• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Monmouth routs Tigers 42-23 in home opener

6 minutes ago, TUTigers said:

I think everyone needs to pump the brakes. Lots of overreactions after 2 games. Did people really expect this team to be good this season? Nothing against Nathan Kent, but he was 3rd string for a reason. He is not going to be the QB that carries the team to victories. I had low expectations going into year 1 of Pete so I’m not really surprised that this is where we are. 

If we, as armchair QB’s, knew that Kent isn’t going to win us any games, why would the coaching staff not bring in a better QB from the portal? “Low expectations for year 1.” That’s a rousing slogan and something to really excite the (few) fans we have. Sorry, I want more than that, year 1 or no year one 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TUTigers said:

I think everyone needs to pump the brakes. Lots of overreactions after 2 games. Did people really expect this team to be good this season? Nothing against Nathan Kent, but he was 3rd string for a reason. He is not going to be the QB that carries the team to victories. I had low expectations going into year 1 of Pete so I’m not really surprised that this is where we are. 

When should we start to care about wins and losses? Towson athletics may be #1 in terms of most seasons that don't count/matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

My biggest surprise is that the ‘Fire Pete’ thread hasn’t been started. I thought that’s how it worked around here. 

Obviously, that would be a textbook example of a knee jerk reaction, but I don’t have any problem pondering whether this guy was the right hire, in the context of asking myself that when his hiring was announced, not just because of the results of the first two games. I make no apologies for questioning whether a guy at his age is the right guy. I still don’t understand why he wasn’t more active in the portal. I still would have preferred a younger, more aggressive offensive minded coordinator type. As with most things, time will tell, and he may have the program clicking on all cylinders next season. If so, no one will be happier than me. Truth be told, this is more a referendum on the new A.D.’s hiring skills, especially if he’ll be the one hiring a new basketball coach if/when the time comes 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Obviously, that would be a textbook example of a knee jerk reaction, but I don’t have any problem pondering whether this guy was the right hire, in the context of asking myself that when his hiring was announced, not just because of the results of the first two games. I make no apologies for questioning whether a guy at his age is the right guy. I still don’t understand why he wasn’t more active in the portal. I still would have preferred a younger, more aggressive offensive minded coordinator type. As with most things, time will tell, and he may have the program clicking on all cylinders next season. If so, no one will be happier than me. Truth be told, this is more a referendum on the new A.D.’s hiring skills, especially if he’ll be the one hiring a new basketball coach if/when the time comes 

If Pete doesn’t work out  in 3-4 years, I’m not sure Steve will be around to make that decision, if it comes to that.

37 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

My biggest surprise is that the ‘Fire Pete’ thread hasn’t been started. I thought that’s how it worked around here. 

I think people are overreacting a bit. While the team is 0-2, the players are bought in. Every player I've talked to has spoken very highly of the coaching staff, the work they're doing, and the team mentality they have. I get that they're 0-2. Not a good start to the season by any stretch. But this isn't necessarily Shinnick's team. There was tons of turnover from last season under RA. Shinnick had less time to recruit, and I imagine it's not easy to recruit guys to an all-new coaching staff where the head guy comes from D-2 (despite his success there). 

Players from all different schools talk. While it's a different sport, I know that Cam and Nick had a part in getting at least one transfer to join Towson MBB this offseason. If the team is bought in and trusts the new coaching staff, the players' words will go a long way in recruiting guys, even if their record for the first season isn't good. 

Personally, I didn't expect much out of the team this year. It's a shame since this is probably my last season covering them, but I don't think the new AD hired Shinnick with the grand expectation that they would compete for a championship this year. 

Frustrating start to the season? Yes. Is it going to be a rough year for the program? Yes. But the players are bought in, and the relationship and coaching style should start paying dividends as players talk amongst themselves and do some recruiting of guys in the transfer portal next year.

• Like 1

Give the man a break. He just started and coached 2 games with basically the same players from last year on this team I read? No qb has been an issue the last couple of years and nothing will get better on the offensive end until that is addressed. I’m concerned though about the Morgan game and could be a doozy.. I trust in coach Pete!

• Haha 1

Man, I wish there were as many fans coming for Skerry’s head as there are coming for Shinnick’s.

Pete is TWO games into his Towson career. Two. Everyone settle down. He’s working with a bit of a patchwork roster and hasn’t had a full recruiting cycle to work with yet. The two teams we’ve played so far aren’t the dregs of college football. 

Clearly we’re in need of better QB play. I’m confident that will be addressed in the future. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tualum said:

Give the man a break. He just started and coached 2 games with basically the same players from last year on this team I read? No qb has been an issue the last couple of years and nothing will get better on the offensive end until that is addressed. I’m concerned though about the Morgan game and could be a doozy.. I trust in coach Pete!

I’m not trying to be purposely confrontational but when you write “no qb has been an issue the last couple of years and nothing will get better on the offensive end until that is addressed,” you’re making my point, which is why didn’t the new HC address this chronic issue through the portal, which he had ample time to do? 

I think Morgan state is foaming at the mouth ready to beat our ass after losing to us 10 years in a row. At the moment, i have more confidence in the teddy bears than the tigers for the battle for greater Baltimore 

• Like 1