• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falters down the stretch, falls to No. 1 Charleston in semifinals 61-56

3 hours ago, omniland said:

There are approximately 362 division 1 basketball programs.  You need very few players on a basketball team, unlike in football, to make a splash in a particular year (a splash is not a championship).  Who knows how NIL  will shake out but I can’t see how a program like Towson will benefit.  The resources just are not there.  Be careful what you wish for in dismissing Skerry and the players you guys are mentioning.  Every coach for those 362 programs wants to keep their job and fights like hell to pick off players and scrambles up whatever resources they can to pull this player from here and this player from there. Is there any doubt that the corruption of the last 40 years with essentially the same division FBS football teams dominating each and every year was not a coincidence?  The same teams don’t win for that long because they just have a great coach.  They buy mother’s a new home and they buy family new vehicles and many other ways.  Now NIL is expanding the corruption and schools like Alabama know that the gravy train is over and Alabama will lose players they never would have lost in the past for the foreseeable future. 

My point is, is that no one knows how this will shake out because we are in the wild wild west stage.  Money is being thrown all over the place and I don’t know who you are going to bring in here that is going to be able to satisfy you guys in this type of environment for any extended period of time, because I think it can easily get substantially worse for a program like Towson.  The days of complaining that we need this type of player or a coach that understands this or that, I think may be over because it just may not matter more than who can pay off the most players.  I don’t believe you can get a Gary Neal, Jerrelle Benimon and Terrance West to come to Towson or certainly stay.   Those days seem to be over.  You may get lucky and get this kid to come here and the team then has a decent year but Towson dominating in the CAA seems highly unlikely and not because of Skerry.  I’m not sure Skerry hasn’t done a heck of a job so far.  I look at that Delaware performance against Hofstra.  Just a terrible display of basketball from a school that has a lot more resources than us and I wonder what you guys would say about the Delaware coach if you were fans?  They got smoked by an average Hofstra team when it mattered.  That game was not competitive.

I certainly wouldn’t want to coach in college sports in this environment and I think a lot of veteran coach's agree with me.  If you are a young coach and doesn't have money you join the corruption because that is the current system.  You keep moving from program to program seeking out a place that has more resources.  Resources are going to convince young coaches to take a job.  Experienced coaches that have made their money are going to retire.

You bring up good points about the economics of the landscape and they’re not fun ones.  But if the bought talent gets hamstrung by an archaic offense and questionable (being nice) decisions during winning time, who cares what the NIL war chest is.  Look at how SB handled the final 3 mins in their upset bid.  They played to win and got on a wave.  We played not to lose.  That’s a mindset and that’s bad coaching.  Do you think Samford and Morehead are overflowing with NIL funds?  Their conference competition is maybe a tick below ours but they figured out a way to get it done.  We’ve had better teams than this fail at this spot.  When May’s 3 banked in, I thought it funny that this group would be the one that finally broke through.  And then, all of the intelligence drained. 

Next morning and still stings….  how could we piss that game away?  Thank you Charles Thompson for your 5 seasons.  
Pat has gotta shake up his staff and add a coach or two.  He’s not falling but someone has to for that collapse last night.  
Got more depressed last night watching all the other conference tournaments and seeing Cinderellas emerge.  Not going to get any easier in 2024-2025 knowing teams like Elon, A & T are gonna get better etc.  Lucy continues to yank that ball from us.  How much more can we take?  I shouldn’t be this angry with the coach cause before this game last night I thought he was on to something mentally with his comments leading up to the game with Charleston but then last night in the postgame he sounds like a guy who never had a plan and was talking tongue and cheek.  13-1 run!!!!  

3 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

You can talk all you want about NIL, Finances, Comparisons in those areas to others. Last nights loss to get to the finals was done with two simple words......BAD COACHING

THIS!  Again and again.  Give Skerry the keys to (fill in the blank sports car) and I bet you I pass him in my beat up 2005 Altima as he sits in the right lane.  His scheme is old and does not work in today's game.  I hate watching our games because anytime we are playing well I am watching our games on a swivel because I just know the bad is coming.  ONE bleeping point the last 4 minutes of a game you should have control up seven points.  The stall ball missed 3 by DW up with 2:40 to go, that whole possession was unbearable to watch as he is standing there.  COC almost got a 5 second call on it and they were not even truly guarding him.  The moment Tarke stole the ball and started down the court you could see the only thing on his mind was to get rid of it.  The last thing he wanted to do was go in for that layup.  Never seen a guard shy away in such a situation.  May's air ball foul shot you could hear the disbelief in Pete Gillen's voice!  That foul shot was the capper for Gillen as he was questioning Skerry throughout the game.  Just like just he's seen this movie before as he broadcast our tournament games the past few years.

Someone mentioned Jon Rothstein's post game comments and then I saw his posted tweet on this board.  It is not just us, some frustrated fans popping off on a message board.  National eyes are seeing and questioning.  Look PK nice guy yes, does great in the community, is probably a great representative for the University but it is time to move on.  The problem which we already know is Towson is not showing him the door with too much money owed on his contract.  There is no school that would be considered an upgrade to Towson that would offer him a head job.  He ain't making a lateral move even if it is a New England school that wants him.  Our best hope is, Jamie Dixon I am looking at you, but you might even have to remind him who PK is, a big school offers him a ton of money to be a head assistant.  I always laugh when watching Kentucky and see Bruiser on the bench. 

Sunday night a friend of mine in a group chat I am in was surprised I was so negative and questioning how I could be so down on the team as he was going on the "you never know theory".  My response was simply "I am just an experienced fan of a team that has not been to the NCAA Tournament in over 30 years."  

Thanks for letting me vent boys!  Cross your fingers, if I win the next Powerball or Mega Millions I will buyout PK and have the SECU sign removed from Towson Center II.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Look, I’ve posed this question before, and I’ll do so again now…who would we want back next year from this team? The list is dwindling. IMHO, it’s down to Lowery, Tejada and Williamson. Can anyone truly say they enthusiastically want May back? Jones? Tarke? Suliaman? Coleman? Cole? (This one pains me, because I held out great hope for him, but no longer, at least not here). 

The three you mentioned and I’d take Suliman. But of those 4, two are starters, the rest are role Players 

13 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Gotta want Tarke back.  Considering how his season started by the NCAA I thought he had a solid season for us.  He’s a glue guy and we can’t come back with no PG’s. 
May led us in scoring this season and at times was really good defensively. Gotta bring him back.  

Hard no!

6 hours ago, omniland said:

There are approximately 362 division 1 basketball programs.  You need very few players on a basketball team, unlike in football, to make a splash in a particular year (a splash is not a championship).  Who knows how NIL  will shake out but I can’t see how a program like Towson will benefit.  The resources just are not there.  Be careful what you wish for in dismissing Skerry and the players you guys are mentioning.  Every coach for those 362 programs wants to keep their job and fights like hell to pick off players and scrambles up whatever resources they can to pull this player from here and this player from there. Is there any doubt that the corruption of the last 40 years with essentially the same division FBS football teams dominating each and every year was not a coincidence?  The same teams don’t win for that long because they just have a great coach.  They buy mother’s a new home and they buy family new vehicles and many other ways.  Now NIL is expanding the corruption and schools like Alabama know that the gravy train is over and Alabama will lose players they never would have lost in the past for the foreseeable future. 

My point is, is that no one knows how this will shake out because we are in the wild wild west stage.  Money is being thrown all over the place and I don’t know who you are going to bring in here that is going to be able to satisfy you guys in this type of environment for any extended period of time, because I think it can easily get substantially worse for a program like Towson.  The days of complaining that we need this type of player or a coach that understands this or that, I think may be over because it just may not matter more than who can pay off the most players.  I don’t believe you can get a Gary Neal, Jerrelle Benimon and Terrance West to come to Towson or certainly stay.   Those days seem to be over.  You may get lucky and get this kid to come here and the team then has a decent year but Towson dominating in the CAA seems highly unlikely and not because of Skerry.  I’m not sure Skerry hasn’t done a heck of a job so far.  I look at that Delaware performance against Hofstra.  Just a terrible display of basketball from a school that has a lot more resources than us and I wonder what you guys would say about the Delaware coach if you were fans?  They got smoked by an average Hofstra team when it mattered.  That game was not competitive.

I certainly wouldn’t want to coach in college sports in this environment and I think a lot of veteran coach's agree with me.  If you are a young coach and doesn't have money you join the corruption because that is the current system.  You keep moving from program to program seeking out a place that has more resources.  Resources are going to convince young coaches to take a job.  Experienced coaches that have made their money are going to retire.

NIL had nothing to do with last night. That’s a fucking excuse that people are going to use, and maybe a few seasons now it will be one but Jesus F Christ. Besides Charleston, no one is rolling in the dough. 750 bucks to go to an and t or 500 to Towson, it’s not like we are competing with duke, unc Kansas. Sheesh. 
And Delaware fans want ingelsby gone. And have for a bit.  Huskies fans are begging for coen to be gone. Until 4 weeks ago Drexel fans were questioning spiker. But here at Towson we have an idiotic philosophy to hand out extensions like candy and we are left being passed by schools who hav me rebuilt and passed us again numerous times 

4 hours ago, TSU88 said:

If this is the case, just give him a lifetime contract and be done with it.

Last night’s debacle had nothing to do with NIL, and a great deal to do with dubious coaching decisions.

Change always brings concerns of the unknown, but change sometimes is necessary, even if it’s just for the sake of change itself. I’d rather take a risk than continue on the path we’ve been on. The bottom line is getting to the NCAA tournament. Anything short of that is just window dressing. Stony Brook, which I doubt is dripping with NIL money (maybe I’m wrong) is in the championship game in only its second year in the conference. Our coach has failed to make it this far in 13 years. 

Yup. It’s like we are scared to make a change on something that isn’t working or hasn’t worked. 

4 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

You can talk all you want about NIL, Finances, Comparisons in those areas to others. Last nights loss to get to the finals was done with two simple words......BAD COACHING

Yup. But it’s easier to find an excuse for their man skerry. 

2 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Next morning and still stings….  how could we piss that game away?  Thank you Charles Thompson for your 5 seasons.  
Pat has gotta shake up his staff and add a coach or two.  He’s not falling but someone has to for that collapse last night.  
Got more depressed last night watching all the other conference tournaments and seeing Cinderellas emerge.  Not going to get any easier in 2024-2025 knowing teams like Elon, A & T are gonna get better etc.  Lucy continues to yank that ball from us.  How much more can we take?  I shouldn’t be this angry with the coach cause before this game last night I thought he was on to something mentally with his comments leading up to the game with Charleston but then last night in the postgame he sounds like a guy who never had a plan and was talking tongue and cheek.  13-1 run!!!!  

My profile photo.  

wonder where 24 is?

4 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

IMG_6126.jpeg

1 coach is a proven winner. The other wilts in big moments like a flower in a drought. Care to figure out which is which?🤔

it's my fault. 😬

I saw the 91% chance of winning up by 7 on the ESPN app so I turned the game on which was a huge mistake. Watched the complete and total collapse.  The first time in a very long time I yelled at the tv for the stupid plays we made.  Towson basketball and football have totally desensitized me to the point I don't even watch much anymore. I'll still check scores on my phone and I desperately want us to win, for the school to figure out WTF it wants to be for athletics, I'll still donate, I'll still root for the teams but each time the disappointment kills any passion left just little by little.

Towson Horse said it well on Twitter at the beat down by COFC at home. After all that hype at some point you have to win some of these games. In no order off of the top of my head games for MBB and FB that could have turned the tide and didn't:

• MBB: Wake this year, Clemson last year, Pitt in 2021 Florida in 2019, Maryland in 2016
  • FB: the national champion game; when NDSU came to town; Maryland in 2011; LSU in 2012; San Diego State in 2021; pretty much any JMU or UD game over the years.

I yelled “COME ON!” at the TV so loud watching us choke that my wife upstairs said “omg you scared the shit outta me!” 

I still feel bad for scaring her, but towson basketball and Pat skerry warrant that reaction. Screams of disgust and terror! Ugh

20 minutes ago, Blounge said:

I yelled “COME ON!” at the TV so loud watching us choke that my wife upstairs said “omg you scared the shit outta me!” 

I still feel bad for scaring her, but towson basketball and Pat skerry warrant that reaction. Screams of disgust and terror! Ugh

You scared her one night; Skerry has horrified us in the conference tournament for 12 years. All things considered, you’ve gotten the worst end of the deal 

• Like 1

Little did I know that I had so many alums who don’t follow the team as close as all of us but they told me with 4 minutes left they were all making plans to take off yesterday and driving down to DC to be part of history.  
Oh I see UMass Lowell is playing Saturday for the America East bid.  
This loss of ours is gonna stick around all off season and I’m gonna take my anger out on our coaches not the players.  
He praised his assistants week in and week out for good scouts and then the idea of going with 4 guards late against UNCW.  
He obviously relies on them a great deal so who takes the fall for the 13-1 run blunder?  
When Nick Siriani kept his job he fired assistants.  Can’t come back with same coaching staff for 2024-25.  If no money then let an assistant go and replace him with a graduate assistant.  These coaching staffs today run 7-8 deep.