• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General Basketball Thread for 2024-25

1 hour ago, Tgr4life said:

38-16 is equal to the Orioles dominating Spring Training....just something meaningless to talk about

Shhh šŸ¤«Ā 

3 minutes ago, tualum said:

How bout that Wolfpack! Heck of a run!!

Thurl Bailey and Lorenzo Charles played great games. And Wihittenberg and Lowe werenā€™t bad either. Survive & advanceĀ 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 10:43 AM, Tgr4life said:

38-16 is equal to the Orioles dominating Spring Training....just something meaningless to talk about

If you really think that I am not sure why you watch any of the games until the conference tournament. That is 22 games over .500 in 54 conference games (70.3 wining %), which is over half (53.5% to be exact) the games we have played the last three years. I know it is not really a great version of the conference, but it is the one we compete in every year.

I don't say this to stick upĀ for Skerry or try to give us moral victories. I say it because wining in conference play in the regular season is part of the equation forĀ being a good program. I think it is noteworthy. Ā NotĀ making an NCAA Tournament or having any significant non-conference wins are other parts of the equation, but you can't just ignore the fact that of all the good teams in our conference we are within three games of having the best record the last three years, and are one of only three teams to have finished first or had a share of first in one of those years.

If we hired a new coach would you want them to do well in conference play, or does it just not matter at all to you?Ā I know the NCAA Tournament is what matters most, and that is true for everyone here. However, there are other aspects to being a good program. You can say this coach hasn't done enough to lean on those numbers and that is fine, but having a 70% winning percentage in conference games, which are the most important games we play outside of the conference tournament, does not equate to Spring Training.Ā 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

If you really think that I am not sure why you watch any of the games until the conference tournament. That is 22 games over .500 in 54 conference games (70.3 wining %), which is over half (53.5% to be exact) the games we have played the last three years. I know it is not really a great version of the conference, but it is the one we compete in every year.

I don't say this to stick upĀ for Skerry or try to give us moral victories. I say it because wining in conference play in the regular season is part of the equation forĀ being a good program. I think it is noteworthy. Ā NotĀ making an NCAA Tournament or having any significant non-conference wins are other parts of the equation, but you can't just ignore the fact that of all the good teams in our conference we are within three games of having the best record the last three years, and are one of only three teams to have finished first or had a share of first in one of those years.

If we hired a new coach would you want them to do well in conference play, or does it just not matter at all to you?Ā I know the NCAA Tournament is what matters most, and that is true for everyone here. However, there are other aspects to being a good program. You can say this coach hasn't done enough to lean on those numbers and that is fine, but having a 70% winning percentage in conference games, which are the most important games we play outside of the conference tournament, does not equate to Spring Training.Ā 

I watch games because I enjoy the sport. I go to watch two teams and see great plays and players on both teams. Of course I want a team I support to win, but that does not take away from the outstanding plays and players regardless of the uniform they wear.Ā 

Last year the orioles won 101 games. They were that talk of the sport in Jume, July, August and September.....However, when they went to spring training this year, that talk was about making up for a poor showing in the playoffs.....not June, July, August or September.......that is the way sports works. You may agree with that or disagree with the importance of each portion, but in ten end, it is the playoffs that matter. In this case it is the conference championship that matters. That does not take away from good plays or players during the season, but what matters is....as mentioned before, the playoffs. That is where quality of players and coaches are measured.Ā 

11 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

So if the conference season is spring training, do we call the non-con season the Hot Stove League?

5 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

So if the conference season is spring training, do we call the non-con season the Hot Stove League?

You can call it whatever you like. The bottom line is those games are fun to watch if you love the sport, but in the end, your season is judged by the playoffs. Advancing to the Regionals is what defines your season.Ā 

Edited by Tgr4life