• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

2017-18 recruiting class

(1) Prophete-complete bust. Transferred out after scoring 1 basket his freshman year. Now at a JUCO in Florida;

(2) Ingram. Quit during the season, after pouting about not getting enough PT. Transferred to Hampton. Subsequently quit their & is now playing in that league started by the father of the guy (Ball) who plays for the Lakers;

(3) Drayton-redshirt last year. Appears to be one of the last players off the bench this year.

By any objective measure, this recruiting class was a disaster. 

• Like 1

All 3 members of the 2016-17 class have already transferred out; ZM, Gorham & JJ Mathews. I’m not laying blame at anyone’s feet, just stating a fact-5 of our 6 recruits in the last 2 recruiting classes (before this year’s class) have transfered, & the 6th is buried deep on the bench.

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

All 3 members of the 2016-17 class have already transferred out; ZM, Gorham & JJ Mathews. I’m not laying blame at anyone’s feet, just stating a fact-5 of our 6 recruits in the last 2 recruiting classes (before this year’s class) have transfered, & the 6th is buried deep on the bench.

All for varying reasons. Some with terrible play , no pt, others having bigger aspirations - martin and gorham - which (quick fantasy time) - could have led us to a tourney with newly added pieces imo. 

Varying reasons, no doubt. Notwithstanding, the ability to build a consistently successful program (by that I mean one which regularly finishes at or near the top of its conference, & occasionally wins the conference tournament & goes dancing) would seem to require retaining more recruits (thus building stability) rather than having to constantly reload.

• Like 1

Expectations have drastically changed in Skerry's 7 years as coach, therefore the acceptable level of recruit has changed as well. JJ and Zane are guys that we all expected to be here for 4 years and are difference makers, I don't know how much we can blame PS for their departure.  The guy has won 58% of his games in the last 6 seasons (excludes the 1-31 debacle).  I would have been thrilled with being over .500 during my tenure at Towson ('02-'09).  In saying that, his job is to continue to get the program better and continuing to raise the bar.  I think he starting to make that next step with this class and hopefully we can keep guys around through graduation with the current roster.  He has 7 years left on this current contract, if a NCAA bid doesn't happen in that stretch I think everyone will be treating him like RA and it is probably justified at that point.  

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

Expectations have drastically changed in Skerry's 7 years as coach, therefore the acceptable level of recruit has changed as well. JJ and Zane are guys that we all expected to be here for 4 years and are difference makers, I don't know how much we can blame PS for their departure.  The guy has won 58% of his games in the last 6 seasons (excludes the 1-31 debacle).  I would have been thrilled with being over .500 during my tenure at Towson ('02-'09).  In saying that, his job is to continue to get the program better and continuing to raise the bar.  I think he starting to make that next step with this class and hopefully we can keep guys around through graduation with the current roster.  He has 7 years left on this current contract, if a NCAA bid doesn't happen in that stretch I think everyone will be treating him like RA and it is probably justified at that point.  

It would be beyond justified at that point.  Pat, even if I don't like/think that the style of play and strategy will work, has done a good job.  The amount of turnover on the roster is concerning. While all are not his fault, coaches talk, and this can have an impact down the line.

TJ, Davis, Eddie & Mike have been the only 4 year players. (McNeil and Thomas this year). While JUCOs are nice, they are band aids and only there for 2 years. 

I’d like us to dig deeper in the Euro talent pool.  Now that being said those kids can transfer too but they tend to be a bit more willing to accept the playing time they get and tend to work hard.   Painting with a broad brush but I’m seeing the trend here in the West Coast Conference and it’s working out.  

Hey why don’t we have an Australian pipeline set up!!!??  Wink.  

More and more of them coming over.  

I hope this class really buys in for Skerry.  

• Like 1