• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

North Carolina A&T Preview

10 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I know I'm going to be ostracized for defending PS, but I don't give a f-ck. Yes, the 18-win season or whatever isn't a big deal anymore. Neither is 20 wins. Beating Drexel, UNCW at home and Charleston on the road doesn't count apparently. Those are good wins. Delaware on the road. Not bad. And yes, the Hampton loss was beyond terrible, I'm not into the regular season doesn't count bullshit. It does. Seedings and double-byes matter in this league. Tournament performances have been bad. No defense for that other than the first Benimon season because they were ineligible. Who knows what the team could have accomplished? After that, it's been one or two and done as has been mentioned 8 million times.

The offense has been atrocious this season and the player they missed the most was Holden, because he ran the offense and helped Timberlake get good looks. Is that on the coach and his staff that the offense has been so stagnant this season? I criticize the offense basically in every loss so of course I think it is. Next off-season, something needs to change and I say it every season. It starts with pace, but when you watch the great ball movement of Charleston, the ball never sticks. I don't care how good your defense is, when you move the ball that quickly and that well, you can beat a good or average defense. 

Every coach in the CAA gets criticized. It's part of the job. The UNCW fans after the Campbell game were not thrilled. Siddle should win Saturday against us, but he's 1-5 against Trowson.

My biggest problem is when I watch the CAA this season and last and see a player I'd love to have in a Towson uniform: Trazerian White, Shakeim Phillips, Tyler Thomas, Jameer Nelson Jr., Darlinstone Dubar, Aaron Estrada, Kobe Rodgers, Justin Moore, etc. It's a guard league and a wings league. Can Tejada, Lowery, Williamson or Cole become one of those guys? I'm not seeing it, but I can see one or two of those guys becoming very productive players in the future. We just need that freakin' star and we probably can't get that guy in the portal due to our NIL situation. So we have to develop it. Staff change? Recruiting more shooters? Recruiting less bullies and more athletic and lengthy players in the portal as well?

If you told me during the summer after the legal situation with Conway and the ACL injury to Watson, they'd we'd have a longshot of getting a top four seed in the final weekend, I'd probably be ecstatic, not thinking that we'd lose to Hampton on the road and beat Charleston on the road in the same season. Not trying to make this season half-full, but also trying to put things in perspective. 

No one said those wins don’t count. But there have been more bad losses than good wins.  The uncw and Charleston wins were probably 2 of the 5 best in skerrys tenure. That just goes to show how few there have been.  

We all would love for a player like that to come here but guess what, they will likely end up middling around 12-13 ppg and not be as good.  I’ve been clamoring for guards since he got here. Guard play is how you win this league. Why is Hofstra always near the top? Fantastic guard play. We need to recruit those northern nj and nyc kids. 

besides Charleston are other schools NIL better than ours? Seriously, it’s year 2 of this and we are using this a reason that we can’t get players…

Conways legal situation lead to tarke so again that’s a wash, not like we lost our best player and couldn’t replace him. We were very fortunate to have a quick replacement. Again, another excuse 

56 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I know I'm going to be ostracized for defending PS, but I don't give a f-ck. Yes, the 18-win season or whatever isn't a big deal anymore. Neither is 20 wins. Beating Drexel, UNCW at home and Charleston on the road doesn't count apparently. Those are good wins. Delaware on the road. Not bad. And yes, the Hampton loss was beyond terrible, I'm not into the regular season doesn't count bullshit. It does. Seedings and double-byes matter in this league. Tournament performances have been bad. No defense for that other than the first Benimon season because they were ineligible. Who knows what the team could have accomplished? After that, it's been one or two and done as has been mentioned 8 million times.

The offense has been atrocious this season and the player they missed the most was Holden, because he ran the offense and helped Timberlake get good looks. Is that on the coach and his staff that the offense has been so stagnant this season? I criticize the offense basically in every loss so of course I think it is. Next off-season, something needs to change and I say it every season. It starts with pace, but when you watch the great ball movement of Charleston, the ball never sticks. I don't care how good your defense is, when you move the ball that quickly and that well, you can beat a good or average defense. 

Every coach in the CAA gets criticized. It's part of the job. The UNCW fans after the Campbell game were not thrilled. Siddle should win Saturday against us, but he's 1-5 against Trowson.

My biggest problem is when I watch the CAA this season and last and see a player I'd love to have in a Towson uniform: Trazerian White, Shakeim Phillips, Tyler Thomas, Jameer Nelson Jr., Darlinstone Dubar, Aaron Estrada, Kobe Rodgers, Justin Moore, etc. It's a guard league and a wings league. Can Tejada, Lowery, Williamson or Cole become one of those guys? I'm not seeing it, but I can see one or two of those guys becoming very productive players in the future. We just need that freakin' star and we probably can't get that guy in the portal due to our NIL situation. So we have to develop it. Staff change? Recruiting more shooters? Recruiting less bullies and more athletic and lengthy players in the portal as well?

If you told me during the summer after the legal situation with Conway and the ACL injury to Watson, they'd we'd have a longshot of getting a top four seed in the final weekend, I'd probably be ecstatic, not thinking that we'd lose to Hampton on the road and beat Charleston on the road in the same season. Not trying to make this season half-full, but also trying to put things in perspective. 

Of course those wins matter....but it is when you win those that also matter. Folks will remember the Namath Jets Super Bowl win and the '69 Mets over the Orioles  more than a Carolina Panther win over the Chiefs in a week 3 game. (I picked that one out of the sky). I continue to say....win a game that will be remembered.  

3 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

Of course those wins matter....but it is when you win those that also matter. Folks will remember the Namath Jets Super Bowl win and the '69 Mets over the Orioles  more than a Carolina Panther win over the Chiefs in a week 3 game. (I picked that one out of the sky). I continue to say....win a game that will be remembered.  

Stop moving the goalposts!! Haha. Just be happy Wit Da 17 winz a yer

Just now, TuTigers2012 said:

Stop moving the goalposts!! Haha. Just be happy Wit Da 17 winz a yer

If you want to see how much the regular season really counts.....read the Baltimore Ravens Fans page after the Chiefs game a month or so ago. That is how sports works. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

If you want to see how much the regular season really counts.....read the Baltimore Ravens Fans page after the Chiefs game a month or so ago. That is how sports works. 

Yes sir. Even look at the Cowboys ( I call ravens cowboys of AFC). Not many happy about the lack of postseason success despite solid regular seasons. Sustained 18-12 seasons or whatever is just a small snapshot of the overall big picture…

4 minutes ago, tualum said:

Yes sir. Even look at the Cowboys ( I call ravens cowboys of AFC). Not many happy about the lack of postseason success despite solid regular seasons. Sustained 18-12 seasons or whatever is just a small snapshot of the overall big picture…

Don’t use such a disgusting word on this board 🤠 ever again 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Why is Hofstra always near the top? Fantastic guard play. We need to recruit those northern nj and nyc kids. 

Agreed we do need to recruit those type of kids, but those kids will choose Speedy over PK 99.9999% of the time.  If PK changes his offensive philosophy to a more guard oriented sets and less post play that may lower to 89.9999%!

29 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

Agreed we do need to recruit those type of kids, but those kids will choose Speedy over PK 99.9999% of the time.  If PK changes his offensive philosophy to a more guard oriented sets and less post play that may lower to 89.9999%!

Maybe this is just hearsay but I was told that International Players have a cap on the amount of NIL money they can receive and hence would be a better pursuit for mid major schools that lack funds..  again don’t know if this is indeed fact.  
What I do know is we are gonna sink or swim in the next few seasons depending on what NIL funds we come up with.  
The University of San Francisco has a ton of NIL support and hence have landed Mongo Mike and Johnathan Mogbo simply by outbidding other mid majors and more importantly providing housing for family members.  

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

No ostracism here. You’re right, given what he has to work with, Skerry has done a good job getting this offensively challenged team to the cusp of a top 4 finish. But there in lies part of the problem…while he can’t be blamed for Conway and Watson, he is responsible for the two portal swing and misses, in the form of Jones and Sulaiman (I mean, the latter is a decent role player, but nothing more). 

You’re also right that his postseason record has been brought up 8 million times. But that’s because it’s so glaringly awful. It’s the elephant 🐘 in the room. 

You’re also right that for the most part, he can’t land that stud player. Really, in 13 years, it’s Benimon only. Timberlake’s 1st 3 years, he never averaged more than 12ppg. It wasn’t until years 4-5 that he finally got into the 15-17ppg range, solely on his outside shooting. Let’s be honest, he wasn’t a complete offensive threat when he was here.

I won’t even bring up his failure to bring in a PG, other than Holden. 

His offensive “philosophy,” if you can call it that, is antiquated and has proven not to be ultimately successful. I mean, it is what it is. I hope we crack the top 4, but to be honest, I’m pretty much at the point of looking towards next season already