• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Future

You make a good point. When the topic is about what’s going on on the football field, there’s like 5 people, give or take, who post. But when it’s about tailgating, suddenly it’s the hottest topic going 

52 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

So then do something about it. This is the topic everybody cares about Towson, not our football team. We can go on and on and on and on about tailgating for 15 threads but get a few people that really care about what's on the field. How do we get better? What holes do we need to fill? If you want the coach fired, who is the best fit in 2020? This topic was supposed to be about the team, not about the f-ing student tailgates. If we are losing, of course there's going to be less people at tailgates. If Dr. Schaetzel, TL or Rob want to fix it, they have the ability to do so. These kids that just got to campus have nothing to do with what happened 4-5 years ago.

Do what? 

are you trying to say I don't care about what's on the field?

you are sadly mistaken my friend.  I do care, I support the program, I travel to games, I donate money to the program. 

I PLAYED football for this university

im sick and tired of listening to guys talk who think they know the locker room and are always talking about next year or recruiting classes or we would have done this if so and so didn't get hurt

i've browsed these boards for years but hardly ever comment but it's gotten comical - guys like you talking about the future halfway through the season

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm getting angry on a message board - c'mon I'm better than that

i've played with guys that work for the athletic department and I played with guys on the coaching staff - so I do hear some things that others don' t hear also.

im just frustrated it seems like we are in this situation a lot - talking about what could have been, frankly I'm done. This is the avenue the university chose to go.  A MW type was big on promotions, hype and putting butts in the seats, TL was supposedly brought on to be a big fundraiser. 

i talk about the tailgating because I'm still going to go to games I would just like to enjoy the full college football experience

i'll stroll back into the shadows now

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Time to get over it, that was five years ago. 

I agree, as im new to the forums, wanted to set the record straight. They did a poor job of communicating that it was back to normal as well. 

18 hours ago, BradTU said:

13 hours ago, mat1992 said:

So then do something about it. This is the topic everybody cares about Towson, not our football team. We can go on and on and on and on about tailgating for 15 threads but get a few people that really care about what's on the field. How do we get better? What holes do we need to fill? If you want the coach fired, who is the best fit in 2020? This topic was supposed to be about the team, not about the f-ing student tailgates. If we are losing, of course there's going to be less people at tailgates. If Dr. Schaetzel, TL or Rob want to fix it, they have the ability to do so. These kids that just got to campus have nothing to do with what happened 4-5 years ago.

Also to your last point in being a student from 4-5 years ago have no bearing now.. the upperclassman now are only doing what they were taught from those students.. And if they are not going.. do you think underclassman go to more than their first game? you are very strongly under playing how important tailgates are. That can be the difference between a horrible turn out compared to a mediocre or big turn out. Which in turn over 4-5 years leads to a culture of going to tailgates/games.. and the game presence growing in the community. and then those alumni such as now myself, continuing to go back to games throughout my life time. And I spoke with numerous players from 2-4 years ago. to even players now. They understand the policies the school had which negatively affects turn out. and one can say affects their performance on the field. Or atleast lack of enthusiasm even in the slightest bit. JUST MY OPINION.

I agree to some extent that tailgating contributes to the overall college football experience. The kids out there on the field would love to play in front of a packed house routing them on. What's the point of home field advantage if no one sits in the stands. Yes, the policies did negatively affect attendance regardless of what anyone says and was a factor in attendance. Couple that with a mediocre team placed on the field and you have what we have now. So it is time for solutions. First, take care of the issues regarding the team to field a better product. Followed by good marketing and changes in the tailgating policies to bring students back to the games.

2 hours ago, tualum said:

I agree to some extent that tailgating contributes to the overall college football experience. The kids out there on the field would love to play in front of a packed house routing them on. What's the point of home field advantage if no one sits in the stands. Yes, the policies did negatively affect attendance regardless of what anyone says and was a factor in attendance. Couple that with a mediocre team placed on the field and you have what we have now. So it is time for solutions. First, take care of the issues regarding the team to field a better product. Followed by good marketing and changes in the tailgating policies to bring students back to the games.

agreed it has to be in that order. Need to get the product corrected. Win mentality. I know RA is thru 2020, which I am not upset about, as he did lead us to a natty game. What about the brother ambrose contract?  

Had an interesting conversation with 20 current students yesterday to find out why they do not come to games....basketball or football. 

The consensus is that FCS football is just not interesting to them. They would rather sit home and watch Alabama or LSU. They also indicated that lack of tailgating is a significant deterrent. Wins and losses were important, but not as important as the other two. Several students also said they would like to have greater interaction with the student athletes themselves. That would give more of a reason to support the teams. Whether or not these feelings are justified is not important. As long as current students have these feelings, attendance will be poor. 

In basketball, they indicated that the lack of seeing a "name" team...or even a "name" players is a big part of the indifference. When they found out that Michigan came at the grand opening of the wood floor in the Towson Center, their eyes lit up hoping for something similar to that. I certainly got the sense that all these students want is a reason to come to the games. T-shirts and pizza and Military Appreciation Day are no longer the answer. 

I hope there is some plan in the near future there can be a committee and a diverse one to answer the attendance issues and help the Tigers build more student support. That is something we all want. 

• Like 2

I've been to just about every home game since 2005, plenty of away games and the championship of course.  I haven't been as active on this blog recenlty because I just feel it is the same old same old for the past several years.  I have said before that the CAA is all about offense.  You out score your opponents period.  There are exceptions to this rule but by in large this is how you win in the CAA.   We haven't had an offense that can compete in the CAA since West's last year.  Wethington was a substantial loss.  I knew it.  Simpson is too small to be an every down and his injuries are proving this to be the case.  I don't think we will ever know how Stover is or the line is if you have no one that can make something out of nothing running the ball.  Someone that the other team is concerned with.  I think Wethington was the only RB on our team that had the potential to do that and he isn't here. 

So if you don't have a winning team you need atmosphere.  I have tried and tried to bring as many people and family to all of the games every year.  The tailgate debacle with the school cracking down on tailgating has been an unmitigated disaster.  Even though this was several years ago, the school still has an overwhelming police and security presence like I have never seen at any other tailgate.  Sometimes it just comes off as shear harassment by the police and security staff just itching to make a comment and look for something to enforce.  Out of all my years tailgating I have not seen one incident that I can remember that was in need of enforcement in Lot 13.  Yet the amount of police presence and security patrol is ridiculous.  I brought my wife to the game against Richmond where she has not been in a while.  She just couldn't believe the feeling that was portrayed with all of the security and police presence, especially where all the season ticket holders and alumni were set up.  Just ridiculous.  No wonder students don't want to come to the games.  With that kind of scrutinty it would almost be a guarantee, if you were a student, to get harassed and probably some type of citation or arrest. 

Drinking and tailgating are never going away at any college in the United States.  It just is never going to happen.  Yes monitor Towson but don't live in an unrealistic world and ruin the tailgating tradition and atmosphere of college football.  Lot 14 is just dead for years now.

• Like 2