• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

May, Sulaiman lead MBB over UMBC 89-73

BTW, I don't apologize for beating the teams that we should beat, whether it's local or not. If this was the same team over the last last two seasons, it would be a yawner and I think those teams cruised through some of those games (LIU for example). In some of the cases, we just got by. This is a young team that is legitimately playing three freshmen, not even including Jaiden Cole's  2-3 minutes per night. We were super outclassed by Houston (No. 1 KenPom) and would have been had we been at full strength. Now, I'd rather see us play the UMBC's and the Morgan's of the world to get our guys some confidence though it was UMass that helped May get going. Bryant is going to be another story on Saturday from Elmont, NY. Bryant beat then No. 10 FAU on the road, but has a couple of shaky losses. 

5 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

BTW, I don't apologize for beating the teams that we should beat, whether it's local or not

Yeah, I don’t get grousing about beating Morgan, Coppin and UMBC. It makes perfect sense to play those schools. I mean, with Coppin and UMBC this year, it’s 2 no cost “road games.” Frankly, we ought to play Loyola too, unless they’re afraid to get their Patriot League asses whipped. 

So why bitch about beating up on these teams? Not every game can be vs Houston, CU, NTSU, WF or SDSU. You can’t win with some folks. If we beat the locals, it’s “well, they stink.” If we were to lose to the locals it would be “the sky is falling.” 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If we wanted these games to truly be no cost we should have our guys run down Charles street to play Loyola, no bus needed. Just run there on foot and whoop their ass!

• Haha 1

Great win today in front of a great crowd. There only appears to be one person here who thinks local teams playing each other is bad. I think it’s great for the brand, Baltimore basketball, and we are the best college basketball team in the area! Grow it til we get good enough to beat Maryland

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Yeah, I don’t get grousing about beating Morgan, Coppin and UMBC. It makes perfect sense to play those schools. I mean, with Coppin and UMBC this year, it’s 2 no cost “road games.” Frankly, we ought to play Loyola too, unless they’re afraid to get their Patriot League asses whipped. 

So why bitch about beating up on these teams? Not every game can be vs Houston, CU, NTSU, WF or SDSU. You can’t win with some folks. If we beat the locals, it’s “well, they stink.” If we were to lose to the locals it would be “the sky is falling.” 

Because there are some that don't understand basketball no matter how long they've been there.  Want to play a buy-in schedule like Coppin or Morgan does and get your brains beat in by 30 every night?  Then you'll whine about not having any home games.  This schedule has been the perfect mix for the type of team that we're fielding this season.  With Tarke coming back and May awakening, it sets up for the next 2 games to be a very enlightening preview for conference season.

And Loyola is scared.  Pat's talked about wanting to schedule them but apparently, they're too good for us there.  But they'll happily bring in the Mount to smack them today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crowd of over 2,500 at UMBC. Also helps to get games on Saturday afternoon when there is no NFL or huge college football games on. Basically only game in town. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Playing these same teams every year is; boring, brings little value (unless they are competitive and well), and cheap. I’m not originally from the area so I don’t care for the “allure”. This isn’t the big 5 nor will it be. There’s no big team that makes it fun.  
Crowds don’t show anymore than a regular game. 

I don’t want nor ever condoned a swac or meac level schedule where we whore ourselves out.  Playing a top 25 away is a good experience and 1 is more than enough. But doesn’t tell you much about your team. Neither does the non d1s that we and our league loves so much (they don’t count). I feel the same way about the locals. We need games that help us. Challenges; umass. Robert morris (typically). A 10 schools. Some maacs. Vermont. These teams are more what the caa is than Morgan Coppin etc. one or two is fine (again it saves money and easy for me to attend). But let’s try and get the better locals on the schedule. 

And to some early 90s folk (don’t worry may not you), who is obsessed with Delaware, wants to call me out, yes I have basketball, college basketball and Towson knowledge.  Being a ref gives you a self inflated view point for sure!

I know scheduling is tough and it’s a two way street, but other teams do it, we just don’t.  Inflate the record off of these games (that don’t count according to some here, or whatever the narrative we are tying to push that day). We wonder why we have no signature wins, when you play 6 games a year against Coppin Morgan Loyola goucher and umbc, doesn’t leave many others. Maybe your beloved penn state, would be brave enough to schedule us?! 😀 

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

Great win today in front of a great crowd. There only appears to be one person here who thinks local teams playing each other is bad. I think it’s great for the brand, Baltimore basketball, and we are the best college basketball team in the area! Grow it til we get good enough to beat Maryland

see above 

On 12/9/2023 at 6:04 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

Playing these same teams every year is; boring, brings little value (unless they are competitive and well), and cheap. I’m not originally from the area so I don’t care for the “allure”. This isn’t the big 5 nor will it be. There’s no big team that makes it fun.  
Crowds don’t show anymore than a regular game. 

I don’t want nor ever condoned a swac or meac level schedule where we whore ourselves out.  Playing a top 25 away is a good experience and 1 is more than enough. But doesn’t tell you much about your team. Neither does the non d1s that we and our league loves so much (they don’t count). I feel the same way about the locals. We need games that help us. Challenges; umass. Robert morris (typically). A 10 schools. Some maacs. Vermont. These teams are more what the caa is than Morgan Coppin etc. one or two is fine (again it saves money and easy for me to attend). But let’s try and get the better locals on the schedule. 

And to some early 90s folk (don’t worry may not you), who is obsessed with Delaware, wants to call me out, yes I have basketball, college basketball and Towson knowledge.  Being a ref gives you a self inflated view point for sure!

I know scheduling is tough and it’s a two way street, but other teams do it, we just don’t.  Inflate the record off of these games (that don’t count according to some here, or whatever the narrative we are tying to push that day). We wonder why we have no signature wins, when you play 6 games a year against Coppin Morgan Loyola goucher and umbc, doesn’t leave many others. Maybe your beloved penn state, would be brave enough to schedule us?! 😀 

Scheduling is fine, we just don't ever beat any of the top teams we schedule. That is an issue that frustrates all of us.

Would be nice to get a 2 or 3-1 to bring a top team to SECU where we play better, but I don't think those opportunities are all that plentiful. If we beat Wake Forest (which was very possible) and South Dakota State (which wasn't very close to happening) we would have been a good shape.

No problem playing the locals, although I wish we only played one of the two out of Morgan State and Coppin State. We should play Loyola (I know there are issues) or Navy, and UMBC every year.

Obviously, it would also be nice to play the Terps every year, but they don't want to do that for a number of valid reasons.

We have plenty of opportunities to play good teams. This year's schedule playing Colorado, the Charleston Tournament, South Dakota State and Bryant is more than enough quality, although those two mid-major teams aren't very high in RPI or NET this year.

I like the equation of playing a top 50 NET team (Colorado this year), mixed with a tournament (Charleston), one or two shots at playing other good mid-majors (SDSU & Bryant), and 2-3 local teams. It is difficult to enhance the schedule much more. Obviously, we all hate the stupid waste of time that is the Acadia game.