• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TSU88

9 years of out of conference games

It appears a number of CAA teams have hosted marquee teams. Since SECU opened, is Temple the biggest program we’ve hosted? 

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

It appears a number of CAA teams have hosted marquee teams. Since SECU opened, is Temple the biggest program we’ve hosted? 

There has to be some accountability on the Terps here as well. Those cowards won't come up and play us.  It would be nice if they had the guts to come up, fill SECU and try to build a nice rivalry.  There is no reason for them to avoid a home and home with us.

Same goes for Georgetown. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

We had ODU, Mason and Vermont. All solid MM programs but not a "Big Name."  Wouldn't mind doing a 2 for 1 with VCU

1 minute ago, griggey20 said:

There has to be some accountability on the Terps here as well. Those cowards won't come up and play us.  It would be nice if they had the guts to come up, fill SECU and try to build a nice rivalry.  There is no reason for them to avoid a home and home with us.

This.

This is an interesting conversation overall for Towson basketball. As much as I love this program, our lack of a conference championship since 1991 combined with a shortage of signature wins does make us uniquely woeful as a D-1 program. The one victory no one talked about here was the win over St. John's in the Preseason NIT in 1993 (I know it was not at home, but it was my first experience as a college student rooting for Towson). The West Virginia buzzer-beater on the road (the same year we beat Louisville) was fun too (but again not at home), although they were not very good at the time.

I do have to give Skerry credit for one thing. This year's schedule is actually a pretty good one. We have criticized him in the past for the schedule, but the combination of high profile games (Florida, Xavier) decent to high RPI mid-major opponents (Buffalo (who just beat an undefeated DePaul team), Kent State, Vermont, and Liberty) and some winnable games (GW, Morgan State and hopefully UMBC (who were are favored by 9.5). 

I don't think the science of getting good teams to play you at home is as clear as some make it out to be. I think it is usually a combination of luck, previous connections, circumstance, recruiting or desire to have a player play at home and sometimes open dates. It always seemed to me that Pittsburgh or TCU with Skerry's connections might be good targets to bring to Towson, but I don't know how much he has stayed in contact with Jamie Dixon or Pittsburgh. I would be happy if we could get Maryland to play us at the Baltimore Arena again for a couple of trips there, but I think that ship has sailed. 

12 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Indeed. I commented on this a while back. Makes no sense since we have a relatively new arena.

The best chance to get a big name into SECU was when it opened.  Who did we play in the first game?  Navy.  Thank the midshipman for being the future protectors of our country but not the headliner to open up a new building. 

27 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

The best chance to get a big name into SECU was when it opened.  Who did we play in the first game?  Navy.  Thank the midshipman for being the future protectors of our country but not the headliner to open up a new building. 

We were 5-59 combined prior to the 18-13 season before it opened. Getting anyone big would have been difficult, especially with the whiny turtles down in PG county.  UNC helped Elon open their arena. UVA is helping JMU open theirs next season. South Carolina opened Charlestons new arena. 

I remember the SECU opener against Navy was pretty well attended by both the Tigers and Midshipman in uniform. That’s a cool game with the military crew from Annapolis in attendance, I would support scheduling Naval Academy over Coppin State. I wish the Maryland Terps would play us every year, would be good for recruiting. We should really host a high school “battle for baltimore” tournament with all the top area teams...Mount St Joe’s, Oakland Mills, Lake Clifton, St Frances Academy, Gilman, John Carrol, Patterson. Get all the best local talent and their families in the building.

5 hours ago, griggey20 said:

Why would the Twerps or GTown have any interest in helping an area school?  They’re not falling over themselves to go to Mason, GW, or American either.  It’s all in the coach’s scheduling philosophy.  Roy isn’t afraid.  Bobby Hurley isn’t afraid.  Turgeon and Ewing seem like they have the old-school mentality of only playing a road game if the conference schedules it or it’s part of some ‘challenge’.