• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Drexel Preview

Extremely similar styles. Both are amongst the slowest in temp and lowest in possessions.  Best defensive rebounding team against best offensive rebounding team. Both teams play solid d and shoot minimal threes. Both are top 2-3 in rebounds blocks and 3p defense. Both have depth and Drexel goes 10 deep.

Best team that spiker has had at Drexel. Should be a good game 

• Like 1

Big game. School hasn't started yet but hoping some students are back. Looking forward to seeing this 

Two trends I would love to keep up in conference play that I think are a mix of good defense by Towson and a little bit of luck is our three-point shooting compared to opponent's three-point shooting and our assist-to-turnover ratio compared to opponents. 

We are currently second in CAA Play in 3pt-FG pct. at .394 (52-132). In our first six games we are 6-28 (Monmouth), 9-18 (UNC-W), 10-25 (Stony Brook), 6-16 (Northeastern), 10-19 (Charleston) and 11-26 (Campbell). Of course the team in front of us is Drexel, who is shooting .427 (56-131) in seven conference games.

Conversely, we are holding a opponents to a .229 3pt-FG pct. at 24-105, which is .59 lower than anyone else (NC A&T is second at .288). Not only that, but we have allowed the second-lowest attempts in conference play as well. This seems to be a mix of quality defense and the slow pace I often criticize. I don't have anything to back this up, but Skerry's demanding switch defense which looked awful at times last year seems like it is a lot tighter this year. We seem to overall have more players capable of doing it, and more athleticism. In our first six games opponents are 1-15 (Monmouth) 4-17 (UNC-W), 4-19 (Stony Brook), 4-10 (Northeastern, who was on fire with 2pt-FGs), 8-28 (Charleston) and 3-16 (Campbell). 

Another thing is that our opponents have 45 assists while committing 67 turnovers. That is an average of 7.5 assist per game. We are going to the line 17 times more than opponents 109 to 92, but only making two more free throws. 

In conference play, we are averaging 1.084 points per possession on an average of 61.6 possessions per game (we are 9-0 when we get to 1.1 on the year). That is slightly above our overall pace (61.1 possessions per game). We are limiting our opponents to 0.957 points per possession on 62.5 possessions per game. Drexel is averaging 1.307 points per possession on 62.7 possession per game. They are also limiting opponents to .903 points per possession on 63.1 possession per game. They are shooting 51% in conference play too. 

I will say so far their tough games against Monmouth, UNCW and Delaware have all been at home. They have played NC A&T, Hampton, Elon and William & Mary on the road, while we have player College of Charleston, Northeastern and Monmouth. This will obviously still be a very difficult game. 

Let's go Tigers!  Although I have to say I get a little bit nervous when extra eyes start focusing on the squad.  Seems like we usually end up on the wrong side when the lights start pointing more towards the Tigers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

Let's go Tigers!  Although I have to say I get a little bit nervous when extra eyes start focusing on the squad.  Seems like we usually end up on the wrong side when the lights start pointing more towards the Tigers.

+1. When the lights shine bright and there is hype for a game the tigers (all sports) usually lay an egg. Hope that’s not the case tonight and we can have a start like we did against them in the 09 tournament 

• Like 1

https://x.com/bigal_wmu/status/1750530735206019177?s=46&t=_ArGClX3XZ7EdROrGIJtmw

https://x.com/bigfiveplusone/status/1750531175742062889?s=46&t=_ArGClX3XZ7EdROrGIJtmw

https://x.com/cbbtheater/status/1750540952047866029?s=46&t=_ArGClX3XZ7EdROrGIJtmw

https://x.com/dcrain_aad/status/1750514063992402172?s=46&t=_ArGClX3XZ7EdROrGIJtmw

good to get some more eyes on the program, but also a good test to see if we can finally handle the spotlight. Pressure makes diamonds! Great feeling to have a big game being played in TU Arena since most good teams are scared to come play here and get beat by the best home team in the country. Keep the streak alive, 16 straight!

• Like 1