• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB stuns Charleston 82-78

That was a fun notification to get after stepping off the court following 2 of the worst games in organized basketball history.  It was also a fun watch back on YouTube thanks to it being a freebie on the Flo.  We're gonna win a number of games when we get that kind of shooting but I think it's an even bigger deal that Tarke was such a part of the scoring as well as DW getting into the lane and causing trouble in there.  I'd agree with Coach that it was the best effort of the season (at least that I've seen) and to get a road win, ANY road win with how difficult it's been across the country, but especially at a place that has tortured us over the years, is really giant.  As Mat said, now we gotta capitalize on it.

As for the last minute or so of the game, our IQ wasn't all that great.  The free throws were frustrating enough but the needless fouling (2 by Sulaiman) just can't happen.  I have a fear that we're gonna have a game in hand in the last minute and we'll yak it away because of the free throw line.  We keep harping on it but it's gotta be fixed.

Bring on the Camels on Saturday.

Need to watch it back.  The general idea of free throw shooting is doing the same routine…  was Dylan mixing how many dribbles beforehand etc?!  
At one point in the game we were 7-9 as a team and I stupidly mentioned it in the chat box.  
Heck of a road win I’ll enjoy this evening but how big is the Campbell game now with no fans at the TU Arena.  These guys have to be mentally tough and play for themselves no matter the size of the crowd. 

10-8/3-2..  11-8/4-2…  make it happen! 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

As bad as the FT shooting was by Williamson late, the 2 by CT were HUGE. To go up 7 with about 30 seconds left kind of ended it. 

going back to Tarke, saw him at Monmouth. That kid is so strong. His legs look like tree trunks. 

hoping this win gets the team some confidence and allows them to mesh a bit. Getting a top 4 spot in the tourney is where the focus needs to be. 

One obvious thing I forgot to mention was getting off to a great start on the road is everything. Even though they tied it up at the half, we were scoring at will against them. Not just on threes but we attacked their defensive weaknesses, which they have a few. We didn’t or couldn’t do that last season with maybe one guy who could drive some in Cam. 

I’m not sure if this team had an identity until last night and they may still not have one. Last year, it was all about Timberlake scoring 20 points and Cam getting 15, 8, and 5. CT 12 and 8. If they didn’t provide those numbers, the likelihood of Towson winning was minimal.

Now, if May is off, you have to hope Tejada or Williamson puts up big numbers. Tarke needs to score at least low double figures on this team, but he can impact the game in so many ways similar to Cam. 

As for Sulaimans fouls yesterday, both came as he attempted to rebound. I didn’t mind the one where he kept Scott, I think, off the boards. The other was on an offensive rebound and at that point, you just have to get back on defense. Other than that, I was extremely encouraged by his play and those three steals were huge. It really doesn’t matter if he or Jones starts. They both play about the same amount of minutes and come out 2 minutes into the game.

• Like 2

Sorry for betting against the boys! I wanted to fan the flames and ignite some fire into this fan base. It was really quiet on here until the 3’s started raining in Charleston! I’m happy to eat crow after having little confidence in our guys to get it done on the road. Now we have two impressive wins against two of the best teams in the league CofC and UNCW. But on the other hand we have two ugly losses to Monmouth and NE.

Towson basketball a rollercoaster of emotions! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Sorry for betting against the boys! I wanted to fan the flames and ignite some fire into this fan base. It was really quiet on here until the 3’s started raining in Charleston! I’m happy to eat crow after having little confidence in our guys to get it done on the road. Now we have two impressive wins against two of the best teams in the league CofC and UNCW. But on the other hand we have two ugly losses to Monmouth and NE.

Towson basketball a rollercoaster of emotions! 

it ain't March yet

Campbell is 3-2 in CAA play.  Could easily come in and wreck us on Ravens day.  
Imagine if this team had a healthy Watson. 
So glad it has worked out for Tarke the Shark. 
Assume they will be free throw shooting today once they return.  No excuses for a quick Saturday turnaround game.  4-2 or this message board will have a mutiny. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Assume they will be free throw shooting today once they return.  No excuses for a quick Saturday turnaround game.  4-2 or this message board will have a mutiny. 

We have a mutiny after every loss. What else would be new? Some just love the misery. The schadenfreude. Hey, let's give this team kudos for the road win against a team that had won nine straight games and was supposedly down from last season (and wasn't going to match 31 wins). A team that we had chances to beat in all three games last season and couldn't get it done at the end. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Yup 500 free throws, stretch, rest, stay warm, stay ready for another tigers W! Class is cancelled today so no stress getting to class on an icy hilly campus 

8 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Yup 500 free throws, stretch, rest, stay warm, stay ready for another tigers W! Class is cancelled today so no stress getting to class on an icy hilly campus 

Practicing free throws isn't the problem. They do it all the time. It's the mental aspect of shooting them in the clutch in front of fans who are either booing you or wanting to cheer you. Some will never be good at it and some want the pressure. It's also the approach. Take your time. A deep breath. Shoot over the front of the rim. Also might try playing loud music or simulating crowd noise. Putting people in the back of the basket and yelling at them when they are at the line. Williamson, Tejada, May and even Suliaman should be at least 70% FT shooters. Shooting in the last five minutes is another story. Probably why I'd rather have Tarke shooting them than Dylan only due to experience. Tarke shot 54% from the line last season, but he gives a more relaxed vibed because he's been a D1 player for 4 years.