• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Football stuns No. 13 W&M 34-24

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/10/21/towson-football-scores-34-second-half-points-for-comeback-win-at-no-13-w-m.aspx

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=473739

Towson scored 31 points in the second half and came back from a 17-0 deficit in the first quarter to shock William & Mary 34-24 on Saturday afternoon in front over 13,000 on Homecoming at Zable Field in Williamsburg, Va.

Is Carter Runyon the best receiving tight end this program has ever had? I thought that might be Chris Clark, but he couldn't stay on the field. Runyon is 6-6, 240 and has at least one more year left. That 53-yard catch and run for a TD from Nathan Kent with 1:55 left sealed the game. Give Brian Sheppard credit for the call. He could have just given the ball to Devin Matthews for a third straight time. It was nice to see this coaching staff take a chance and they went back to Runyon, who on the first drive, dropped an easy pass from Kent for what would have been a first down.

I still don't like the game-management at the end of the first half when Towson was driving down the field with under 2:00 left and they kept running the ball up the middle with one timeout.

However, give this staff a lot of credit for adjusting in the second half. The defense was on the field for over 20 minutes in the first half. In the second half, the offense took the ball and drove it down the field in over 11 minutes. A fake punt and run by Josh Cupitt helped. It was the first fake punt by this staff and it was much-needed. They also got a fumble after scoring their first TD and that was huge for the Tigers and the momentum.

No doubt, the Tribe hurt themselves with 8 penalties for 91 yards (we had 10 but no dead ball personal fouls). Both teams were missing their top RBs. D'Ago Hunter (leg) is probably out for the season. They miss him on returns and his dynamic open field ability. But Devin Matthews was outstanding today with 117 yards on 20 carries and at least they let Christopher Watkins carry the ball. He had 9 carries for 44 yards and as I've said in the past, love those guys who can make people miss.

Nathan Kent was solid at 19 of 28 for 188 yards and 2 TDs with no picks and 38 rushing yards. Solid game-manager type of performance tonight. He's not Patrick Mahomes and probably isn't even Connor Frazier (who was faster), but if he limits the turnovers, makes the right read as a runner and doesn't take too many bad sacks, he can win games. O-line was terrific again today. Not great two weeks ago against Albany, because we couldn't run the ball. But they pass blocked well in that game and against another great D today. Yes, that was one of the top defenses in FCS and we put up 396 total yards. On to Delaware.

• Like 2

Huge win for Towson, a big response after last game's loss against Albany. Still have to figure out how to win at home, but the team has some really good momentum with two wins in its last three games against top-15 teams. 

Going to need all the momentum they can get ahead of rival #7 Delaware next weekend.

• Like 3

I'll say this. This is a different team that lost to Monmouth and Norfolk State. Two weeks ago, they lost to a good team. Got too predictable when they got down inside the 5 and lost the game. 

A few thoughts:

1)Runyon was not on the field much earlier in the season. You saw his potential against Maryland and now he's one of the best receiving TEs in the CAA.

2)Running the football. They couldn't run the ball against Albany, averaging around 2.4ypc. They ran for over 200 yards against the Tribe, averaging 4.7ypc. It starts up front. When healthy, that line is pretty darn good. They pass blocked well two weeks ago, but there weren't many holes in the running game There were plenty today and allows the play-action to work some and Kent was sharp with his layups. His long throws need work and I get the coverage was strong. I didn't get that long pass to Perkins at the end of the first half with 7 seconds left. Even if he catches it, time will probably run out as they try and set up a FG. No D'Ago Hunter and DK James means they lose two dynamic playmakers, but Watkins has a chance to give them some of that elusiveness. Hopefully, James returns next week, but not coming back after the bye week is not a good sign.

3)Defensive adjustments. Dulin did it again and they were short handed with OLB Makye Smith off the team. I thought his gameplan in the second half was brilliant a lot of zone in the middle, but they weren't rushing three when they were in passing situations and up 3 or up 10. Thought Mason Woods possibly played his best game of the season with six tackles and Rodney Roane had two sacks. Even though they had 10 penalties, most were hold of illegal motion on the line (Runyon got the one hold). No dead ball penalties unlike W&M. Yes, when you get rid of a player due to too many 15-yard penalties, it sends a warning sign.

4)Take action on penalties. I thought they missed Makye Smith (no longer on the team) in the first half as an Edge setter but they adjusted in the second half. They do not have the personnel on D that W&M does. The fact that they held the Tribe to a meaningless late TD in the second half was a great sign of how well the D played. For the most part in the first half, they just couldn't get off the field and didn't even a force a punt. The best thing they did was hold the Tribe to a FG attempt late in the half and they missed. W&M never recovered.

• Thanks 1

Extraordinary. We were getting clowned at the beginning of the game, and looked every bit the part of their homecoming patsy, until we weren’t. 

The 11 minute TD drive to start the 2nd half changed everything. But, IMHO, their fumbling the ensuing kickoff was the real momentum shifter. After that, Bill & Mary did zip on offense, save the garbage TD at the end. 

Really nice job running the ball, so kudos to the RB’s & the O-line, which kept Kent upright for the most part. Gotta love how the D played in the 2nd half, and a big assist to W&M, for frequently committing the dead from the neck up penalties we usually do. 

Kent isn’t the long term solution, but you can’t argue with his performance today. No INT’s & he made several plays with his legs.  Meanwhile, Runyan has turned into the steal of the off-season & the go-to receiver. Our Travis Kelce, sans Kelce’s annoying lady love.

I still find some of the Uber conservative play calling on offense maddening, but hey, if it results in outcomes like today, I’ll come to the dark side gladly. 

Edited by TSU88
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Frisco or bust!! #footballschool

C’mon man, that’s weak. We just went on the road, against a ranked team, in front of the largest crowd in their history, spotted them a 17-point lead, and then ripped their hearts out with a stunning 34-0 run, and this snarky response is the best you can do? Would have been better if you just exercised your right to remain silent 🤫 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

C’mon man, that’s weak. We just went on the road, against a ranked team, in front of the largest crowd in their history, spotted them a 17-point lead, and then ripped their hearts out with a stunning 34-0 run, and this snarky response is the best you can do? Would have been better if you just exercised your right to remain silent 🤫 

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 1