• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
El Tigre Oro

The Five Year Rule For Coaches

The idea does have a lot of merit.  If this were 10 years ago, heck even 5 years ago, I might not have thought as much about it.  But this is a new era where you don't build a program with longevity.  With the portal and NIL being what it is, it's essentially a free agent world whenever the season ends.  AD's will have to be smarter about the way they structure contracts (I've always thought that the immense buyouts given for firing are very irresponsible) and perhaps their philosophies need to evolve where they think more like an owner of a professional team rather than collegiate athletics.  In a '5-year world', the coaches will have much more of an urgency to get results rather than biding their time to get 'their guys' in the fold.  

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 11:34 AM, TSU88 said:

You’re correct, that there are outliers, and Coen is a good example. The difference though is, unlike our coach, at least Coen has been to the dance. In such a case, if a coach wants to establish roots, it’s a nice feel good story. In our case, after 13 years of postseason futility, the expiration date on the milk carton has expired. Unfortunately, I fear it’ll eventually be 16 years of such futility. I assume Skerry will soon be lobbying for yet another extension, claiming his ability to recruit will be hamstrung if he’s a short timer. (A somewhat dubious claim, given that the advent of the portal has resulted in a pool of short term rentals). And of course, citing to the fact he graduates kids & they do community service. I can only hope our AD & new President don’t fall for this. If they do, they might as well just give him a lifetime contract and be done with it 

I met the new prez at the UNCW game. He seemed to think the world of PS. I told him I wasn't a fan, but he didn't ask me to elaborate.

23 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I met the new prez at the UNCW game. He seemed to think the world of PS. I told him I wasn't a fan, but he didn't ask me to elaborate.

In conversation with fans/potential donors/just plain Towson Folks, the prez job is to talk up all about Towson and its teams/coaches, etc. We will see what happens when the rubber meets the road. 2027

59 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

Unfortunately so does the one in charge of athletics, from my experience.  

The program is just a joke that he’s 500 and will be here 15+ years with not even sniffing march 

2 hours ago, TigerFan54 said:

You mean the President wasn’t overly concerned with the opinion of a ( I assume-  random; non basketball professional , non major donor ) fan / alum…. When measured against a staff that took the program from dumpster-fire / probation status to top handful of the league EVERY year while graduating ALL their players ?   Shocking .  Although- Adam Silver ignores my ALL STAR tweak suggestions ; so ….. 🤷‍♂️ 

32 minutes ago, TTiger2024 said:

You mean the President wasn’t overly concerned with the opinion of a ( I assume-  random; non basketball professional , non major donor ) fan / alum…. When measured against a staff that took the program from dumpster-fire / probation status to top handful of the league EVERY year while graduating ALL their players ?   Shocking .  Although- Adam Silver ignores my ALL STAR tweak suggestions ; so ….. 🤷‍♂️ 

The year 2011 just called and it said while it’s grateful that Skerry pulled the program from the abyss, it’s also ok to hold Skerry accountable  for never having made it to a conference championship game, if not, you know, actually winning such a game. 

It’s laudable he graduates players. Other coaches graduate players AND win conference tournaments and go to the dance. Graduating players is one metric; it’s not the only one.

Serious question-let’s assume we don’t make it to a conference championship game this season, and the 3 after, which would take us to the end of Skerry’s contract, absent another extension. Notice I didn’t say he actually wins the game, but I set the bar at him simply getting us to the finals. Would you advocate that he get yet another extension? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TTiger2024 said:

When measured against a staff that took the program from dumpster-fire / probation status to top handful of the league EVERY year

This argument cannot exist in perpetuity, to justify keeping a coach with, by any objective measure, a DISMAL postseason record, can it?🤷‍♂️🤔

• Like 1

I frequent the message board of the other "TU" that is a 90 minute drive up 95. As I was perusing their board this morning, I realized Temple's women's coach is EXACTLY what the title of this thread is talking about.  Coach Richardson spent 5 years at Towson had success and used us as a stepping stone for another opportunity.  Picked to finish 9th in the AAC they are currently tied for first.  Some on their message boards call that team North Towson!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TSU88 said:

The year 2011 just called and it said while it’s grateful that Skerry pulled the program from the abyss, it’s also ok to hold Skerry accountable  for never having made it to a conference championship game, if not, you know, actually winning such a game. 

It’s laudable he graduates players. Other coaches graduate players AND win conference tournaments and go to the dance. Graduating players is one metric; it’s not the only one.

Serious question-let’s assume we don’t make it to a conference championship game this season, and the 3 after, which would take us to the end of Skerry’s contract, absent another extension. Notice I didn’t say he actually wins the game, but I set the bar at him simply getting us to the finals. Would you advocate that he get yet another extension? 

Lol. There’s not talking to that person. I’m surprised they even showed up. But he probably sees the writing on the wall that there may not be a win again this year and next years home Opener against goucher is a long way away. 

21 hours ago, TSU88 said:

This argument cannot exist in perpetuity, to justify keeping a coach with, by any objective measure, a DISMAL postseason record, can it?🤷‍♂️🤔

He’s a 500 coach.right around it and pitiful in big games. 
That guy makes it seem like he didn’t have the advantage of; more support, higher salaries, new arena, easier recruiting, academic support, a weaker league and more money did I mention that?!  He’s still no closer than Kennedy was 

7 hours ago, Blazer49 said:

I frequent the message board of the other "TU" that is a 90 minute drive up 95. As I was perusing their board this morning, I realized Temple's women's coach is EXACTLY what the title of this thread is talking about.  Coach Richardson spent 5 years at Towson had success and used us as a stepping stone for another opportunity.  Picked to finish 9th in the AAC they are currently tied for first.  Some on their message boards call that team North Towson!

That’s what we need to be. No coach should ever be here longer than their first contract and maybe another 1-2 years. 

23 hours ago, TSU88 said:

let’s assume we don’t make it to a conference championship game this season, and the 3 after, which would take us to the end of Skerry’s contract, absent another extension. Notice I didn’t say he actually wins the game, but I set the bar at him simply getting us to the finals. Would you advocate that he get yet another extension? 

No …. Prob no reason to extend if no finals .  But ( and I’ve seen the Kentucky message boards, I get fans being unreasonable) my question / thoughts are : what makes ya think Towson doesn’t go da other way ….BACK to da bottom of the barrel again?  Like …. You know ; 1-30, on probation laughing-stock ?   I wanna dance too, who doesn’t - but I just think we got a system NOW that gives us a chance every year …. Charles doesn’t sprain his ankle ; C of C doesn’t bury those 3 ballz last year ; …. You guys actually happy ?   IDK.   I get it …. Dance or die .  But ….it could (has) been wayyyyy worse (how soon they forget ) 🤷‍♂️.  #InMatt(andPARR)ITrust

• Haha 1