• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falters down the stretch, falls to No. 1 Charleston in semifinals 61-56

28 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Gotta want Tarke back.  Considering how his season started by the NCAA I thought he had a solid season for us.  He’s a glue guy and we can’t come back with no PG’s. 
May led us in scoring this season and at times was really good defensively. Gotta bring him back.  

A point guard needs to pass occasionally. He’s been around a long to time. If he’s back, if they want better efficiency, he should come off the bench.

10 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

A point guard needs to pass occasionally. He’s been around a long to time. If he’s back, if they want better efficiency, he should come off the bench.

Didn’t ever say he needed to start.  Just need him back in the rotation.   Can’t dump all these guys or it’s a total rebuild.  
Tejada, D-Will, Lowery, May, Tarke & Suilamon core and then add better talent around them.  Let’s face it if we don’t add a legit Frontcourt veteran transfer that can score then we are a 12 win team next season.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

16 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Williamson may not be the alpha dog but he’s the best we’ve had in awhile. He should have started with Tarke or instead of Tarke. I know he plays starters minutes but I think one of tbe most important parts of the game is the opening of the second half. 

Yep, and that goes to having the wrong personnel on the floor.  DW is one of the few offensive bright spots in the first half and yet, Tarke is out there for the first 3 minutes of the 2nd half -- just long enough for him to unnecessarily cheat on defense and leave his man open in the lane for an easy bucket.  When Tarke is on it, he's pretty good.  But when he's been bad in games -- and we've seen plenty of Bad Tarke -- it's a hilarious disaster.  Like, stop shooting dude, they're leaving you open for a reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Didn’t ever say he needed to start.  Just need him back in the rotation.   Can’t dump all these guys or it’s a total rebuild.  
Tejada, D-Will, Lowery, May, Tarke & Suilamon core and then add better talent around them.  Let’s face it if we don’t add a legit Frontcourt veteran transfer that can score then we are a 12 win team next season.  

I didn't say dump everyone. But some have to go if you want to improve your team. I think we can figure out who and I wrote in another thread that we probably will never play like Charleston, but our goal is not to dribble the ball incessantly for 25 seconds. It's to move the ball. If you get the wrong type of players for your offense and you don't have many options at the 2 or combo guard, you wind up with Tarke playing about 30 minutes at the 1 and 2 and taking some questionable shots. 

so close.. if we pull that out we go dancing.... 90% chance of winning the game with 4 minutes left according to espn. tragic...... tried to keep my hopes low but man we had it. 

There are approximately 362 division 1 basketball programs.  You need very few players on a basketball team, unlike in football, to make a splash in a particular year (a splash is not a championship).  Who knows how NIL  will shake out but I can’t see how a program like Towson will benefit.  The resources just are not there.  Be careful what you wish for in dismissing Skerry and the players you guys are mentioning.  Every coach for those 362 programs wants to keep their job and fights like hell to pick off players and scrambles up whatever resources they can to pull this player from here and this player from there. Is there any doubt that the corruption of the last 40 years with essentially the same division FBS football teams dominating each and every year was not a coincidence?  The same teams don’t win for that long because they just have a great coach.  They buy mother’s a new home and they buy family new vehicles and many other ways.  Now NIL is expanding the corruption and schools like Alabama know that the gravy train is over and Alabama will lose players they never would have lost in the past for the foreseeable future. 

My point is, is that no one knows how this will shake out because we are in the wild wild west stage.  Money is being thrown all over the place and I don’t know who you are going to bring in here that is going to be able to satisfy you guys in this type of environment for any extended period of time, because I think it can easily get substantially worse for a program like Towson.  The days of complaining that we need this type of player or a coach that understands this or that, I think may be over because it just may not matter more than who can pay off the most players.  I don’t believe you can get a Gary Neal, Jerrelle Benimon and Terrance West to come to Towson or certainly stay.   Those days seem to be over.  You may get lucky and get this kid to come here and the team then has a decent year but Towson dominating in the CAA seems highly unlikely and not because of Skerry.  I’m not sure Skerry hasn’t done a heck of a job so far.  I look at that Delaware performance against Hofstra.  Just a terrible display of basketball from a school that has a lot more resources than us and I wonder what you guys would say about the Delaware coach if you were fans?  They got smoked by an average Hofstra team when it mattered.  That game was not competitive.

I certainly wouldn’t want to coach in college sports in this environment and I think a lot of veteran coach's agree with me.  If you are a young coach and doesn't have money you join the corruption because that is the current system.  You keep moving from program to program seeking out a place that has more resources.  Resources are going to convince young coaches to take a job.  Experienced coaches that have made their money are going to retire.

1 hour ago, omniland said:

There are approximately 362 division 1 basketball programs.  You need very few players on a basketball team, unlike in football, to make a splash in a particular year (a splash is not a championship).  Who knows how NIL  will shake out but I can’t see how a program like Towson will benefit.  The resources just are not there.  Be careful what you wish for in dismissing Skerry and the players you guys are mentioning.  Every coach for those 362 programs wants to keep their job and fights like hell to pick off players and scrambles up whatever resources they can to pull this player from here and this player from there. Is there any doubt that the corruption of the last 40 years with essentially the same division FBS football teams dominating each and every year was not a coincidence?  The same teams don’t win for that long because they just have a great coach.  They buy mother’s a new home and they buy family new vehicles and many other ways.  Now NIL is expanding the corruption and schools like Alabama know that the gravy train is over and Alabama will lose players they never would have lost in the past for the foreseeable future. 

My point is, is that no one knows how this will shake out because we are in the wild wild west stage.  Money is being thrown all over the place and I don’t know who you are going to bring in here that is going to be able to satisfy you guys in this type of environment for any extended period of time, because I think it can easily get substantially worse for a program like Towson.  The days of complaining that we need this type of player or a coach that understands this or that, I think may be over because it just may not matter more than who can pay off the most players.  I don’t believe you can get a Gary Neal, Jerrelle Benimon and Terrance West to come to Towson or certainly stay.   Those days seem to be over.  You may get lucky and get this kid to come here and the team then has a decent year but Towson dominating in the CAA seems highly unlikely and not because of Skerry.  I’m not sure Skerry hasn’t done a heck of a job so far.  I look at that Delaware performance against Hofstra.  Just a terrible display of basketball from a school that has a lot more resources than us and I wonder what you guys would say about the Delaware coach if you were fans?  They got smoked by an average Hofstra team when it mattered.  That game was not competitive.

I certainly wouldn’t want to coach in college sports in this environment and I think a lot of veteran coach's agree with me.  If you are a young coach and doesn't have money you join the corruption because that is the current system.  You keep moving from program to program seeking out a place that has more resources.  Resources are going to convince young coaches to take a job.  Experienced coaches that have made their money are going to retire.

If this is the case, just give him a lifetime contract and be done with it.

Last night’s debacle had nothing to do with NIL, and a great deal to do with dubious coaching decisions.

Change always brings concerns of the unknown, but change sometimes is necessary, even if it’s just for the sake of change itself. I’d rather take a risk than continue on the path we’ve been on. The bottom line is getting to the NCAA tournament. Anything short of that is just window dressing. Stony Brook, which I doubt is dripping with NIL money (maybe I’m wrong) is in the championship game in only its second year in the conference. Our coach has failed to make it this far in 13 years. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, omniland said:

Towson has spent over $31mm in a fiscal year on the AD. We are not in the bottom tier of NIL funds in the CAA or the Mid-major landscape.  Towson would be low-mid tier in Conf USA budgets … if we moved with UD. 

You can talk all you want about NIL, Finances, Comparisons in those areas to others. Last nights loss to get to the finals was done with two simple words......BAD COACHING