• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

CAA Men's Basketball Thread

35 minutes ago, Blounge said:

I put $1 on CofC and UNCW

Is the Saturday slate of tournament games Flosports only?

Flo only until Monday. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

That makes some sense. You are basically betting on the winner of CofC/UNCW. I really have no idea what to expect from Towson, but something tells me we can take down UNCW in the quarters. Our style and poor shooting also leaves us vulnerable to keeping a game against William & Mary or NC A&T closer than it should be (although as TUTigers2012 pointed it earlier this week and as it played out, it feels like NC A&T is a good matchup for our strengths). 

I have confidence in this team to beat anyone in this conference outside of Charleston right now (we haven't been able to beat them the last two seasons when the chips were really on the table, not to take anything away form an impressive win early this season) in a one game setting. However, as we mentioned all year long I don't have confidence that they can close out a tight game against one of the top teams or that they can put together 2-3 good performances in a row (two has been hard enough).

I think we can be overly negative at times on the micro of this team on this board. They have played well at times (UMass, at Charleston, UNC-W at home and a decent amount of the home slate). The macro part of it is where much of the negativity is deserved. I don't seen any evidence that we are consistent enough to accomplish the goal we all want to see, and we are probably right where we are every March. I could have summoned more optimism if we only needed two wins to get to the conference tournament final, but the combination of needing four to win it and three to get to the final, along with being stuck on Charleston's side of the bracket makes it tough to be overly optimistic.

Still, this the third segment of the season. I would give us a C in non-conference. The UMass win probably moves it from D+ to C or so. I would say B- in conference play. The Hampton loss, which ultimately cost us the bye takes it down from a B. I think we need to wait until the conference tournament happens to judge overall. Even though I think we all have a sense for what is coming.  

I actually thought last year was one of our better conference tournament efforts from start to finish, but as usual it wasn't good enough. It might have been the most consistent level we have played at in the conference tournament under Skerry. Still, I have no argument for the lack of results in the CAA Tournament, which haunts this coach, this program and all of us fans. I just try to wipe the slate clean every March and bring us much positivity as I can to each one of these games. Once we find out who we play on Friday, Saturday's game is the business at hand and so so on. 

Agree. Can win some, but also can very well lose the first. Think it’s way more likely we lose Saturday then beat uncw on very short rest.

you bring up home records, we are 0-5 in neutral floor games 

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Flo only until Monday. 

Agree. Can win some, but also can very well lose the first. Think it’s way more likely we lose Saturday then beat uncw on very short rest.

you bring up home records, we are 0-5 in neutral floor games 

The neutral-site record is a fair point, but those games all happened a long time ago. You can throw Houston out of the window because we aren't playing anyone near their caliber in this tournament. I would say Wake is probably better than anyone we will play too, although the lack of being able to close that game has some relevance to the type of team we are and have been in the past. North Texas was a just a complete no-show, which I suppose could happen but I don't think it will. South Dakota State was essentially a road game, and we are the closest team to this site. Of course, we know that won't stop UNC-W or Charleston from outnumbering us if we play them. I don't know even know how to categorize that absurdity that was the Bryant game.

I honestly feel like our road performance in the CAA is a better data point than our overall neutral site record, and of course that isn't very good either. UNC-W was also only 5-4 in conference play on the road (we were 4-5). I think this whole conference (other than probably Charleston) is crap away from home. Towson and UNC-W had the marquee road wins at Charleston, but both happened over a month ago and both teams have scuffled at times recently. 

26 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Is is Saturday yet???  
Suspense is killing me. 

just keep your expectations low lol. If we win then we can enjoy it for about 12 hours. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, sr16 said:

just keep your expectations low lol. If we win then we can enjoy it for about 12 hours. 

I had the same thought. You think primetime Pat Skerry would win a March madness game? Have you seen how every other big game has gone for us? I would love to see Towson on a bracket but I certainly wouldn't pick them to advance to the next round

Just to follow up on an earlier point. Here are the conference road records (who teams lost to in road CAA play), overall road records, neutral-site records and strength of schedule for the top eight teams. 

Conf. Road Rec          Road Record         Neutral Site     KenPom SOS
Charleston           8-1                           10-2                     1-3                210                    lost at UNCW
Drexel                 4-5                           6-10                     1-0                176                    lost at Towson, at Monmouth, at UNC-W, at Charleston, at Hofstra
Hofstra                4-5                            5-9                      3-1                60                     lost at Northeastern, at Campbell, at Monmouth, at Drexel, at Charleston
UNC-W                5-4                           10-6                     1-1                46                     lost at Drexel, at Towson, at Stony Brook, at Campbell
Towson                4-5                           6-6                      0-5                154                   lost at Monmouth, at Northeastern, at Hofstra, at Hampton, at UNC-W  
Delaware             4-5                            8-6                      2-2                236                  lost at Hofstra, at UNC-W, at Drexel, at Elon, at Stony Brook
Monmouth           1-8                            2-13                    2-0                142                  lost at UNC-W, at Charleston, at Drexel, at Stony Brook, at Delaware,
                                                                                                                                 at Northeastern, at Towson, at Hampton
Stony Brook         3-6                            4-11                    0-0                188                  lost at Towson, at Delaware, at Hofstra, at Campbell, at Monmouth, at Drexel

8 of the last 9 winners of the tourney have been non football schools. 7 of the last 9 (Covid season included) runner ups have been non football schools..

45 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

8 of the last 9 winners of the tourney have been non football schools. 7 of the last 9 (Covid season included) runner ups have been non football schools..

Should we get rid of football and double down on basketball?

6 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Should we get rid of football and double down on basketball?

Hard no, IMHO. Instead, let’s hold our basketball coach accountable for the caliber of players he brings in, as well as his postseason record 

• Like 1