• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Canada Thread

The boys are 5-0 undefeated international champions. Conquered the great white north. Judging by some of the scores it appears we were playing against the little sisters of the poor, but all in all a positive trip. Glad lots of guys played and got some game experience. That will go a long way as far as their confidence scoring in a real D1 game. 

intrigued by the new Coppin guard. Could be an instant replacement for Conway, transfer portal is wild. You can essentially Amazon prime a guy for whatever position whatever sport you need and he’ll be on campus in two days!

23 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

When I was attending Towson State we had a club hockey team that was very good and those guys really knew how have some fun parties.  This whole Canada trip was great for our freshman.  2012 we need to start looking at flights soon… this could be the year!!!??  I’m buying. 

Bahaha.  Charleston and uncw still in our league?  Skerry still the coach?  If yes, then no it will not be the year 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Keep dreaming 

C’mon man. Everybody is 0-0 right now. No harm in dreaming big. Will it happen, well, we all know about history., but sometimes past performance is not indicative of future results 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

C’mon man. Everybody is 0-0 right now. No harm in dreaming big. Will it happen, well, we all know about history., but sometimes past performance is not indicative of future results 

You mean we aren’t 5-0😉

I have a better feeling about this team now than 2 months ago. We should compete in the upper tier this year. But unfortunately  your last statement is true

49 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

You mean we aren’t 5-0😉

I have a better feeling about this team now than 2 months ago. We should compete in the upper tier this year. But unfortunately  your last statement is true

We’ve got some pieces. Many unanswered questions, like 3-point shooting proficiency, bench play, what, if any, meaningful contributions will we get from our freshman, the injury X factor….So let’s not hoist any banners just yet, but also let’s not throw in the towel and write the season off just yet either 

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

We’ve got some pieces. Many unanswered questions, like 3-point shooting proficiency, bench play, what, if any, meaningful contributions will we get from our freshman, the injury X factor….So let’s not hoist any banners just yet, but also let’s not throw in the towel and write the season off just yet either 

Yeah, that is about where I stand right now. I refuse to give into year over year negativity now that we have actually developed some standard of quality the last two years (I hope it can carry over now that the transfer portal lets you do that more easily). However, there will always be questions about how this coaching staff does against high-mid and top level teams until they beat one and of course the elephant in the room that is tournament performance. Also, Kelsey's Charleston program officially arrived last year and they will be hard to knock off the perch for anyone.

Even with the same coach, every year has some new players for our roster, different players on the other teams and a number of questions marks that remain to be answered. This roster looks to have some pretty good upside, but several glaring questions three-point/outside shooting and how all of these different parts will mesh together. Skerry seems to be getting better at this, but I will say the stretch at the end of non-conference last year was absolutely brutal. Hopefully, this team won't go through that. 

I also think we all need a chance to take our breath with all of the crazy transfer portal movement, and take stock of what the other teams have done in our conference. Just by quick recollection, it seems like Charleston of course did really well in the transfer portal and that Delaware and UNC-W seemed to have solid transfer portal returns. I do have to say Jones feels like one of the top 5 transfers in the conference, and Watson could be top 10 (Tarke could be on outskirts of that list too). I am even somewhat intrigued with what Sulaiman could be. I think it is good transfer haul, although I don't like that we had to steal three of the four away from their initial commitments (but I guess that is current landscape). Unfortunately, it probably lacks some shooting (and possibly playmaking that Holden gave us). This will be a talented and athletic team, but it will probably need to evolve as the season goes along in many ways, and as many have pointed out some of the freshmen contributions will likely be key to just how good this team is this year. Hopefully that is where the Canada trip helps give us a headstart, although a lot of teams seemed like they were more to the level of the D-3 team we play this year then some of our other opponents.