• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB, Fobbs stun UMBC in double OT, 80-76

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Fobbs on the late 3 in 2nd OT

When Jakigh gave me the ball. It was just there. I didn't mean to take the last shot but I just took it. The coaches felt confidence in me.

Brian you can take every last shot for us for the next two years..PLEASE--Every Tiger Fan

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The UMBC arena is nice, though I found it odd that one end doesn’t have seats behind the basket. Also a little distracting that they don’t have a big overhanging scoreboard like us-I constantly found myself looking around for the score & time remaining in the game. I did like that they had a chick-fil-a booth. Getting off the parking lot after the game was a royal pain in the butt though.

Same. Hated how they turned the scoreboards off during UMBC FT's.  Had me looking around for the 1 auxiliary board way up top for the score.

Interesting description of the arena. I am still blown away the only thing we offer at concessions are pretzel, hot dogs and chips. There are more options at my local hs games. 

Good to see us make FTs. Has always been an issue in the past. 

Surprised we pulled this one out. Didn't see it but looks like Fobbs is the real deal. Wouldn't get to caught up in the win though. Long season ahead but nice to win one.

13 hours ago, sr16 said:

Cannot say enough about those free throws. THANK YOU SKERRY if you end up reading this. 

Good win for Towson.  As I told Mat, imediately afterward, they needed this win badly. 

It Was enjoyable game to watch.   Especially the Later stages of the 2nd half and the OT's.  

The very first coach I covered Ralph Undethill at Wright State always said.  "Free Throw shooting doesn't win every game, just all the close ones"

That has held true for over 30 years.   

On the arena.  The open end is meant for concert staging and has the loading dock right behind those curtains for easy access for trucks and trailers.   It has been discussed putting temporary seating there for the band should they start filling the student section fully and regularly.  

One of the best games I’ve attended in a long time. If we can defend the three and pick n rolls better we are going to perform much better on D. Fobbs is as advertised and I still feel he plays within the system and doesn’t try to do too much. I like Solomon’s potential and his floor leadership, if he gets one good summer in he could do numbers for us. We need scorers because we were really lost at times and missed free throws kept us in the game. Where the hell is UMBC getting these recruits?

9 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

One of the best games I’ve attended in a long time. If we can defend the three and pick n rolls better we are going to perform much better on D. Fobbs is as advertised and I still feel he plays within the system and doesn’t try to do too much. I like Solomon’s potential and his floor leadership, if he gets one good summer in he could do numbers for us. We need scorers because we were really lost at times and missed free throws kept us in the game. Where the hell is UMBC getting these recruits?

The guy I wish we had was their point guard, junior K.J. Jackson, who is quicker than quick. But he's a rare UMBC juco from Temple College in Texas. He's not a very good shooter but our point guards couldn't stay in front of him. The other guy I really like is junior Arkel Lamore (6-6, 235), kind of pudgy but can really shoot the 3. Went to St. Thomas More Prep in Ct. They have a couple of tall, skinny white guys that are athletic like Nick Horvath (6-10, 200) who had that dunk but tech on the stare down. He's averaging 11pg and 5.9rpg. Just a sophomore and I think if he played with us, he'd be 220 with our weight program.

I like their team. They lack some bulk up front but they move the ball around well. Grad student Joe Sherburne (14ppt) is a lights-out shooter and I think we did a pretty good job on him. They do miss Lyles, who was a great guard. I'd give Vermont the edge but UMBC should be in the top 3-4 in the AEast this year.

8 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I'd give Vermont the edge but UMBC should be in the top 3-4 in the AEast this year.

Stony Brook and their band of youngins will put up a fight.  VT Stony Brook, drop off............... UMBC, Albany....Oblivion