• advertisement_alt
mat1992

Delaware thumps MBB 74-62 to end 18-game home winning streak

10 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Let's start with the Good, Bad, and Ugly

Good

*The Crowd (3,500)

Bad

*Another crappy start. I asked Pat about that and the NE start at home, where they got behind 15. Sounds like there could be changes on Monday night in the lineup. Can't start flat, especially on defense.

*Nendah Tarke is taking way too many shots for a point guard/combo guard//shooting guard. It's fine if most of those shots are within five feet, but those long 3s should not happen. In fact, I'd be looking to start Dylan Williamson in the next game. May was 1 for 6 and 0-3 from 3pt with 2pts and 2 rebounds. Can't have that from supposedly your best all-around player.

*I give Chase P. credit for getting out there, but they needed to go small tonight. He was unable to keep up with them in the halfcourt, especially Davis who just exploded past him off the dribble.

Ugly

*Three-point defense. It's one thing to give up some huge threes (some contested) to Tyler Thomas and Hofstra. It's another to ignore the scouting report (according to PS) and allow Cavan Reilly and Gereald Drumgoole Jr. to make 7 of 11 threes combined. Delaware made 11 of 19 overall and 5-7 in the second half. If that is not fixed, this season is over. Maybe time for another lineup change.

Bottom line is that, I hate saying this cliche', but there is little margin for error. If this team doesn't come out, play hard and especially on the defensive end, they are not going to beat quality teams. Defense and rebounding. That's what Pat mentioned tonight because he knows there is no Timberlake, Benimon or even Moto on this team to take over. Listen to some of his quotes when the video goes up.

This team wasn’t ready to play from the jump. Simple as that. Delaware is a good team And their starting 5 is MUCH better than ours.  Inglesby is a questionable coach but looked like John Wooden out there compared to Pat.

Good- the crowd (though most won’t be back after watching that). Charles’ offensive play. Need to do that against smaller teams. 

Bad- disappearing act of most of our players.  Trying to get into parking lots, arena and lines. You know you are Doing to have 3k+. Prepare for it!   free throw shooting 

Ugly- the play of 24. Can’t guard and jacks up deep threes. Hasn’t made the extra pass or any pass really in the last few games. I could say more but I’ll be nice.  
The defense.  We are slightly above average on defense on a good day. If we don’t play that way theres next to no chance to win.  Over rotating. Losing people. Not even moving at a game pace. All unacceptable.

Delaware had a plan and changed things up from last game. We did not and tried to run out the same role players who did step up last time, but couldn’t last night. It was clear early on but we kept doing it. 
FOR AS BAD AS WE ARE AT TIMES AND SOME FRUSTRATED WITH THE COACH, WE CAN ALL AGREE THE NONSTOP QUICK SUBS DO MORR HARM THAN GOOD

9 hours ago, tualum said:

And the typical late swoon begins… can’t make this up..

Yup we are on that part of the skerry cycle. Lucy with the football ..

IMG_2593.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

CAN ALL AGREE THE NONSTOP QUICK SUBS DO MORR HARM THAN GOOD

I don’t like when he brings in Paar & Lowery at the same time. Just puts too many guys on the court who are essentially non-factors on offense on the court at the same time. 

I hate to agree, but even though we beat them up there, DE appears to just be a more talented team than we are. Unfortunately, they’re not the only team in the conference who can make that claim. We’re very limited in terms of athleticism and shooting ability. We all know the formula for this team to win is defense & rebounding. As far as that goes, it appeared to me that DE had little difficulty beating our hedge defense, with good passing, last night. 

It is infuriating to me that we steadfastly refuse to go uptempo, and play to the strengths of DWill and Tarke. The marching order for them should be to push the ball, penetrate the lane and either take it to the rim or kick it out to someone like May or Tejada, for an open 3.

May: might score 20 one night, and 2 the next 

DWill: see May. Our laborious half court offense often results in him doing too much dribbling 

CT: super high motor/try hard guy, who might occasionally score in  the teens, but is going to miss his fair share of close shots 

Tejada: Erratic on offense; might get you in the low teens; might get you 2 points 

Jones: forget it 

Suliman: ceiling is probably around 7-8 ppg

Lowery: great on D; a major liability in our ponderous half court offense 

Paar: might occasionally get you 6 points. More like 2-4 ppg

Tarke: dreadful 3 point shooter. In 2 games vs DE he shot 7-32 from the field. Needs to abandon the 3 point shot and stick exclusively with driving to the basket 

When you add all this up, it’s simply not encouraging. We can still salvage a top four finish if we run off 3-4 straight W’s, but beyond that, it’s exceedingly difficult to imagine any sustained success in the conference tournament 

No need to craft a new reply when I can simply cut & attach my response from after the Hofstra game. My thoughts remain unchanged after last night’s game. 

IMG_5809.jpeg

56 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I don’t like when he brings in Paar & Lowery at the same time. Just puts too many guys on the court who are essentially non-factors on offense on the court at the same time. 

I hate to agree, but even though we beat them up there, DE appears to just be a more talented team than we are. Unfortunately, they’re not the only team in the conference who can make that claim. We’re very limited in terms of athleticism and shooting ability. We all know the formula for this team to win is defense & rebounding. As far as that goes, it appeared to me that DE had little difficulty beating our hedge defense, with good passing, last night. 

It is infuriating to me that we steadfastly refuse to go uptempo, and play to the strengths of DWill and Tarke. The marching order for them should be to push the ball, penetrate the lane and either take it to the rim or kick it out to someone like May or Tejada, for an open 3.

May: might score 20 one night, and 2 the next 

DWill: see May. Our laborious half court offense often results in him doing too much dribbling 

CT: super high motor/try hard guy, who might occasionally score in  the teens, but is going to miss his fair share of close shots 

Tejada: Erratic on offense; might get you in the low teens; might get you 2 points 

Jones: forget it 

Suliman: ceiling is probably around 7-8 ppg

Lowery: great on D; a major liability in our ponderous half court offense 

Paar: might occasionally get you 6 points. More like 2-4 ppg

Tarke: dreadful 3 point shooter. In 2 games vs DE he shot 7-32 from the field. Needs to abandon the 3 point shot and stick exclusively with driving to the basket 

When you add all this up, it’s simply not encouraging. We can still salvage a top four finish if we run off 3-4 straight W’s, but beyond that, it’s exceedingly difficult to imagine any sustained success in the conference tournament 

We don’t play to our strengths it seems.  Williamson and tarke can and should get into the paint anytime they want. Lowery too to some extent. Tejada can shoot. Charles is good off pick and roll. Honestly until last night jones was pretty good the last 5 or so games against smaller guys, going into the post.  He can rebound but not finish off those. 

yes we need to go faster but it’ll never happen. Again, a decade plus of different style players, skills, attitudes etc and still we can’t put it all together.  Players come and go but yet the constant is still the same…. Longest tenured coach in d1 without a trip to the dance or conf tourney final 

7-4 with 7 to play. 
So glad we have UNCW the last game before DC.  
We were the toast of the town and currently now just toast.  

Bounce back Monday!   No maple syrup Pat!!! 

Hang in there Towson faithful…  this team will find its way.  Lunar New Year tomorrow and if we all pray to the dragon 🐲 we should be fine.   

This is where we get into the drawbacks of our pace of play. If there are only going to be 59 possession by both teams and one shoots 11-19 from three and the other shoots 4-17 it is game over. That is a 21-point difference. We were +6 in turnovers, +8 in offensive rebounds (Charles had one less than Delaware) and +19 in field goal attempts and it didn't a mean a thing because we were playing from behind the whole game, we couldn't shoot and our offense just isn't very efficient even at its best. I give our guys credit for coming back against Northeastern, but our style and offense does not allow for any margin of error, and when we fall behind big early it is that much harder to overcome. 

Full disclosure, I only got to see the first half before I had to go to a previous commitment. However, it seemed like much of the same in the second half. From an offensive efficiency standpoint, we can not have Tarke and Thompson take 29 combined shots while May, Williamson and Tejada take 23. I know that is mostly because Thompson and Tarke are fearless and will always look to be aggressive, but even when he is struggling we need to find a way to get May more than six shots. Some of that is on him and some of that is on the guys not trying harder to get him some good looks to get going. 

After the Northeastern game, I mentioned that I would think teams would look at the tape to see how they have dissected our defense since they were pretty efficient in both meetings against Towson. Delaware clearly made some adjustments, but they also just hit some shots. They could have beaten us in Newark, but their shooting was atrocious. This time their shooting showed up. I praised our switching defense and three-point shooting early on in conference play, but it hasn't been very good the last two games. However, I also think we all know that there is a large element make or miss luck in three-point defense. The law of averages has definitely evened itself out. I know we played bad three-point defense in this game, but I would love to see a chart on open three makes and misses. I would guess Delaware missed 6 or 7 open threes in the first matchup, and they seemed to know down most of their open looks last night. 

We talk about our slow tempo compared to other teams, but we had 67 possessions in the first game against Delaware and our efficiency was actually worse than it was last night (1.000 in the first game to 1.051 last night) when we had only 59 possessions. In the losses against Hofstra and Delaware we have averaged (59.5 possessions averaged in the two games) less than our 63.4 possessions per game in conference (61.7 overall). I was wondering if it is part of their strategy to slow things down. That would make more sense last night than it would against Hofstra since Delaware jumped all over us and had control for the entire game. 

Being unbeatable at home was one of the things that had me optimistic about a top four and possible higher spot. Now that we are done with that, we will have to scratch and claw the rest of the way for a top 4 seed.

Our conference is probably the deepest race at the top of any in the nation. Right now, the CAA, Big 12, Horizon (they have already played 15 conference games), Mountain West, Pac-12 and Summit are the only leagues where the first place team has three losses. Every other conference has a team has with 0, 1 or 2 in first. We are also the only league with six teams within one game of first place. The Big 12 has four and six within 1.5 games, the MEAC has five, and the Mountain West has five and seven within 1.5 games. 

I only bring this up because there is really no reason to be overly pessimistic or optimistic about where we are now. We put ourselves in a good spot after nine conference games, we messed that up a little the last two, and we have a chance to somewhat fix it the next three before things get really tough. 

I do agree with Mat, that we have to tweak a few lineups and rotations. 

• Like 3

The last 4 games on the schedule will be brutal.  Not looking past the next three at all but 5-2 with some tiebreakers should get a top4. That path was a lot easier 24 hours ago

24 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The last 4 games on the schedule will be brutal.  Not looking past the next three at all but 5-2 with some tiebreakers should get a top4. That path was a lot easier 24 hours ago

No doubt about that, but if you look at the teams occupying the top six spots the other teams have to lose at some point too. If we take care of business against the non-top six (not a given) we will have at least 12 wins. Here are all the times top six teams will face each other the rest of the way

Feb. 15 - Hofstra at Drexel
Feb. 22 - Drexel at Hofstra, Charleston at Delaware
Feb. 24 - Charleston at Towson
Feb. 26 - Drexel at Delaware
Feb. 29 - Hofstra at UNC-W
March 2 - Towson at UNC-W, Hofstra at Charleston

Drexel (2A, 1H), Hofstra (2A, 1H) and Charleston (2A, 1H) all have three of those matchups left with two of the three for all of them on the road. UNC-W (2H), Towson (1 H, 1A) and Delaware (2H) have two left, and we are the only ones who do play on the road out of those remaining two. 

Stony Brook and Monmouth have also been tough at home and Stony Brook still hosts Delaware and travels to Drexel. Monmouth plays at Towson and hosts Stony Brook. Those two teams could also be dangerous in a tournament setting. Still a lot of stuff can unfold here when you take into account none of these teams are juggernauts. 

Keep in mind Charleston and Hofstra only lost twice in conference last year, and everyone already has at least three losses this year. There hasn't been a season since 2014-15 in the CAA where the regular-season champion has had more than four losses. I think we are heading that way this year. 

• Like 1