• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

UNCW II preview

Regarding Spiro's 2023-24 MBb broadcasts, especially as we anxiously focus on end of season / post-season success is the color commentary. I for one am happy the last two games did NOT have Jimmy Patsos giving his 99¢ worth. I tried to endure the relentless jabbering, but ultimately gave up and switched to the stat feed to keep up w what's going on. When Jimmy P commandeers the mic during action, it causes Spiro's PBP to lock up - silenced! ( :D also sounds like actor Charles McGraw from "Hang 'em High", but I digress). We've had good color guys in the past for teams incl Glen Smith (MLax) and Gordy Combs (football) that gave Spiro the space needed. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Moleman1 said:

Regarding Spiro's 2023-24 MBb broadcasts, especially as we anxiously focus on end of season / post-season success is the color commentary. I for one am happy the last two games did NOT have Jimmy Patsos giving his 99¢ worth. I tried to endure the relentless jabbering, but ultimately gave up and switched to the stat feed to keep up w what's going on. When Jimmy P commandeers the mic during action, it causes Spiro's PBP to lock up - silenced! ( :Dalso sounds like actor Charles McGraw from "Hang 'em High", but I digress). We've had good color guys in the past for teams incl Glen Smith (MLax) and Gordy Combs (football) that gave Spiro the space needed. 

Jimmy has a world of knowledge but comes off as a jabber jaw.  
Chuck Lightning was perfect.  
Spiro solo still does an excellent job despite all the technical difficulties in broadcasts through the years.  We will miss Spiro when he retires but let’s not hope soon. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Moleman1 said:

also sounds like actor Charles McGraw

Wow, a Charles McGraw reference!! My favorite movie of his is “Narrow Margin,” but now I’m digressing. 

My beef with Patsos is he tended to be repetitive. Like if I heard one more time that Joe Lombardi coached Sulaiman at IUP, or how Patsos ran into the Paar brothers at a train station in the offseason, I was going to scream. OTOH, I give him major kudos for referencing one of my favorite movies of all time, “The Warriors,” in the Monmouth telecast 

Not sure if I like our chances more or less now that uncw has hit a major bump recently. I don’t see how they lose 3 straight at home, but the fact that they lost 2 is something. 

Sell out crowd, hoping to knock them out of a double bye and senior day. Hopefully can ruin Phillips day. Feels like he was a freshman when Nick was.  Also would be nice for their insufferable fan base to lose their minds

• Like 2

Feels like a game we can ugly up and win, but hard to imagine us doing something like what we did against Charleston. It would be nice to get a good offensive performance and a win heading into the tournament, but that seems like it will be really tough so I will take a win in whatever form it comes in tomorrow.

I knew 2-2 was a given in our final four games, but 3-1 will be tough to get to. 

UNC-W -5.5 seems 1-2 points too high, but hard to know what to expect offensively on the road. We won’t be able to get away with Trazerien White lighting us up like he did in the first meeting.

a little worried about us having a slow start and yeah not sure if they lose 3 straight to go into the tourney

6 hours ago, Moleman1 said:

Regarding Spiro's 2023-24 MBb broadcasts, especially as we anxiously focus on end of season / post-season success is the color commentary. I for one am happy the last two games did NOT have Jimmy Patsos giving his 99¢ worth. I tried to endure the relentless jabbering, but ultimately gave up and switched to the stat feed to keep up w what's going on. When Jimmy P commandeers the mic during action, it causes Spiro's PBP to lock up - silenced! ( :Dalso sounds like actor Charles McGraw from "Hang 'em High", but I digress). We've had good color guys in the past for teams incl Glen Smith (MLax) and Gordy Combs (football) that gave Spiro the space needed. 

Amen to this.  It's one thing when you can see the game and you have to endure his soundtrack.  But for those of us  that go audio only, it's nearly impossible to follow the game.  If you run a drinking game for all the names he drops, you'll have to call the ambulance by the under-12 timeout in the 2nd half.

As for this game against UNCW, it can be considered a 'big game' due to the top 4 being at stake.  We know what our history is in these type of 'big games'.  It would be nice to buck our trend and play a complete 40 to get what we need for the CAA Tournament.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Feels like a game we can ugly up and win, but hard to imagine us doing something like what we did against Charleston. It would be nice to get a good offensive performance and a win heading into the tournament, but that seems like it will be really tough so I will take a win in whatever form it comes in tomorrow.

I knew 2-2 was a given in our final four games, but 3-1 will be tough to get to. 

UNC-W -5.5 seems 1-2 points too high, but hard to know what to expect offensively on the road. We won’t be able to get away with Trazerien White lighting us up like he did in the first meeting.

It’s 3.5 as of this morning, which I feel as though is a fair line. Can lowery/tarke/May do a good enough job guarding white? Dude is good and would be my pick for Poty (slightly) over Thomas