• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB dominates No. 1 UNCW 79-55

There have been a lot of fun parts about this season, but maybe the most gratifying has been watching the development of Charles Thompson. I don't get to see many Towson games in-person, but I did go to the season-opener against George Washington in Thompson's freshman year. I was excited about what he could become after that game because of his athleticism and his motor. He has continued to develop a fairly steady rate, but the jump he has made this year has been incredible.

He has been a big part of setting the tone for the physical play Towson has been bringing to these games recently and through the year, and he is putting up some great numbers (including 15 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks last night). Pat Skerry, the coaching staff and of course first and foremost Charles deserve a tremendous amount of credit for the progression he has made as a player. It feels like he is used in almost every other (at a minimum) half-court possession to play a two-man game with the guards that usually sets up other movements on offense. He is fun to watch and very easy to root for.  

According to the Towson record book, Kennell Jones holds the record for a .589 field goal percentage for a season. Thompson is shooting .613 (119-194) this season. I think CBS Sports gave these stats last night, but he is shooting .723 (55-76) with 17.2 ppg, 8.4 rpg and 2.4 blpg in the last seven games where we have gone 6-1 with wins at Delaware (9-3 at home), Hofstra (9-1 at home) and UNC-Wilmington (11-2 at home). 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

There have been a lot of fun parts about this season, but maybe the most gratifying has been watching the development of Charles Thompson. I don't get to see many Towson games in-person, but I did go to the season-opener against George Washington in Thompson's freshman year. I was excited about what he could become after that game because of his athleticism and his motor. He has continued to develop a fairly steady rate, but the jump he has made this year has been incredible.

He has been a big part of setting the tone for the physical play Towson has been bringing to these games recently and through the year, and he is putting up some great numbers (including 15 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks last night). Pat Skerry, the coaching staff and of course first and foremost Charles deserve a tremendous amount of credit for the progression he has made as a player. It feels like he is used in almost every other (at a minimum) half-court possession to play a two-man game with the guards that usually sets up other movements on offense. He is fun to watch and very easy to root for.  

According to the Towson record book, Kennell Jones holds the record for a .589 field goal percentage for a season. Thompson is shooting .613 (119-194) this season. I think CBS Sports gave these stats last night, but he is shooting .723 (55-76) with 17.2 ppg, 8.4 rpg and 2.4 blpg in the last seven games where we have gone 6-1 with wins at Delaware (9-3 at home), Hofstra (9-1 at home) and UNC-Wilmington (11-2 at home). 

One thing PS has often been criticized for during his tenure is the lack of development with Freshman throughout their careers. I think we need to pull that back a bit. The development of CT, Nick and Gibby has been vital in the success of this team. Obviously the players deserve a ton of the credit.

Not sure what has changed to cause this but I wonder if that has to do with the assistants. kudos to the staff for finding the right mix of transfers and developing what we had on the roster. 

my hope is this isn’t 1 magical year but really helps us become the program we were all hoping to build when JB was here. 

• Like 2

While I am critical of Coach Skerry, I don't think I'm unfair and so he deserves credit when credit is due.  That was a great, confidence-inspiring win.  Great job from top to bottom.

Keep it going, boys! Do NOT take your feet off the gas.

Go Tigers!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

While I am critical of Coach Skerry, I don't think I'm unfair and so he deserves credit when credit is due.  That was a great, confidence-inspiring win.  Great job from top to bottom.

Keep it going, boys! Do NOT take your feet off the gas.

Go Tigers!

I agree and feel like I am on the same page. The key now becomes following through on what was, IMHO, the biggest win during Skerry's time at Towson. This will also change the perception other teams have for Towson and may be a little more revved up once the tournament comes. I dont ever remember Towson playing with a target on n their back. It is now time to stand up and be counted. For all of the good this season has brought thus fr, the season actually will be judged by what happens from here on in. The players need to remember that. 

amazing what some accuracy from da field will do 2da cranky-panted boobird "fans" on dis chat  !  if we only had some positive guy(s) talkin about da talent, chemistry, ball movement, and ability to have multiple players score double figures wayyyyyyy long ago; like after the Albany game? hmmmm    (this is where '2012 buys me beers, Atlanta eats crow, and tualum stops, well likely only takes a break, from being such a negative nancy......grab Matt a 6pack too plse)). 

anywho, its been awesome to watch, and i hope it continues.  (and fear not you seemingly converted "skerry-ball-pessimists", and i have saved plenty-o seats in the front of the bus/positive section.  Defend and rebound every game; ....and make some shots dis team got a chance in DC.           Charles for President !!!!!!     BIG Saturday

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TTiger2024 said:

amazing what some accuracy from da field will do 2da cranky-panted boobird "fans" on dis chat  !  if we only had some positive guy(s) talkin about da talent, chemistry, ball movement, and ability to have multiple players score double figures wayyyyyyy long ago; like after the Albany game? hmmmm    (this is where '2012 buys me beers, Atlanta eats crow, and tualum stops, well likely only takes a break, from being such a negative nancy......grab Matt a 6pack too plse)). 

anywho, its been awesome to watch, and i hope it continues.  (and fear not you seemingly converted "skerry-ball-pessimists", and i have saved plenty-o seats in the front of the bus/positive section.  Defend and rebound every game; ....and make some shots dis team got a chance in DC.           Charles for President !!!!!!     BIG Saturday

I believe you stated numerous to average 15 but you also were referring to paar.. haha

Tuesday March 8th I’ll be happy to buy the beers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I believe you stated numerous to average 15 but you also were referring to paar.. haha

Tuesday March 8th I’ll be happy to buy the beers.

Yep, here’s hoping that we will all celebrate after waiting 31 years!

Edited by RundaPower
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

Thompson’s increased productivity has been nothing but remarkable. He came to the program with very little fanfare, and appeared to have a limited offensive skill set & a limited ceiling. He deserves tons of credit, as does the coaching staff. The offense now runs through him. He’s easy to root for and a great face of the program 

• Like 2