• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls at 0-13 Hampton 67-61

17 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Layups, Towson 10-32 and Hampton 13-18. It defeats the purpose to get 19 offensive rebounds if you struggle to put them back in to the basket. I

Bingo. I’ve said it before, being one of the leaders in offensive rebounds is terribly misleading, because in addition to missing the first shot, more often than not we miss the second one (and even the third one) as well. Please bring in better shooters!!!

Edited by TSU88

We asked for 500 free throws a day but sheesh these guys are so bad they need to practice 500 lay ups a day first

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Bingo. I’ve said it before, being one of the leaders in offensive rebounds is terribly misleading, because in addition to missing the first shot, more often than not we miss the second one (and even the third one) as well. Please bring in better shooters!!!

Yup. There’s a reason good teams aren’t good at offensive rebounding. Good teams score. Which means they make shots which means they don’t miss said shots and thus cannot or do not need to chase down their misses. 
Like our defense. It’s ok not good. But we play so slow it helps masks everything. We do not defend that well. Teams shoot a decent % against us. But only getting 61 possessions limits their points 

Again, an awful game and three coach again ducks the post game? Where the F is the accountability?!  Loser move by pat

11 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

This board has never blocked you from speaking your mind that I know of.  Bad loss today.  Frontier Airlines has now blocked me 🫣

Mhmm don’t be so sure

3 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yup. There’s a reason good teams aren’t good at offensive rebounding. Good teams score. Which means they make shots which means they don’t miss said shots and thus cannot or do not need to chase down their misses. 
Like our defense. It’s ok not good. But we play so slow it helps masks everything. We do not defend that well. Teams shoot a decent % against us. But only getting 61 possessions limits their points 

Again, an awful game and three coach again ducks the post game? Where the F is the accountability?!  Loser move by pat

It is a little too reductive to say good teams aren't good at offensive rebounding. Houston is fifth in the nation in offensive rebounding and they are pretty good. However, your point that the combination of bad layup percentage, subpar three-point shooting, horrible free-throw shooting and inconsistency of taking care of the ball make being a good offensive-rebounding team less relevant makes sense to me.

I really have a hard time with our defense, because it had a lot of breakdowns yesterday (13-18 layups for Hampton) and has had them at times this season. Ultimately, I think the defense can play at a high level, but it is too inconsistent to label really good. We had an awesome start defensively in the conference, but we have seen some opponents play well against it recently. I also think the offense has been so bad in so many games it makes it hard to realistically assess the defense. I look at it like bad offense in football. The defense can only be good for so long before the dam breaks. 

17 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

It is a little too reductive to say good teams aren't good at offensive rebounding. Houston is fifth in the nation in offensive rebounding and they are pretty good. However, your point that the combination of bad layup percentage, subpar three-point shooting, horrible free-throw shooting and inconsistency of taking care of the ball make being a good offensive-rebounding team less relevant makes sense to me.

I really have a hard time with our defense, because it had a lot of breakdowns yesterday (13-18 layups for Hampton) and has had them at times this season. Ultimately, I think the defense can play at a high level, but it is too inconsistent to label really good. We had an awesome start defensively in the conference, but we have seen some opponents play well against it recently. I also think the offense has been so bad in so many games it makes it hard to realistically assess the defense. I look at it like bad offense in football. The defense can only be good for so long before the dam breaks. 

Cougars may be the exception. They aren’t great offensively though. But their defense is elite and Sampson is a great coach. 

Hampton shot 45.5 and 33.3 yesterday. Is that great? No (but we would love to shoot like that). But it’s not bad either.  Team that cannot score the ball and has low basketball iq on the court and on the coaching staff, needs to be good or better on defense.

Playing at a snails pace helps but 4 road losses allowing an average of 60 points…  against 2 bad teams. Ain’t good

10 for 32 on layups?  As embarrassing as losing to Hampton is, shooting less than 33% on layups is even worse.  My daughter's 7th grade middle school team probably shot better than 33% on layups.  Like someone mentioned earlier it is harder than it seems as when you initally think layups you are thinking break away mostly uncontested, but I know a majority of these are defended put backs but still.  

If they made 50% of their layups (which is still nothing to write home about), they win the game.

S.O.T Nope they are ot even deserving of that.  I'll just post my thought when I saw the score:  "Sigh"

• Like 1