• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Datres

OFFICIAL CELEBRATION THREAD -- TOWSON 10, MORGAN 0

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=177339

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bs-sp-towson-morgan-football-0903-story.html

BALTIMORE'S COLLEGE TEAM!!!!!

Wow, that was um, ugly to say the least.  But the defense showed plenty of good signs and you can't complain about a shutout.  Enjoy it for a few hours and then get to work because next Saturday is gonna be a real hill to climb.

I didn't think Mahalak was injured. I assumed we pulled him because he was so ineffective. (And listening to Spiro's wrap-up on the ride home, he said the team came out of the game with no injuries.)

I also think this may have been the most hapless offensive performance I've seen from us. (Worse than when we lost at Morgan in RA's first year.) Morgan's self-destructive tendencies are what saved us from a humiliating defeat.

• Like 1

a win is a win but yuck.  that may have been the worst game (both teams) that i have ever seen. comically bad.  defense looked good but it was morgan, the offense.... well we know there wont a coordinator change for a few years.

Naturally happy for the shutout win. The way it was achieved however, wow; this game was an eye opener, unveiling so many problem parts to the puzzle. Six days to figure out improvements. Then one he'll of a test. Just praying we're not walloped unmercifully.

One of the most disappointing wins and opening wins I've ever covered. The lack of ingenuity on offense against a stacked box was shocking. Mahalak was brutal, the receivers couldn't get much separation, the line struggled, the tight ends and fullbacks missed blocks. It was truly ugly. And RA said it himself, "we stunk on offense", and we were outcoached offensively.

I thought they were joking when they came with the OL depth chart. That's not what I saw all summer but maybe that was the plan. To start Rusolillo at left guard and Antonio Harris at left tackle, moving Andrew Garnett to right tackle and D'Mitri Francis as the backup LT. I thought we'd be able to run but didn't think they'd go with single coverage all night and put safeties in the box. Why didn't we try to run with four wideouts and spread them out? IDK. I didn't get the offensive gameplan all night, starting with putting C.J. Williams at the wildcat on the first drive. He got hurt on the play but Rob said he could have gone back in the game.

I don't know what happened with Mahalak or why he went to the locker room. I don't think RA knew. But I know he's better than this. He was better last season in the last three games with a banged up throwing shoulder. Stover was pretty good coming into the game but I think you go back to Morgan next week. Apparently they had it in the gameplan to get Stover some "reps" but I'm sure didn't think he'd be going into the game after MM threw his third pick. He moved the team downfield and hit Morgan Scroggins for a nice game. Morgan Scroggins by the way, is the game receiver, who is being moved to safety and made two tackles tonight.

All in all, incredibly disappointed with the offense and gameplan but I think this is a wake up call. If they play like this against Maryland, they will have negative total yards. And my guess is that some guys were looking ahead or not taking this game as seriously as they should, especially after the Terps downed Texas today.

What can be said?  This was just one pathetic game.  As bad as Morgan was they deserved to win.  They are not a good team but they played a lot better than us.  A lot better.  The stats show it.  They just made one or two mistakes that they couldn't make and we got lucky as heck with basically a give me touchdown.  Worse offensive line performance I have seen since I got involved watching full time in 2005.

We all love football and you guys know what you saw.  I suppose anything is possible but realistically how can you put up such a dismal performance like this and have any hope that this is not going to be a horrible season.  Rhode Island played tough against Central Michigan.  How can we possibly even play close to bottom feeder Rhode Island given this type of talent or lack thereof?  Maybe our defense is decent but I'm confident Morgan is a bad team so I can only place so much stock in shutting out Morgan. 

I may be overreacting but you can go through life not seeing a performance like that from a team you follow in any sport.  17 yards rushing and 85 yards passing against Morgan?  The weather actually held up all night so you really can't even put any blame on that issue.  If things do not improve from last night we are going 1 - 10 and that is not even a difficult prediction.  Who else can we beat on our schedule if this is our talent level?  RA has to somehow do a 180.

As I stated in a different topic thread, if last night is any indication, a 2-3 win season, at best, is in the offing.

As I was sitting in the stands last night, I noticed Morgan loading the box, and asked myself "why aren't we forcing them out of that, by going with 4 wides"?  If I understand that, why was it apparently lost on our offensive coaching staff?

We were thoroughly out coached & but for Morgan shooting itself in the foot on offense, we lose.

And it wasn't lost on me that Rhode Island took an FBS team, Central Michigan, to triple OT.  

• Like 1