light at the end of the tunnel, but sadly I don’t think there is. No matter how many potentially promising freshmen and/or portal players he brings in, history has shown something will go off the rails. This may be harsh, but he’s not a winner. 3 more years of this (at least). The thought of this unentertaining and unsuccessful brand of ball 🏀 is tough to fathom, but that’s the reality.  Sad that I’ve reconciled myself to this. I guess it’s one of the stages of grief 

Unfortunately the same. Knew this would be an ugly loss. We likely won’t win on the road this year. 
Decade plus and this has been the breaking point for me. Not just the play on the court and the “coaching”,  but the constant blind support and rah rah attitude on here. Just nauseating.  Not you, you’re a good in the middle.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blounge said:

What a kooky conundrum. These guy are BAD at scoring (on the road) yet somehow we are good enough to win 15 in a row at home and beat a team that beat #6 Kentucky

are we an elite mid major?

are we frauds?

We never beat CofC so i have no confidence we go down there and get a win Thursday. Sheesh! Glad that one isn’t televised 

Elite mid major?!  We have been a 5 to 7 team in a low/mid major league that is dieing, for a decade 

Not surprised we lost. Hey, at least we’re getting wins at home which is impressive. However doesn’t mean much come tournament time when you’re not playing at home. So again, nothing new to see folks. Skerryball!’

• Like 1