• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General Basketball Thread for 2024-25

The season is over. I'm not going to go over it ad nauseum. We did so in every freakin' game. I don't expect a postseason game, because why we played in Canada. It would be one thing to play the freshmen, but they've already played enough save for Jaiden Cole.

Schedule:

It will be interesting to see what the schedule is going to look like in 2024-25. According to KenPom, Towson was 193rd in Strength of Schedule overall and 141st in non-conference schedule. Our point guard situation was a mess going into the non-conference schedule with Hicks getting hurt (again), D-Will trying to learn the position as a r-freshman and Lowery as the backup point guard. Hopefully, they add one more point guard because Williamson is ready to run the show.

So let's talk about next season (again). I know I brought that up earlier this season in this thread because I was excited about the freshmen coming in for next year's class and that I wasn't really pumped about this current team. 

Needs:

1)Point guard or combo guard with size. Kobe Rodgers (6-3, 180) is my ideal point guard or combo guard type. Tall, athletic, defends, decent shooter (14 of 33 from 3pt), but can get to the basket at will (51.6% FG, 4.6rpg, 79.5% FT).

2)Replace Charles at center. Need a starter or backup who can play 15+ mpg. Caleb Embeya (6-9, 225) is one of the most talented bigs we've brought in maybe ever. It sounds like hyperbole but I think guys like Charles are fine. They overachieve at 6-7, but having a more lengthy and athletic big with skill will be fun to have. He's going to have his ups and downs but he will play right away. But we desperately need a veteran big and more of an upgrade from Paar to back him up or start over him.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2NgPA2

3)Develop a more efficient offense. We need more willing passers. If Tarke is going to play significant minutes, he needs to get the ball to the shooters and scorers (Tejada, DWill, Embeya, etc.). But let's face it, they either need to find a transfer who is an upgrade. Tarke does bring defense and size, but I don't know if he lost a step or needs to get in a tad better shape. He just doesn't go by people like I thought he could. There needs to be at least one more combo and a true point guard, who can push for minutes. One has to be a 38%+ three-point shooter.

I've been saying this for years, but I know the small lineup (not that small or four-guard lineup didn't work late in the game against Charleston, I'm not sure having Jones or Sulaiman in the game would have meant much. But this team needs to run more. I don't know if that was the final Adjusted Tempo stat of 357, but there's no need to play stall ball and milk the clock until there's 3 seconds ball anymore: Williamson, Ndefo, Lowery, Watson, Embeya, May and even Tarke can push the ball and run the floor. I'd be working on transition all summer because it was not good in terms of making the right pass and guys filling the lane. We need bigs with agility and if you have Embeya up to 225 or 230 with a bulked up Tejada at 230+, the offense should be able to run smoother. They need better passers though and the biggest issue on offense for Tyler is that the ball stops with him. I don't mind it at times because he's the only weapon on the court at times. But next season, he, Tarke and others need to make the extra pass. We should be showing them film of Charleston's offense the entire off-season. That's the way we need to at least attempt to play. Get the ball down low and if it's not available. quickly move the ball to the open player.

4)Figure out the wing position and who is going to play the 4. Yes, they also need to add a transfer 4, 5 and 1. You have Tarke mainly at the 2 and then Christian May (6-5, 210), Marcus Watson (6-6, 215), Mekhi Lowery (6-7, 205), Tyler Tejada (6-8 1/2, 220) and Chike Ndefo (6-6, 190) They all have some attributes in terms of athleticism, length, defensive ability, etc. Ndefo is known more as an excellent defender, but he's been putting up some big numbers lately (26 points and 33 pts. recently). But there is no room at the moment barring a few things. I have to think that Tejada bulks up and moves to the 4. He was a center in HS and his lateral quickness isn't bad, but you can see that May and Lowery just moves better side to side. Lowery needs at least 15 pounds and an improved shot, but I think he plays everwhere. That leaves May and this is a huge summer for him to get that offense going. Watson, if healthy and he'll have nearly a year of rehab by the time he practices over the summer, if he's near 100%, he's a freak athlete like Lowery. A much better shooter (I know that's not saying much), but whether he fits in or not, who knows, He needs the ball, that's for sure.

5)Who is returning? Not sure, but no CT, no Paar and Radhir Hicks (concussion) may not return. Jaiden Cole is about 20 pounds away from being an impact player and needs a healthy summer. WIth 100 wings, it appeared that he was attempting to play the point. The shot that looked so good when he was just working on the side is now a high floater.. After that, we can all guess the players, but I don't want to speculate quite yet until I get more info about who is coming back and who is not. Also, NIL is always important to retain players but also to add a few in the portal. 

C Embeya

PF Sulaiman, Jones, Coleman

SF Tejada, Lowery, Ndefo

SG Watson, Tarke, May, J. Cole

PG Williamson

• Like 2

Our message board right now 😄

If only Tollgate Barbershop 💈 on Chesapeake Avenue were still open. 

In all seriousness..  have we identified who are the top donators to the Towson basketball program?  

IMG_6720.png

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

have we identified who are the top donators to the Towson basketball program?  

I doubt that info is available to the general public. We need some guardian angels with deep pockets in the worst way 

21 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I doubt that info is available to the general public. We need some guardian angels with deep pockets in the worst way 

We need to give them a reason to donate….and it is not mediocrity!

31 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Pat is the head coach.  I don’t see us ever getting over the hump so next thought is buying a player or two who possibly can.  If we know who the top contributors are then we ask (beg) for NIL money.  
I know at least “4” of the top contributors to USF basketball and they went out and bought Jonathan Mogbo (success) and Mike Sharajamts (bust)   

2012 made a great point recently..  3 years left with this coach.   Then either sandbag and go with Juco/D2 players or go after a name of some sorts.  Let our fanbase and more importantly our top contributors know what the plan is.   P & L report etc.  Town Hall meeting.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

2 years left with this coach.

It’s 3 years…I think. End of 26-27 season 

25 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Pat is the head coach.  I don’t see us ever getting over the hump so next thought is buying a player or two who possibly can.  If we know who the top contributors are then we ask (beg) for NIL money.  
I know at least “4” of the top contributors to USF basketball and they went out and bought Jonathan Mogbo (success) and Mike Sharajamts (bust)   

2012 made a great point recently..  3 years left with this coach.   Then either sandbag and go with Juco/D2 players or go after a name of some sorts.  Let our fanbase and more importantly our top contributors know what the plan is.   P & L report etc.  Town Hall meeting.  

Or we can try and go route of ole miss football and go all in one year and use all the money there. Obviously we would save up until pat “no big wins” skerry is gone.  That would entice a coach too. 

We could be 31-2 with all 5 starters on first team all conference and we still would not win the league with that little man roaming the sidelines.

If you want a Towson equivalent elsewhere in the country, head to the home of Corporal Klinger.  Toledo has had Tod Kowalczyk since 2010 and they've had 8 20-win seasons in his tenure there.  But in the MAC Tournament, that's where the terror happens.  They've at least made 3 conference championship games but they've gone into the last *4* conference tournaments as the 1 seed.  Today, as the 1 seed, they got whacked by Kent State, a team they had beaten by 14 & 15 in the regular season.  They extend their Tournament-less streak to 44 years (one of 61 schools who have not been there since we were last there, though almost half those have barely been in D1).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

If you want a Towson equivalent elsewhere in the country, head to the home of Corporal Klinger.  Toledo has had Tod Kowalczyk since 2010 and they've had 8 20-win seasons in his tenure there.  But in the MAC Tournament, that's where the terror happens.  They've at least made 3 conference championship games but they've gone into the last *4* conference tournaments as the 1 seed.  Today, as the 1 seed, they got whacked by Kent State, a team they had beaten by 14 & 15 in the regular season.  They extend their Tournament-less streak to 44 years (one of 61 schools who have not been there since we were last there, though almost half those have barely been in D1).

Just gave me a brilliant idea.  I can start dressing up like a woman, post pics and this message board will kick me out and hence ending my long tenure as a suffering Towson 🏀 fan.  Oh wait I live in San Francisco.. no one will buy it.   In Pat I trust until 2050! 

I dont know why but I think I have gotten sadder. What a disaster. Lol. WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN hurts every time. With a healthy Watson, man we coulda overcame the hump this year. 

Edited by sr16
  • Like 1