• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Offense was offensive

I get it, the object is to win. And I don't expect us to score 45 points a game. Having said that, 102 yards of total offense, 17 yards rushing & 3 INT's, against a bottom feeder MEAC team, is pitiful.

Our longest run by an RB was what, 7 yards? Why was the run game abandoned for much of the game? Is Morgan's D the FCS version of the 2000 Ravens D? Why was the O-Line pass & run blocking so woeful? Why is the play calling so vanilla? Is it a lack of talent, poor coaching? A combo of the 2?

Perhaps it's too soon to push the panic button, but next week vs MD has all the makings of a 56-0 type loss. If this is indicative of the O this year, I'm hard pressed to see more than 2-3 wins. I feel like I've been sold a bill of goods by a snake oil salesman 

Next week could and should be ugly, even if we put up 30 points tonight. However, the offense starts with the coordinator and ends with the quarterback. If those two parts are not performing, we are in trouble. We were going up against a stacked box all night and we couldn't take advantage of them in man coverage. RA pointed to the fact that they were tackling our receivers and sometimes they got away with it but I can't buy that. Running more would be nice but I'm not sure it would have worked. Our line struggled all night but you are still are blocking 5 on 8 and need help from the FB/TE if they are in.

I also think we should have gone to the hurry-up. It seemed to work at the end of the first half in a two-minute drill. Why not try it in the second half?

I hope there isn't a lack of talent but maybe at WR, we will miss Summers and Dessenburg early on because we don't have a #1 receiver. We basically have a few No. 2s and a lot of unknowns.

But I also think that we can't take too much out of this game on offense with so many new parts. On the line, we have three new starters and one in Antonio Harris who is moving from left guard to left tackle. We have six or seven brand new receivers.

15 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

Rob was not happy with his brother last night. Throwing the ball with 2:30 left in the game up 10-0 earned a "You've gotta be f***ing kidding me"

And Leatherbury got laid out in the flat on that play. Thought he got injured for a second. 

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

Rob was not happy with his brother last night. Throwing the ball with 2:30 left in the game up 10-0 earned a "You've gotta be f***ing kidding me"

Jammer needs to go. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the last "real" possession made zero sense. Throwing the ball with a r-freshman quarterback up 10-0 with under 3 minutes left. Just go three-and-out with three straight runs and make them call their timeouts. Throwing to Leatherbury, a primary deep threat who might be 180 pounds, a swing pass was absurd. Brent Richardson would have made more sense but he seemed to running deeper routes most of the night. He's more of a possession receiver. Nothing made sense last night on offense.

The first post says "I get it. The object is to wn". Then that individual goes on to complain about how they won. Complaints about specific plays and players. The game is a total combination and in the end.......The Tigers did what they wanted to do.....they won. 

If you all knew as much as you think you know, you would be a D1 Head Coach. .....and you are not

Next week might be a different story. Stop whining and take the win!

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

The first post says "I get it. The object is to wn". Then that individual goes on to complain about how they won. Complaints about specific plays and players. The game is a total combination and in the end.......The Tigers did what they wanted to do.....they won. 

If you all knew as much as you think you know, you would be a D1 Head Coach. .....and you are not

Next week might be a different story. Stop whining and take the win!

Well if there was no whining, there would be no message boards. I'm the one usually defending the staff, but I just can't after Saturday night. When your own coach says you "stunk" on offense after posting 102 total yards against one of the worst MEAC teams, you know you have a lot of work to do. If Alabama beat Fresno State next week by 10 points on 200 yards of offense, do you think their fans would be happy?

Play better against Maryland, compete with them, put up 300+ yards of offense and the fans will be a lot happier when they lose because they are looking ahead to the CAA.

To Tgr4life, I might not be a D1 HC, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

So the record is clear, I posted no complaints about any specific players. Indeed, an unbiased reading of my post reveals my dissatisfaction to have been with the coaching staff (which I stand by).

You're entitled to your opinion & I'm entitled to mine. If that putrid offensive performance the other night didn't set off alarm bells for you, so be it. As for me, as an alum, a season ticket holder & a donor to the athletic department, I've earned the right to point out my concerns with the product that was put out on the offensive side of the ball the other night. Personally I would love nothing better than to eat a heaping helping of crow going forward. We shall see.

I agree that they played poorly. That does not mean the decisions that were made were bad decisions......just poorly executed. There is a reason for decisions. If they did not work, they just were executed poorly. 

To say the decisions made no sense...that's is only to you. To the coach, they made perfect sense. Just need to practice so they work better