• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falters down the stretch, falls to No. 1 Charleston in semifinals 61-56

4 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

You’ll be waiting a long time!  I do like Williamson and think under a competent coach, would become that. But he’s at Towson, atleast for now 

Look, I’ve posed this question before, and I’ll do so again now…who would we want back next year from this team? The list is dwindling. IMHO, it’s down to Lowery, Tejada and Williamson. Can anyone truly say they enthusiastically want May back? Jones? Tarke? Suliaman? Coleman? Cole? (This one pains me, because I held out great hope for him, but no longer, at least not here). 

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Look, I’ve posed this question before, and I’ll do so again now…who would we want back next year from this team? The list is dwindling. IMHO, it’s down to Lowery, Tejada and Williamson. Can anyone truly say they enthusiastically want May back? Jones? Tarke? Suliaman? Coleman? Cole? (This one pains me, because I held out great hope for him, but no longer, at least not here). 

Gotta want Tarke back.  Considering how his season started by the NCAA I thought he had a solid season for us.  He’s a glue guy and we can’t come back with no PG’s. 
May led us in scoring this season and at times was really good defensively. Gotta bring him back.  

1 minute ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Gotta want Tarke back.  Considering how his season started by the NCAA I thought he had a solid season for us.  He’s a glue guy and we can’t come back with no PG’s. 
May led us in scoring this season and at times was really good defensively. Gotta bring him back.  

I don’t see Tarke as a PG. You may have a point about his season being sort of doomed from the beginning. If he comes back, I hope he’s coming off the bench. 

I’m a hard no on May coming back, and it goes beyond the airball. I think he scored 12 points in the tournament. Not 12 per game, but 12 total.

Bottom line is they’ll probably both be back. Heaven help us if so, because it’ll take divine intervention for us to win with these 2 bricklayers 

When you're the better team, you should win that game.  We were the better team tonight and the defense against those snipers was on point...for 36 minutes.  When May banked in the 3 to put us up 7, I thought that was a sign.  But when we got the stop at the other end and decided to go into clockball with 4 minutes left, I knew we were in trouble.  This is a choke of epic proportions that puts every one of our past disappointments in the conference tournament down a peg.  I have no idea why in the world you wouldn't just keep running your offense and working the ball down low to CT with that 7-point lead.  Oh wait, I know.  It's because we have a choking tactician on the sidelines.  How man free throws did we shoot tonight?  7.  Shameful.  As soon as we got that 7-point lead, that was the time to run the offense thru Charles and force Charleston to either collapse and open up a shooter or get him to the free throw line.  He had finally figured it out in the lane in the first half and yet only had 2 points in the 2nd half (while also committing a couple of insanely dumb fouls for anyone, let alone a 5th year senior).  But instead, freakin Paar is in the game and DW is out there on an island all by himself with no one coming to the ball.  Then we gotta chuck up crap at the shot clock horn when we hadn't done that the entire game.  Tarke should have been stapled to the bench after the first 10 minutes of the game when he showed that he was gonna be Bad Tarke and throw up a bunch of crazy crap around the rim.  He did NOTHING tonight.  But he could have made it all better if he flushes that breakaway layup.  Nope, that was too much to ask of him.  Weak.  This also points to the lack of player development and regression we've seen throughout the season out of a lot of players.  Who got better as the season went on?  DW, Tejada (though still an enigma at times), and that's about it.  I'd put Lowery on the positive side too but he needs to get tons better at the offensive end.  I love his defense and his activity on the boards.  

So now the elephant in the room.  I'm done with Skerry.  Great guy, keeps his players out of trouble (for the most part), graduates them, gets them opportunity post-college.  But he's hit his ceiling.  You have to be a winning coach in this situation when you're up by 7 with 4:00 left against the best team in the conference.  You can't have offensive liabilities on the floor during that time.  You have to realize that certain players don't have it tonight and make sure they don't continue to hurt you.  But most of all, you have to make your players better as the season goes on.  The player development over the last couple of years has been lacking.  I can't count the number of times I've watched a big man this year take it soft to the basket and miss layups.  That should be corrected in the summer, not allowed to fester throughout the entire year.  He's brought in a pair of D2 All-Americans in the last 2 years and both players looked like they wouldn't make a roster of any D1 team in the country.  Worst of all, we still try to win games via the caveman era.  We haven't evolved with how the game has evolved.  And yet, when we needed to go to that in the last 4 minutes, the wrong personnel is on the floor and the wrong gameplan is called out.  This is a shameful choke.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I honestly don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer, but to be speculating on who comes back, who leaves, who starts, etc. is a bit like rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. Have we not learned that the players that come into our program make little or no difference?? As long as the captain of the ship remains Skerry, this ship will ultimately sink. 

• Like 1

Just now, AtlantaTiger said:

I honestly don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer, but to be speculating on who comes back, who leaves, who starts, etc. is a bit like rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. Have we not learned that the players that come into our program make little or no difference?? As long as the captain of the ship remains Skerry, this ship will ultimately sink. 

He’s the captain for the foreseeable future 

2 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Meanwhile, #7 Stony Brook about to advance to the final. 

You just knew they would with us pissing away this game.  We are Towson.  
Just when we think we are out they pull us back in.  Up 7 and I’m texting fellow alums that was are gonna win this.  We did it.  Fuck me this nightmare never ends.  
Walk away Pat and give us a chance to win this decade please…. I beg of you.  

48 minutes ago, El Tigre Oro said:

Still waiting for that Alpha Dog Point Guard.

Williamson may not be the alpha dog but he’s the best we’ve had in awhile. He should have started with Tarke or instead of Tarke. I know he plays starters minutes but I think one of tbe most important parts of the game is the opening of the second half. 

• Like 1