• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Datres

TOWSON 36, MORGAN 10

Overall I was pleased. The transfers we brought in are obviously talented.  O-line was weak at times and the playcalling on a few of those 3rd downs was wonky. Bottom line is we didn't play amazing and still won big. Conference play will be a different animal. 

Mat, any idea when Greenwood (leading receiver from last year) is going to play? He didn’t catch a pass last night, so I’m assuming he was out with an injury. Also, what about Dorsey & Greaves? The latter was supposed to be a touted prospect, if I recall correctly.

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Also, we need to finish drives better and it starts with the play-calling inside the 5. I don't mind throwing fades to Clark who is 6-6 or one of the Jabari's but the throw to Gallahan, it appears they were not on the same page after Flacco faked it. I think you have to use your hammer and that's Yeedee in short-yardage. We didn't have the last season or you run Shane or Kobe on the perimter. You can also use Flacco on keepers but he's been getting pounded all night. Tom also holds onto the ball for a long time, extending the play, which is cool but he also takes more hits that way.

When he has time, he lets the play develop and throws a terrific intermediate pass. Something I haven't seen in many years. Enders was good at that as well though I think Flacco's arm was better. But they do have some similarities.

The 4th down call on the goal line at the end of the 2nd quarter was abysmal.  Go for it, yes, but don't run that misdirectional crap on the 1-yard line...not with an above-average offensive line.  We had a series with 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1 on consecutive plays and we're throwing slants.  Keep it basic, get the first down, and extend drives.  I don't care if you have Manute Bol as a wide receiver, the fade from inside the 10 yard line is one of the worst plays in the game.  You're often throwing against 3 defenders (the live one and the 2 out of bounds lines) and there's too much that has to be perfect (placement, arc, receiver able to outjump defender) for it to work.  Oh yeah, and the receiver has to make sure to come down with the ball and hang on when he hits the ground.  I'd be totally fine with taking that goal line fade completely out of the playbook.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Mat, any idea when Greenwood (leading receiver from last year) is going to play? He didn’t catch a pass last night, so I’m assuming he was out with an injury. Also, what about Dorsey & Greaves? The latter was supposed to be a touted prospect, if I recall correctly.

He played some. Guess he’s still nicked up from a camp injury. He’s listed on participation chart.

28 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

The 4th down call on the goal line at the end of the 2nd quarter was abysmal.  Go for it, yes, but don't run that misdirectional crap on the 1-yard line...not with an above-average offensive line.  We had a series with 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1 on consecutive plays and we're throwing slants.  Keep it basic, get the first down, and extend drives.  I don't care if you have Manute Bol as a wide receiver, the fade from inside the 10 yard line is one of the worst plays in the game.  You're often throwing against 3 defenders (the live one and the 2 out of bounds lines) and there's too much that has to be perfect (placement, arc, receiver able to outjump defender) for it to work.  Oh yeah, and the receiver has to make sure to come down with the ball and hang on when he hits the ground.  I'd be totally fine with taking that goal line fade completely out of the playbook.

I don’t mind the fade with Flacco throwing the ball to a big target in one on one situations 

Nice to win in dominating fashion. I didn’t see a ton of the game but followed along. I’m not totally shocked they kept it vanilla. Try to give Wake as little as possible on tape. They barely beat a below average Tulane team this week. Would be awesome to get another FBS win next week. 

Agreed about the play call on 2nd and 3rd and one in the second half after Kobe picked up 9 yds. Two passes there and a punt. The box is stacked? Run Kobe on the perimeter again.

I’d like to think we kept it vanilla, particularly on D, so as not to tip our hand to Wake. I’m not sure that was the case-only the coaching staff knows whether that was the case or not.

I’m still concerned about some of the dubious play calling on offense.