• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tejada leads MBB over Monmouth 80-61

10 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

16-11 winning season! Throw the damn parade! Give the life time extension!
 In all seriousness good game especially by our role players.  Tejada was great offensively. And lowery did a number on rice.  Love a game when 24 doesn’t shoot and think he’s lebron james. Also messiah was great offensively atleast, when he actually payed 
too bad we hacked up a game Saturday or the games against Charleston and uncw could have been interesting. 

“Throw the parade…./ give the ext “ …

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

17-11. Notwithstanding the Hampton fiasco, we’re still in play for a top 4 finish. Not sure why you say the games against C of C & UNCW won’t be interesting in that regard. I’m not willing to bet the mortgage we beat C of C Saturday, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility either. 

stony brook Drexel and Delaware will all like cross each other out since they all play each other.  Likely have 1 to be a top 4 candidate. 
Charleston is one win away from locking one up. Uncw needs 1 probably 2 and has a tough finish. As does Hofstra.  But Hofstra has the tiebreaker over us as would uncw with a win. It’s all lot right now and will be clearer on Sunday morning. But watch out for Monmouth to sneak in…

I was saying if we had beaten Hampton, we would be 11-4 going into a huge game tomorrow.  It’s still important but losses some of the luster being 2 back with 3 to play. 

and no *s next to wins. 16-11 is 16-11 and secures a winning season

8 hours ago, TTiger2024 said:

“Throw the parade…./ give the ext “ …

There he is! Mr. only after a win.  Hope to see you post 5-6 more times this year!

So getting back on topic, I'd like to add one other late-season idea. 

Tejada needs to touch the ball nearly every possession and they need to run the offense through him. He's a freshman, but he's the most talented offensive player we have. Nobody else can post up, shoot the three (35.4%), put the ball on the floor and make FTs (82.3%) as well as him on this team. He had 8 points total against W&M/Hampton and then 29 against Elon/Delaware at home. He has had just two back-to-back double-digit games since non-conference play in December. But he's also played just 18 minutes per game over his last eight games. Does he have turnover problems occasionally? Yes. He had three awful ones against Hampton. Does he struggle on defense against smaller, quicker guards? Of course. He's 6-8, 220. But he needs to play close to 25mpg down the stretch assuming he's not crushing the team on defense. As he said after the game last night he was, to paraphrase, in his own head. That he was maybe thinking too much and being tentative on offense. He's a scorer. Not saying never pass the ball, but if he takes advantage of smaller opponents with his size and length. He might draw more attention and allow others to thrive.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Tejada needs to touch the ball nearly every possession and they need to run the offense through him

Good suggestion, given the shooting struggles of May and Tarke. DWill runs hot and cold and CT is avg what, 8-9ppg? On a good night, Jones and Sulaiman might combine for say 15 points and Lowery, while a terror on D, isn’t at the point where he’s going to be a consistent threat on offense (though hopefully he works arduously in the offseason to develop a jump shot. If so, the sky’s the limit for him). 

Given these inherent limitations on offense, you have to overlook occasional defensive mistakes in the hope that he’ll make up for it on the offensive end 

39 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Who would be a good defensive matchup for him vs Charleston?

Not sure there is one. Burnham (6-7, 220) is more physical but that's probably the best matchup. Policelli is more finesse but he can hopefully stay with him, but my guess is he guards Burnham and may guard Kobe Rodgers, who is a stud. I assume SulaiJones will defend Policelli, who is 6-9, 225. Burnham had 13 points on 5-of-14 shooting against us. I assume May saw action on him as well. Rayne Smith is somebody he'd have to chase around the perimeter and through screens.

That's a pretty big frontcourt at 6-10, 6-9, 6-7. We're at 6-8, 6-7, 6-5ish. When Jones and Tejada walked out of the press room last night, Tyler did not look two inches taller than Messiah. Seemed more like 3-4, which means Jones is more like 6-5 and Tejada may be closer to 6-9. Another reason I see him as a 4 in the future or maybe a bulked up Lowery plays there.

I’d be hesitant about SulaiJones on Policelli because of his penchant to hang around the perimeter and shoot 3s.  Those two guys don’t seem quick enough to get out on a shooter.  Long enough, yes, but can they anticipate it like they should?  Almost think Tejada on Policelli might be a better option than on Burnham cuz Burnham can out-physical him.  As much as we showed it last nite, I don’t know if we can try a high-octane game again vs CoC but if we keep them below 65, I like our chances.