• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to JMU, 74-73 on last-second shot by Lewis (story up)

Curious as to what Skerry's complaint was about the table.

I couldn't watch any of the game thanks to work purposes.  At one point, I see up 4 with 2:30 left and then I'm in the car and we've lost.  The words out of my mouth were, 'fitting way to end this season'.  There's a lot to be said about lack of skill level when it comes to this edition of Towson basketball.  But you don't lose this many close games unless you're missing something and that's basketball smarts.  I've harped on it numerous times throughout the season but a number of players on this team were not very basketball smart this season.  One improvement that will be desperately needed for next season is someone, whether it's a returner or a newbie, to step up and be a vocal leader on the court to calm the ship when it starts listing.  I didn't see any of that on this year's team.  You can only coach so much from the sideline.  It's up to the players on the floor to take control of things both physically and mentally in order to win close games and this year, we didn't have it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw 1st few minutes of the game and knew it would be close. Saw score where we up like 8 with 7 minutes remaining and knew we would probably lose. Nothing more to say than what I've been saying for years now. Skerry ball lives on....

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t watch the game. At one point, I did check the score online; we were up 62-54, at which point I said, “we lost.” Isn’t that sad, that I was right? 

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Curious as to what Skerry's complaint was about the table.

We were up 62-54 when Howard hit a three. The scorer's table gave the three to JMU, so the score read 62-57 instead of 65-54 (our biggest lead). For the next few minutes, the scoreboard remained not just uncorrected, but added to when Madison made a basket (62-59). I'm not sure at what point things got straightened out, but it made a shrinking lead seem like it had all but disappeared.

1 hour ago, Chris Datres said:

There's a lot to be said about lack of skill level when it comes to this edition of Towson basketball.  But you don't lose this many close games unless you're missing something and that's basketball smarts.  I've harped on it numerous times throughout the season but a number of players on this team were not very basketball smart this season.  One improvement that will be desperately needed for next season is someone, whether it's a returner or a newbie, to step up and be a vocal leader on the court to calm the ship when it starts listing.  I didn't see any of that on this year's team.  You can only coach so much from the sideline.  It's up to the players on the floor to take control of things both physically and mentally in order to win close games and this year, we didn't have it.

And this is why I think you try to grab a grad transfer if one is out there.  Not saying he has to play starter minutes.  

Just a guy who has high basketball IQ and can lead by example for the younger guys and contribute consistently.  

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

And this is why I think you try to grab a grad transfer if one is out there.  Not saying he has to play starter minutes.  

Just a guy who has high basketball IQ and can lead by example for the younger guys and contribute consistently.  

I think if you add a grad transfer, which we have done just twice to mixed results (Garvilovic from Dayton, Dixon from Providence), they need to start. I think that's something you have to get lucky with. Right now, we are in on at least a handful of point guards if not more as high school seniors. I'm sure we're looking at jucos. But juco point guards have not worked out (Ivory, Starr, Howard). Well, freshman point guards haven't really worked out either. Maybe we need Euro point guards. I don't know, just find somebody from Mars if they can play point guard.

To me, it's difficult to get a grad transfer to move down say from a P6 school that maybe is getting little playing time than a guy like Riller moving on up to a P6, assuming he graduates in four years. Finding one that may be from Baltimore and wants to get playing time. You have to find the right situation and it's not easy. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe the University of Mars has a grad transfer PG we could use 

Don’t forget Starr in the litany of JUCO PG’s who weren’t the answer 

19 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Maybe the University of Mars has a grad transfer PG we could use 

Don’t forget Starr in the litany of JUCO PG’s who weren’t the answer 

I forgot Starr because he was better than Ivory, and Starr wasn't very good. Yes, if PS is reading this, please stay away from juco point guards. Not even one that played briefly in D1 like Howard and Ivory.

100% agree. A JUCO PG will be a major disappointment. It would mean we couldn’t close the deal on even one of the many HS PG’s we’ve offered & would likely continue our history of subpar PG play

9 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

100% agree. A JUCO PG will be a major disappointment. It would mean we couldn’t close the deal on even one of the many HS PG’s we’ve offered & would likely continue our history of subpar PG play

I don't know what that means, but PS said he was close on a player or two in his last presser. I'd have to get the exact quotes. Maybe I didn't post it for some reason.